You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling / Gomez - 'clash'

Jennings

I don't think Sterling's a bad guy. Tensions run high between him and Liverpool. We boo him all game and our players are always very physical with him, sometimes on the borderline of dirty. It's not surprising that he's wanting to fight back, although obviously he shouldn't be assaulting Gomez. It just shows we have real estate in his head. 

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The comments about his background, growing up on a council estate, campaigning against racism were all brought up before anyone knew about a scratch on Gomez’s face. 

Plenty have praised him on his stance against racism. I think it's fair to question his overall attitude towards it being as he was so quiet in regards to his team mate. I also think the comments about his background and growing up on a council estate are due to how he acts on the football pitch, trying to be a billy big bollocks when there is no need. I don't see what is so unpleasant about that. Or are ex players exempt from the grilling that goes on on these forums from all walks of life because people perceive them as cunts? Personally I couldn't give a shit about his background before he made it. Fair play for using his status to call out racists as well, but I also get the feeling that he plays on that as in regards to the less savoury stuff he gets himself involved with. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think Sterling's a bad guy. Tensions run high between him and Liverpool. We boo him all game and our players are always very physical with him, sometimes on the borderline of dirty. It's not surprising that he's wanting to fight back, although obviously he shouldn't be assaulting Gomez. It just shows we have real estate in his head. 

I think he's a tit quite frankly. Just my opinion though.

He's thick as pig shit,  the racism stuff was nothing more than great work by his agent.   Plenty fell for it though,  hook line and sinker. 

Mario Ballotelli has spoke out more about racism than this wee rat and I don't see him being held up as some great spokesperson. 

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

You can throw in his comments about never hearing racism until he got to Liverpool, and he can fuck off.

I will say I think what he said about the Bernardo Silva incident is hugely hypocritical and like you point out, what he said about Liverpool in that respect was ridiculous.

He's been a lot more effective campaigning against the media than against racism. That's the one area for me where he's been out of line because he's picked and chosen what he's believed to be racist in a self-serving way. 

But besides that, I don't mind him. 

12 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I also think the comments about his background and growing up on a council estate are due to how he acts on the football pitch, trying to be a billy big bollocks when there is no need. I don't see what is so unpleasant about that.

Or are ex players exempt from the grilling that goes on on these forums from all walks of life because people perceive them as cunts? Personally I couldn't give a shit about his background before he made it. 

Because you can’t have gobby little cunts from a well off family? 

I don’t for one second think he’s an angel and I’ll happily boo him. 

I just don’t like the tone of some of the criticism of him. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
20 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Because you can’t have gobby little cunts from a well off family? 

I don’t for one second think he’s an angel and I’ll happily boo him. 

I just don’t like the tone of some of the criticism of him. 

Obviously you get cunts from all walks of life, I really don't know if those who brought up his upbringing have a deep hatred of people who went through the same circumstances, you'd have to ask them. I don't find the criticism unpleasant myself, and I was brought up on a council estate my entire childhood. It's the Internet mate, and plenty of us use the wrong wording when trying to put a point across. 

Guest Pistonbroke

On a side note, any comments from myself about him being a cunt are purely from a football prospective and how he acts on the pitch, comments made in relation to the sport, Liverpool and indeed this altercation with Gomez. I don't know the lad away from the pitch and can only go by what others who know him and what they have said about him, apparently he's a decent bloke, but mates normally say those kind of things. His comments about never facing racism until he moved to Liverpool are a bit hard to swallow mind. Was that in an attempt to gain favour with City fans? It was a stupid thing to say though, and about as believable as the bearded man in the sky controlling everything. 

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I will say I think what he said about the Bernardo Silva incident is hugely hypocritical and like you point out, what he said about Liverpool in that respect was ridiculous.

He's been a lot more effective campaigning against the media than against racism. That's the one area for me where he's been out of line because he's picked and chosen what he's believed to be racist in a self-serving way. 

But besides that, I don't mind him. 

That was a brilliant move, almost certainly well advised. From a villain to a saint overnight.

48 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

No I don’t remember it as I didn’t even know about it to start with. 

But you do now. And as you lie in darkness each night it will crawl into your dreams, scratching and clawing at your consciousness, eating away at your rest.

At least until you start thinking about what you’re going to cook for breakfast.