You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling / Gomez - 'clash'

Jennings

8 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I think the only decent thing to do here is for the FA to ban any Liverpool player from ever playing for England again.

Why leave it up to the FA? Joe Gomez is primarily employed by the organisation known as Liverpool FC and while under the 'protection' of the FA, he has been assaulted by an employee of another organisation known as Manchester City FC. The FA should be brought to task on this as they have allowed this assault to happen, the fallout of the attack has been managed by the FA with seemingly no input from the organisations the individuals represent and the result really should be criminal charges brought against Sterling and his organisation and along witht the FA.

I don't think we've heard the last of this and I believe there were stories of Liverpool FC being very angry with the way it has been handled. If further action is taken, it really could change the landscape of how international matches are managed. The next move should be from Liverpool FC and I for one hope it's the strongest possible move.

The only downside is it would probably rely on Gomez being involved in pursuing any charges, which may not be in his best interests but it would be in the best interests of sorting out the dodgy FA fuckers.

8 hours ago, Anubis said:

I reckon our whole team will be getting booed at away grounds for the next couple of months, until they realise it makes no difference and we twat them regardless. At which point they’ll get bored.

That'll play into our hands. A siege mentality. Worked wonders for Mourinhos Chelsea I remember. 

Back to the booing. I think Southgate had a stinker here. He had two options. Two real options. 

1) he brushes it under the carpet, says fuck all and drops sterling saying he had a little injury. 

2) blasts sterling and sends him home from camp completely for this round of games. 

Instead he pussy footed and admitted something happened but didn't really punish someone for the incident. 

Its the equivalent of saying to your mate. "wait and you hear what happened last night" but then saying "ah no, I wont bother" 

Summary as I see it:

1. This incident has become a storm in a teacup.
  2. Sterling lost it and made a mistake. He’s taken full responsibility for his stupid action. If not fair play to him at least apology accepted
  3. Should we boo Sterling next time? Mixed emotions really. I don’t like booing and think we should rise above booing other team’s players. On the other hand the booing obviously affects his game, so it’s gonna be kind of hard not to.
  4. England fans booing Gomez? Anyone surprised? Really?

• Upvote 1

Joe should wait, like a man-eating octopus in the shallows. 2022 World Cup final. England v Holland. Delicately poised at 1-1 in the last minute of injury time. Gomez on as fresh legs for the extra time. Takes possession of the ball on the edge of his own area. Deftly turns and slots expertly past the despairing tiny arms of Jordan Pickford and into his own net. While a stunned and confused stadium fidgets in silence, Joe coolly walks to a camera on the touchline and, directly addressing the audience, says “Now boo that, you cunts.”

A man can fantasise, can’t he?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Summary as I see it:

2. Sterling lost it and made a mistake. He’s taken full responsibility for his stupid action. If not fair play to him at least apology accepted
  3. Should we boo Sterling next time? Mixed emotions really. I don’t like booing and think we should rise above booing other team’s players. On the other hand the booing obviously affects his game, so it’s gonna be kind of hard not to.

That dog is already off the leash.  No putting the genie back in the bottle on that one, and the dippit cunt has brought the whole lot on himself.

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Joe should wait, like a man-eating octopus in the shallows. 2022 World Cup final. England v Holland. Delicately poised at 1-1 in the last minute of injury time. Gomez on as fresh legs for the extra time. Takes possession of the ball on the edge of his own area. Deftly turns and slots expertly past the despairing tiny arms of Jordan Pickford and into his own net. While a stunned and confused stadium fidgets in silence, Joe coolly walks to a camera on the touchline and, directly addressing the audience, says “Now boo that, you cunts.”

Greatest ever moment in football

This whole thing is basically over a fuck-all incident of the sort that happens between players fairly regularly. The vast majority of the time, they sort the matter out between themselves, move on and go back to being mates again. That's clearly been the case here between Gomez and Sterling. For very obvious reasons, the media have been complicit in turning this whole thing into a shitstorm that gets every S*n-reading, Leave-voting, BoJo-loving, Carling-chugging, six-fingered, web-footed, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Ingurlund twatbiscuit to demonstrate their stupidity. It wasn't long ago when these knobheads were booing Sterling for not reproducing his club form in an England shirt, just like they used to boo John Barnes.

While Sterling has said that booing Gomez was wrong because he'd done absolutely nothing wrong, that very same sentiment should have been clearly pointed out by Sterling, Southgate and co immediately after the incident on Monday. They could have nipped it in the bud before the media could make a bigger deal out of it, but instead we've had Sterling's PR offensive and Southgate trying to demonstrate that he's still in charge by 'disciplining' Sterling (read: resting a player who wouldn't be needed for the team to batter the hapless Montenegrins anyway), leaving the media to continue to stir the shit.

All this before the usual eve-of-a-tournament guff from the English press which alternates between calling the England team world-beaters and trying to find some salacious off-the-field shit to hammer certain individuals over.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

Southgate actually came over as being somewhat apologetic about the whole affair. Fair play to him for suspending Sterling for last nights game, but I get the feeling that was more of a team decision. Southgate will always whistle to the tune of the F.A. 

What have we learned from this?

Players sometimes have bust ups ,a significant number of England supporters are knuckle-dragging morons and most pundits are agenda driven cock suckers.

Personally I don’t think it’s worth jumping out of my pram over as it’s not a revelation. Heads down , win the league and let them spout shite ; nothing new here. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Summary as I see it:

I wasn’t booing him or singing the greedy bastard song at Anfield last weekend in part because I don’t like it, but honestly more because I expect it to bite me in the arse.

while I don’t really like sterling, and think he comes across as a bit of a twat, I don’t particularly dislike him either. 

When he left us I did, but no more so than I disliked coutinho for it, and far less than I disliked Owen and Torres for it.

generally speaking, “fuck him” is my view.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Reminded me of the Joker that, "You get what you fucking deserve."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I wasn’t booing him or singing the greedy bastard song at Anfield last weekend in part because I don’t like it, but honestly more because I expect it to bite me in the arse.

while I don’t really like sterling, and think he comes across as a bit of a twat, I don’t particularly dislike him either. 

When he left us I did, but no more so than I disliked coutinho for it, and far less than I disliked Owen and Torres for it.

generally speaking, “fuck him” is my view.

He's been pretty shite against us, last match an exception but even then he didn't score. He's clearly upset by the boo's and the negativity towards him.

Players are different, some might play better if they're abused by other teams fans. For others the effect is the opposite, as you could argue is the case with Sterling.

Put it to the extremes our booing or not could decide the league title next season. In that context booing is elementary, no matter how much we don't like it.

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

He's been pretty shite against us, last match an exception but even then he didn't score. He's clearly upset by the boo's and the negativity towards him.

Players are different, some might play better if they're abused by other teams fans. For others the effect is the opposite, as you could argue is the case with Sterling.

Put it to the extremes our booing or not could decide the league title next season. In that context booing is elementary, no matter how much we don't like it.

Yeah, I don’t have a big problem with others doing it. I don’t see it as anything to avoid doing. 

but I’m not doing it. Like I’m not calling a player who’s about to come on as sub “shite” even if I know they are and have just thought it.

im not one for superstition most of the time, but I’m not doing those things.

• Upvote 1