You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Mbappe top transfer target for Reds

TLW

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

From a Nike point of view they know that he's going to move to one of the big two league sooner rather than later, so they would want him to go to either Barcelona or us. 

The Perception that he might come here though is good for the club, and shows that we are a realistic option for the very top players.

What perception.   Our manager has rubbished it and the slightest bit of common sense says it's a no go. 

In fact you really don't want mbappe in the premier League cause that means he's in Manchester. 

5 hours ago, Grinch said:

Funny as fuck seeing grown men believe this.   The wages make it impossible for us. 

Do you think the rest of our top players are just going to sit on their contracts whilst mbappe swans in from the French league, proved fuck all at the club and earning at least double, pure fucking fantasy. 

Ha, ha, ha!!! Your schtick is hilarious. Impressive consistency too to be so miserable through such an incredible time to be a Red. Kudos. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Ha, ha, ha!!! Your schtick is hilarious. Impressive consistency too to be so miserable through such an incredible time to be a Red. Kudos. 

It's called being realistic.   The notion that a team that never spends outside their means is about to smash their wage budget is quite frankly lunacy

Shouldn't really surprise me when plenty of muppets thought we could have bought Aguero instead of Carroll cause the fee was in the same ballpark. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What a great call from Grinch rubbishing these incredibly realistic and concrete rumours that we'll sign Mbappe. Clearly the only one in this thread, nay this forum, with any sense and foresight. 

Not really, anyone with the slightest bit of common sense knows it's impossible. 

By all accounts, the new Nike deal isn't worth a record breaking amount upfront. So they must have some add ons.

Mbappe is one of their global superstars, and is only going to get better.

Can't seem them "allowing" him to go to Real Madrid (Adidas) or Citeh (Puma).

Which leaves Barcelona and us.

Barca could have the edge, seeing as they're on a bit of a decline, and Messi won't be around too much longer. Mbappe would be top dog there.

Conversely, we've been on an upward trajectory for the last few years, reached 3 european finals in a row, and humiliated Barca last year.

So I'm going all in on our new Oregon overlords!

If we were to win the League and go to the Semi Final/ Final of the Champions league, then the likelihood of this transfer wouldn’t surprise me.

Not much in football does these days.

Nike would likely have some input, after all they would want to maximise their potential sales.
The only thing I’m not certain of is the potential for Klopp to accept a player.who might end up being like Neymar, pleasing himself what he wants to do and when he wants to do it and with his entourage upsetting all and sundry.

These type of players are gaining enough financial influence to be at a level even above their clubs, and I don’t believe FSG are likely to want to have that kind of “opposition” to their authority in the club.

As has been said, Sanchez and/or Werner are more likely targets, although I don’t know if they are tied up with Nike or not.

6 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

Sounds mad even typing this I know but what if we just went over there and slapped the money on the table. £215 million. The ball would be in their court. Something to think about surely?

It should go like this:

After last summer's non-spend we are now left with a £200m and £500k/week situation. Go throw it at PSG, offer them their asking price for Mbappe and see what they actually say when we slap it on the table.

Honestly it sounds mental even typing this out but money talks in football. If we are serious about making a statement then we couldn't make a bigger one than this.

• 6 months later...

Klopp should be on the phone to him daily. "Have you seen Money Heist?" "Do you reckon that rocket will launch on Saturday?" "When did you last wash your hair?" "Do you want to go down in history as the greatest striker for the greatest club side ever to play football?" 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

As obvious a come-and-get me plea as it comes. Get it done John.

Those quotes are older than Tony's Ma.