You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Mandalorian

Sugar Ape

Steamed through all of this in about a week, magnificent show. 

Feels like a watershed moment in modern 'nerd' culture or whatever they want to call it too.

For too long now you've had beloved franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Ghostbusters being retconned by twats who cared nothing for the material, very often taking the easy way out and just turning them into half arsed social justice warrior commentary. Then when the traditional fans don't respond to the material, they're accused of being sexist/racist and the rest. 

I watched the new Star Trek discovery after I'd finished this, with some fat spotty bird taking the captain's chair facing off against a 'strong female villain" and some of the worst dialogue and writing I've ever seen on TV. The difference couldn't have been bigger.

The Mandalorian has a diverse cast, it has strong female characters, but they're all in context, they're not indestructible and perfect nor are they bland and boring. And guess what, traditional fans love it.

Let's hope the penny drops now and we see these lazy bastards booted out and replaced with passionate creatives who genuinely love the material and, dare I say it, create good stories with good characters.

I have spoken.

• Upvote 12

Just finished the first season, love it. I have zero expectations of Star Wars these days as I think everything barring the original trilogy is either mediocre or plain shit but the Mandalorian is an outstanding series. After the appalling sequel trilogy I never thought Disney would actually come up with anything decent with Star Wars but boy am I pleasantly surprised by this series.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Just finished the first season, love it. I have zero expectations of Star Wars these days as I think everything barring the original trilogy is either mediocre or plain shit but the Mandalorian is an outstanding series. After the appalling sequel trilogy I never thought Disney would actually come up with anything decent with Star Wars but boy am I pleasantly surprised by this series.

Difference between the sequel trilogy and this?

The creators of this have a clearly defined storyline they want to follow and are happy to use more recognisable characters lovingly when needed but also want to use the new characters to their potential.

The sequels had no defined plan & and were  subject to the whims of each director, where happy to trash existing characters ‘because they could’, created bland uninteresting characters and basically wanted to make as much $$$ as possible without giving a fuck about the history of Star Wars as long as it looked good. 

or if that’s too long the two word answer is Dave Filoni. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gina Carano sacked by Disney for, amongst other things, comparing Republican voters to Jews in Nazi Germany. Personally speaking, they could have sacked her for being a shit actor and no one would have batted an eyelid about it. So now we might get another bump in the Cancel Culture thread.

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Gina Carano sacked by Disney for, amongst other things, comparing Republican voters to Jews in Nazi Germany. Personally speaking, they could have sacked her for being a shit actor and no one would have batted an eyelid about it. So now we might get another bump in the Cancel Culture thread.

She's been peddling anti vax stuff too apparently, nah I think this one is a fair cop. Disney's market is kids and she's in a position of influence. Shame though, good character, I liked her in it.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

She refused to use her pronouns in her bios. 

She had them as bip/boop/beep at one point, which obviously touched a nerve with people who care about stuff like that.

I think it's pretty sad, but that's the way things seem to be going these days, if you aren't sporting an opinion from a pretty narrow range of permitted viewpoints then you run the risk of losing your career.

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

She had them as bip/boop/beep at one point, which obviously touched a nerve with people who care about stuff like that.

I think it's pretty sad, but that's the way things seem to be going these days, if you aren't sporting an opinion from a pretty narrow range of permitted viewpoints then you run the risk of losing your career.

Agree. But it’s not just having the opinion, it’s always having had it, even when it wasn’t a thing. The sins of the past. 

Nah this isn’t a cancel culture outcome. Read up on it more.

She’s been provoking the hand that feeds her for a while, she’s been appearing on a number of shows from some of the ‘Fandom Menace’ saddos that have been known to harass LGBT/elements of minority fans for a number of months. Not to mention constantly attacks her employer Lucasfilm. 

Her being sacked has been coming really, shame she couldn’t see her employer may want to distance themselves from her as a result.

She’s got what was coming to her and it was all rather avoidable, from her part.

Shes obviously a bit of a fucking idiot

• Upvote 1