You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Mbappe top transfer target for Reds

TLW

My original comment was going to be "£215 million? You could build a stadium for that. Hell you could build an airport!" 

After a brief bit of research I've realised that isn't true. While the runway at Washington Dulles International Airport cost $356 million that doesn't take the terminals and other facilities into account. A decent airport is going to run you at least a couple of billion. The only one measured in hundreds of millions was King Shaka International Airport was completed at a cost of $900 million.

You win this round Kylian Mbappe. You win this round.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

I'm in the minority here, but I don't think the idea of signing Mbappe is as mad as it sounds. 

We have got a great team, and some incredibly talented young players coming through, so we are going to be a team that only adds real quality in to our squad.

We've paid a then record fee for a defender, and a record fee for a goalkeeper so its not crazy to suggest we would replace Salah with Mbappe?

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm in the minority here, but I don't think the idea of signing Mbappe is as mad as it sounds. 

We have got a great team, and some incredibly talented young players coming through, so we are going to be a team that only adds real quality in to our squad.

We've paid a then record fee for a defender, and a record fee for a goalkeeper so its not crazy to suggest we would replace Salah with Mbappe?

You are talking 3 times the value of both of them. Not happening and nor should it.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are talking 3 times the value of both of them. Not happening and nor should it.

I think it's very unlikely, but not out of the question. 

The Echo have been doing articles over the last few months suggesting how we would do it, so if it were completely out of the question I think they'd just make light of it and completely dismiss it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-transfer-kylian-mbappe-2020-16455060

Personally I think Mbappe will go to Madrid and Sancho is a more likely summer signing.  

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think it's very unlikely, but not out of the question. 

The Echo have been doing articles over the last few months suggesting how we would do it, so if it were completely out of the question I think they'd just make light of it and completely dismiss it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-transfer-kylian-mbappe-2020-16455060

Personally I think Mbappe will go to Madrid and Sancho is a more likely summer signing.  

Amortisation seems to be new concept to the Echo 

9 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I agree that it's not totally mad, but it's pretty close.

Our most expensive player to date is Virgil. Between the amortization of fee and wages he costs us about £25m/year. Due to his lower fee, Salah is probably costing us around £20m/year.

So the idea that we'd sell Salah and go out and get a player who, even in the crazy event he signed a 6-year deal like Alisson did, would be at least £34m on fee alone, plus whatever crazy wages he'd get, probably nowhere near the £34m that article claims, but you'd have to guess it would be at least £25m for sure makes close to £60m/year.

The only thing that makes it even remotely plausible is the fact that Nike might pay him some chunk of those wages to move to us and we were clearly hoarding our pennies last summer. But even then, the idea that we'd go from our most expensive player being £25m/year to £60m/year in one go is pretty far-fetched. You'd have to think it would be with the thinking that when he's been here for 4-5 years (he'd still be under 26!) he'd be sold to Barca or Real for a billion quid, something like that.

I think a summer where we add Aouar and one of Sancho/Werner probably makes a lot more sense to be honest. We do need to get younger, which Salah -> Mbappe certainly does, it's just that there are other ways to do it that don't look so financially crazy.

• Upvote 3

I'd be amazed if Edwards and Gordon aren't looking hard at this deal and haven't been for a while. Klopp asked last summer how you improve on what we already have. Well that's easy: you sign the next "Best Player In the World"; a lad who at twenty is already a sensation and has at least a decade ahead of him at the very top of the game. Mbappe is the sort of player who is so exciting that he might make Klopp sign that new deal.

So how do we get him? Well, firstly we fold two summers' worth of spending into one. So far, so good. Secondly we might have to sell a big player. Want Mo to go? No thanks. Want Mbappe but have to sacrifice Mo to get him? Er, OK then. Thirdly we might need some help from a massive global business with a vested interest in both our success and the player's. Enter Nike stage right. We'd probably also have to be seen as the best club in world football. OK so we're currently in the top two; I guess we'll have to just win the league and push deep into the latter stages of Europe for the third season on the bounce. Might need a relationship with the player's closest advisor. One that might look a bit like that video of Kloppo getting shouted over by Mbappe senior at the FIFA awards thing and being greeted like a long lost brother.

