You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling / Gomez - 'clash'

Jennings

2 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

"P.S. Football fans really need to get over this notion of players having to remain at a club until they retire or the club decides you're not worth having around anymore. People switch jobs for different reasons, including more money, all the time, why should football be different? And Raheem wasn't even a badge-kisser. World class footballers can og wherever they please. Its the job of the people running Liverpool Football Club to make it a sufficiently attractive proposition to stay, and they've finally nailed it."

It was Sterling and his agent going cry arsing to the BBC that pissed people off, not the fact that he wanted to leave.

No it's not, people would've found an excuse to hate him nonetheless, especially since it was City. I worshipped Xabi Alonso like a god, but his exit was much less dramatic because Rafa wanted him out. so he didn't need to kick up a fuss to get the move he wanted. Sterling obviously felt he needed to. I'm not defending that. I'm just pointing out that you can't be surprised that players react when they've been completely dehumanized by the watching public, up to a point where it's deemd alright to shout absolutely anything you want at him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 05 Milan said:

Where has he claimed that? And what has he done to piss you off so much, BTW?

And I'm not specifically talking about Sterling here, it's the wider issue. We had Evertonians singing "the baby's not yours". I saw a video recently of someone mocking a Celtic player for his sister dying. Have you ever stopped to consider what type of society you live in where stuff like this gets shrugged off after a couple of minutes of click-baiting outrage? I know it's rich for me to sit up in happy, cozy Norway and preach about this, but I've always found it quite shocking to see the level of hatred that British people can generate about their neighbours.

It is unfortunately the nature of the game and has been for years, would be lovely if it stopped, the likelihood is very low. Someone mentioned people online, with their supposed anonymity I see that as just as bad. Even without anonymity they post despicable stuff about Sean Cox among others.

As for Raheem, maybe he might be better keeping his swinging hands to himself.

From sunny Liverpool.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He wasn’t particularly liked when he was here. 

He was part of the SSS at Liverpool, at City he's part of the SAD...Sterling, Augero, de Bruyne. 

Personally I think Sane is just as good, if not better. 

ROFL! 

Why years of vilification after Anfield exit may be at root of Raheem Sterling meltdown
It was a huge game for Manchester City at Anfield on Sunday, a chance to halve Liverpool’s six-point lead over the visitors and put down a marker while slowing their rivals’ formidable march.

It was no less so for Raheem Sterling and, as the fallout from his bust-up with Joe Gomez is hungrily dissected, that loss of control for which the City forward has subsequently apologised appears to have its roots in a lot more than just frustration at a particularly damaging defeat.

Liverpool is not just any game for Sterling. His departure from Anfield in 2015 was one of the most acrimonious of the Premier League era and he has been feverishly targeted with boos and chants of “there’s only one greedy b------” whenever he returns to the club he once called home.

There has certainly been a feeling among those close to him that so much of the vilification and vitriol he received in the media was borne, in part, by what he felt were Liverpool’s attempts to paint him as the villain of the piece during and after his £49 million transfer to City.

Sterling quickly became typecast as a bad-boy mercenary who had moved primarily for a £180,000-a-week salary worth double what was on offer at Anfield, even if his now bulging trophy cabinet dictates otherwise, and, whether a seed was sown or not, a wave of vacuous “stories” with an uncomfortable undertone would follow in certain outlets.

Remember the one about him buying a sausage roll from Greggs and having the temerity to eat it in a “£500,000 limited edition Bentley”? Or that one about him shopping in Poundworld, as if that was some sort of mortal sin for such a wealthy individual? And so the list goes on.

He would later joke that he had one of those faces “people don’t like” but the watershed moment came after he was abused during City’s 2-0 defeat at Chelsea in December last year and responded in an Instagram post by accusing some sections of the media of helping to “fuel racism” through their portrayal of young black footballers.

This, of course, is not to excuse Sterling’s behaviour towards Gomez but it might help to offer some context to why the City forward reacted so disproportionately the day after his shove from the Liverpool defender in the closing minutes of Sunday’s 3-1 defeat. One source on Tuesday suggested the Liverpool game had become “totally acidic” for Sterling and perhaps his second clash with Gomez, at St George’s Park after reporting for England duty, was an unacceptable unloading of years of pent-up frustration whenever he visits Anfield.

Sterling had actually been quite calm in the dressing room after the game and had appeared to patch things up with Gomez but something snapped in him on Monday. It is worth noting that Sterling has never suggested he is a saint, even if the narrative has swung so wildly now that people seem wary of even legitimate, constructive criticism. He just asked for some fairness and balance.

Equally, no player rises to the very top without having some bite and fight. Any of the kids at Rainhill High School, where Sterling was sent after joining Liverpool in 2012, will tell you this was a lad who would stand up for himself if he felt maligned and the club’s coaches learned very quickly that he was no pushover on the pitch. His first game for one of Liverpool’s junior sides was against bitter rivals Everton at Finch Farm and Sterling was flattened in the opening exchanges by Luke Garbutt, who had not long arrived from Leeds United.. But Sterling’s reaction was not to retreat but to face down such provocation and he went on to produce a man-of-the-match performance.

Sterling’s ascent, his metamorphosis from a shot-shy forward to a hungry, obsessive goalscorer, has been clear for all to see over the past year especially and he is now widely regarded as one of Europe’s best attackers, one with 18 goals in 21 games for club and country this season. Anfield, then, represented something of a final hurdle for a player who has too often gone missing in action at a ground he has yet to score in since leaving Liverpool. That statistic did not change on Sunday but it was comfortably Sterling’s strongest showing at his former club and the emotion after another rancorous reunion finally appeared to get the better of him.

The surprise, perhaps, is that he had not snapped before now.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/13/years-vilification-anfield-exit-may-root-raheem-sterling-meltdown/

Guest Pistonbroke

It's pathetic how the media are trying to turn the attention away from the culprit. One would think they have an agenda, both against us and for the pin up boy they have made their Anti Racist spokesman. Plenty of them probably couldn't give a shit about Racism, they just want to attract readers. 

Fuck me, you'd think that no other footballer has had any negative shit sung against him or booed by his former club. Look at the shit Gerrard had/and still has to put up with because he fucking slipped. The Uk media is fucking shit, no wonder the rest of the World laugh at them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

City were singing that Gerrard song within the first minute 

They also attempted to drown out our anthem at the start, I do hope our players and staff have received the appropriate counselling. 

Fucking hell, prima fucking donna multi millionaires with a lifestyle most would kill for, my fucking heart bleeds for the poor bastards.

I'm not saying that abusing people is good, but in a sport where rivals and perceived traitors are given stick some of these fuckers need to 'man up' and get over themselves. 

Three points and nine points clear of the cheating entitled fuckers. That's all that matters to me, if the little shit can't handle some stick at Anfield without emotions getting the better of him then maybe that's his issue. As he's a damned decent footballer these days then I'd suggest we increase the pressure if it means he doesn't perform as he usually does against lesser teams. Maybe though it's not the pressure, maybe he's only good against shit opponents, maybe that's it. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I imagine the media/ex and current players response would have been totally different had it been Harry Kane/Pickford/ or Harry Maguire instead of Joe Gomez of Liverpool. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd have my daily shit fully naked in the centre circle of a packed Ibrox giving me abuse and throwing stuff at me for 250k a week or whatever he is on. I wouldn't even look up form my copy of An Phoblacht. 

Preview of Jairzinho's new signature.

• Upvote 1