You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Mandalorian

Sugar Ape

1 minute ago, PestiRed said:

Disney took no action on the pronouns, they didn’t see it as warranting firing her. It was when she compared herself to holocaust victims that they decided she had to go

She was on borrowed time from that point on.  She was talking bollocks about the Nazis, imagine that, an actor talking bollocks.  Invoking the Holocaust is either sackable or it isn’t.  

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/11/gina-carano-fired-from-the-mandalorian-after-abhorrent-social-media-posts

She might be stupid, she might be wrong. But she’s not getting the part again because of her views, which aren’t that mental. 

If she’d said Trump was a Nazi she’d have been ok. 

The guy being prosecuted for instigating an attempted insurrection? The guy that used a racist conspiracy movement to garner support before running for office? The guy that has encouraged and reinforced reactionary far right movements at practically every opportunity for half a decade?

Yeah, she'd probably have been okay...

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There is nothing particularly "abhorrent" about comparing the treatment of your political allies, when you are on the defensive, to the treatment of Jews in the Holocaust,  a lot of people do it all the time.

Point to the bit where her republican allies are being dragged out of their homes, hoarded onto trains and executed en masse please mate. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Point to the bit where her republican allies are being dragged out of their homes, hoarded onto trains and executed en masse please mate. 

I never said her comparison is accurate, I said it is routinely done when people claim they are being (politically) persecuted. As with other historically well known forms of persecution, depending on their status in a particular culture (she is less likely to compare it with gulags or killing fields and you certainly wouldn't expect the Spanish Inquisition). You are allowed to use outrageous hyperboles.

• Upvote 2

I think she's a bit of a divvy and should probably express her public opinions with more thought and sensitivity. She doesn't deserve to be destroyed because of it or even sacked. If they asked her to apologise about the comparisons she used and she refused then fair enough but who makes this a big thing to create outrage about anyway. Some actress has spoken shite let's elevate her to the cause of all our doom. Rather than explain why her viewpoint is wrong its the immediate attack which then becomes further fuel for what people like her believe. 

Again id let her choke me out and windmill me into the sea.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I never said her comparison is accurate, I said it is routinely done when people claim they are being (politically) persecuted. As with other historically well known forms of persecution, depending on their status in a particular culture (she is less likely to compare it with gulags or killing fields and you certainly wouldn't expect the Spanish Inquisition). You are allowed to use outrageous hyperboles.

I was being an arse. Its not the worst crime isn't he world but you can see why some might get upset. At least she didn't criticise Israel thats all I can say. 

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Note pronouns in the name, not even in the bio. 

(Yes, I know about his sister) 

What's your point?

Not drawing a comparison between something that's actually been happening over recent years to a complete wingnut fantasy are you?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Your periodic reminder that Disney removed black actors from Star Wars posters for the Chinese market, and filmed Mulan in Xianjing province, where authorities are engaged in genocide against the Uyghur minority.

This is a good point.

17 minutes ago, Pidge said:

What's your point?

Not drawing a comparison between something that's actually been happening over recent years to a complete wingnut fantasy are you?

My point is that her post was ‘abhorrent’ because it allegedly referenced the Holocaust, when here’s a bloke showing a pic of the Holocaust (although not a picture of America). He’s the star, and a bloke though. And obviously on the ‘right’ side.  

42 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

My point is that her post was ‘abhorrent’ because it allegedly referenced the Holocaust, when here’s a bloke showing a pic of the Holocaust (although not a picture of America). He’s the star, and a bloke though. And obviously on the ‘right’ side.  

Yeah, imagined persecution is generally held in less regard than actual persecution.

40 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Or he's saying America is potentially doing the same as Nazi Germany. What she has said is just fucking stupid though. Comparing Repubelicans to those in the Holocaust is just idiotic.

Two very different messages and contexts.

Just now, Pidge said:

Yeah, imagined persecution is generally held in less regard than actual persecution.

Her persecution is so imagined she’s been fired, told she won’t be working for Disney again, dropped by her agent and pretty much cancelled. All for saying that dehumanising people for policital beliefs leads to bad places.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Or he's saying America is potentially doing the same as Nazi Germany. What she has said is just fucking stupid though. Comparing Repubelicans to those in the Holocaust is just idiotic.

Two very different messages and contexts.

Where did she do that? 

Hold on, so the argument you agree with is ok, the one you didn’t , well, isn’t.  Really? 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Where did she do that? 

In her tweet.

In the post, the former MMA fighter compared "hating someone for their political views" in the US to the treatment of Jewish people during the Holocaust in Nazi Germany.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56022084

To be fair, it is all the internet. Not hard to find.

Wasn't it Trump and the Republicans inciting hatred? Marching round with semi-automatic rifles intimidating people? Vile rhetoric even down to the intimidating flags etc before they rioted, stormed the Capitol building and killed people?

I mean I know Antifa few a few bins in Portland but the Republicans really don't like it back do they. You pull one of these cunts up on anything and they just lie, deflect, throw ridiculous statements and basically prove what a shit-stain on humanity they really are. The very people that are destroying this world. Vile cunts. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Wasn't it Trump and the Republicans inciting hatred? Marching round with semi-automatic rifles intimidating people? Vile rhetoric even down to the intimidating flags etc before they rioted, stormed the Capitol building and killed people?

I mean I know Antifa few a few bins in Portland but the Republicans really don't like it back do they. You pull one of these cunts up on anything and they just lie, deflect, throw ridiculous statements and basically prove what a shit-stain on humanity they really are. The very people that are destroying this world. Vile cunts. 

Yes, some of them were. But not all 73m were, she certainly wasn’t.  Let’s face it we’d have noticed the massive fucker. 

• Upvote 1