So Klopp has talked it down, but so what? He's always a cagey as fuck about transfers. And besides I was reminded only yesterday when reading a piece on us that he had to be talked into going for Virgil by Edwards and Gordon because he couldn't get his head round the finances being viable. How did that one turn out? Despite his four years with us where he's been able to spend at the very top end of the market (remember that, everyone?), he still thinks about football finances like the bloke who ran lowly little Mainz and got stitched by Bayern every summer for his best players because they could.

No, we are definitely serious about trying for Mbappe. Whether that means we get him or not is an entirely different matter, but I tell you what - if the competition is Real Madrid, then I reckon we're in the driving seat because they're on the brink financially and not fit to lace our boots on the pitch.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Ginny said:

I’ve been on this forum for around 10 years and been through some dark times. The way we are now and even to be linked with Mbappe and talking about on here makes me happy. We’ve come a long way. 

Noob

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Ginny said:

I’ve been on this forum for around 10 years and been through some dark times. The way we are now and even to be linked with Mbappe and talking about on here makes me happy. We’ve come a long way. 

We’ve come a long, long way together. Through the hard times and the good. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I'd be amazed if Edwards and Gordon aren't looking hard at this deal and haven't been for a while. Klopp asked last summer how you improve on what we already have. Well that's easy: you sign the next "Best Player In the World"; a lad who at twenty is already a sensation and has at least a decade ahead of him at the very top of the game. Mbappe is the sort of player who is so exciting that he might make Klopp sign that new deal.

So how do we get him? Well, firstly we fold two summers' worth of spending into one. So far, so good. Secondly we might have to sell a big player. Want Mo to go? No thanks. Want Mbappe but have to sacrifice Mo to get him? Er, OK then. Thirdly we might need some help from a massive global business with a vested interest in both our success and the player's. Enter Nike stage right. We'd probably also have to be seen as the best club in world football. OK so we're currently in the top two; I guess we'll have to just win the league and push deep into the latter stages of Europe for the third season on the bounce. Might need a relationship with the player's closest advisor. One that might look a bit like that video of Kloppo getting shouted over by Mbappe senior at the FIFA awards thing and being greeted like a long lost brother.

So Klopp has talked it down, but so what? He's always a cagey as fuck about transfers. And besides I was reminded only yesterday when reading a piece on us that he had to be talked into going for Virgil by Edwards and Gordon because he couldn't get his head round the finances being viable. How did that one turn out? Despite his four years with us where he's been able to spend at the very top end of the market (remember that, everyone?), he still thinks about football finances like the bloke who ran lowly little Mainz and got stitched by Bayern every summer for his best players because they could.

No, we are definitely serious about trying for Mbappe. Whether that means we get him or not is an entirely different matter, but I tell you what - if the competition is Real Madrid, then I reckon we're in the driving seat because they're on the brink financially and not fit to lace our boots on the pitch.

Klopp has said definitely no chance so I doubt he’s playing games. 

Funny as fuck seeing grown men believe this.   The wages make it impossible for us. 

Do you think the rest of our top players are just going to sit on their contracts whilst mbappe swans in from the French league, proved fuck all at the club and earning at least double, pure fucking fantasy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Funny as fuck seeing grown men believe this.   The wages make it impossible for us. 

Do you think the rest of our top players are just going to sit on their contracts whilst mbappe swans in from the French league, proved fuck all at the club and earning at least double, pure fucking fantasy. 

You'd give an aspirin a headache 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

From a Nike point of view they know that he's going to move to one of the big two league sooner rather than later, so they would want him to go to either Barcelona or us. 

The Perception that he might come here though is good for the club, and shows that we are a realistic option for the very top players.