You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling / Gomez - 'clash'

Jennings

What's this about? Seems more than a '5-10 second thing', if it meant Sterling was dropped from his national side.

Must be more to it.

Raheem Sterling dropped by England after Joe Gomez clash before Euro 2020 qualifier

• From the sectionEngland
Raheem Sterling and Joe Gomez
England team-mates Joe Gomez and Raheem Sterling during Sunday's Premier League match at Anfield, where Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-1

Forward Raheem Sterling admitted "emotions got the better of me" after being dropped for England's Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro following a clash with team-mate Joe Gomez.

The Football Association said Sterling had been dropped "as a result of a disturbance in a private team area".

The Manchester City player, 24, then took to social media to confirm "a five to 10 second thing" with Liverpool's Joe Gomez, 22, in the England camp.

But he added the pair were now "good".

The pair had an on-field argument during the Reds' 3-1 Premier League victory at Anfield on Sunday.

"Both Joe and I have had words and figured things out and moved on," Sterling said via his Instagram account on Tuesday.

"We are in a sport where emotions run high and I am man enough to admit when emotions got the better of me.

"This is why we play this sport because of our love for it - me and Joe Gomez are good, we both understand it was a five to 10 second thing... it's done, we move forward and not make this bigger than it is.

"Let's get focus on our game on Thursday," Sterling added.

England boss Gareth Southgate said: "Unfortunately the emotions of yesterday's game were still raw.

"One of the great challenges and strengths for us is that we've been able to separate club rivalries from the national team.

"We have taken the decision to not consider Raheem for the match against Montenegro on Thursday. My feeling is that the right thing for the team is the action we have taken.

Reading that article, Sterling realised his error and apologised. Was the error that he tried to start a fight with a man twice his size? Maybe next time he will pick on someone smaller than him. Good luck with that, shortarse!

3 minutes ago, rotoq said:

Sterling grabbing someone by the throat? 

"You wait right there cunt, I'm away to get my step ladder."

Maybe the problem was he tried to grab by the throat and grabbed his balls. 

He’s so rattled by Liverpool.  It goes to show all the booing and calling him a greedy bastard at games is doing it’s job.  The fucking snake.  He might have won the league at city and earn more money but he clearly knows how hollow it all is.  Gomez clearly knew what buttons to push.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Guest said:

He’s so rattled by Liverpool.  It goes to show all the booing and calling him a greedy bastard at games is doing it’s job.  The fucking snake.  He might have won the league at city and earn more money but he clearly knows how hollow it all is.  Gomez clearly knew what buttons to push.

I wonder how his next trip to Anfield will go after this ?

He's a proper fucking bell end, leaving one one Van Dijk and trying to start a scrap with Gomez.  Either one of them would pound him into a bloodied pulp.  This just confirms what we suspected, he is an utter fucking prick.

Those cunts are welcome to him.

5 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

I wonder how his next trip to Anfield will go after this ?

He's a proper fucking bell end, leaving one one Van Dijk and trying to start a scrap with Gomez.  Either one of them would pound him into a bloodied pulp.  This just confirms what we suspected, he is an utter fucking prick.

Those cunts are welcome to him.

He definitely thinks he’s some sort of gangster.  I don’t think Gomez actually did anything to him.  I’ve watched the clip of the coming together and he’s jockeying sterling and it’s something you see literally a hundred times a game.  He was so rattled over nothing.

It'll make the stupid cunt more determined to have an impact when we go to their place.  It could be difficult for us if he has a positive impact as he gave Alexander Arnold a tough time in the second half on Sunday.  Or if he has a shocker (which he often does against us) it could lead to a red card as the frustration gets the better of him.  He's now got an official record of lashing out in frustration and being punished for it, it's an interesting option to explore when we go to theirs.  Just needle the cunt into imploding.

18 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

It'll make the stupid cunt more determined to have an impact when we go to their place.  It could be difficult for us if he has a positive impact as he gave Alexander Arnold a tough time in the second half on Sunday.  Or if he has a shocker (which he often does against us) it could lead to a red card as the frustration gets the better of him.  He's now got an official record of lashing out in frustration and being punished for it, it's an interesting option to explore when we go to theirs.  Just needle the cunt into imploding.

He should have had a red on Sunday actually - his hissy fit of dissent in the first half, an arm in Mane's face in the 2nd, clattering Virgil towards the end, and being an all round pathetic twat for 90 minutes.

• Upvote 4

It's good to see Gomez come out of this looking squeaky clean, but I get no pleasure out of seeing Sterling take the fall. He's rattled a few bigoted cages on the Street of Shame of late, good on him. The denizens of those cages will be merciless in their gloating. It will not be a pretty sight.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, DaveT said:

He should have had a red on Sunday actually - his hissy fit of dissent in the first half, an arm in Mane's face in the 2nd, clattering Virgil towards the end, and being an all round pathetic twat for 90 minutes.

If we'd have had a player sent off for any combination of those nothing incidents I would be fuming.

The main positive of the whole affair is that we are indubitably getting into the Man City heads.

Sums up City no marks who have suddenly without earning it have become the best team in the country and are used to all teams rolling over for them (which 99% do) and now suddenly they're being challenged by a team every bit as good as them  they don't like it one bit 

• Upvote 2