You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Genk 1 (Nov 5 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Job done and now we can just forget all about this game. It won’t live long in the memory, that’s for sure. This was one we just needed to win and get out of the way, and we did. We should qualify 

The crowd weren’t up for it and the players rarely got out of second gear, mainly because they didn’t need to. We seem to be able to do just enough when we need to and that’s a good habit for a team to have.

All eyes seemed to be on Sunday’s game with City and as a result this was just extremely flat, on and off the pitch. The players were more up for it than the crowd, thankfully. Not much more, but enough.

The game wasn’t as close as the scoreline suggests but that’s becoming a recurring theme this season. We keep winning games by one goal despite creating ten times the amount of chances as the opposition. It’s annoying but it would be churlish to get too worked up about it as after all, we’re still winning these games.

Whatever happened to those four or five goal hammerings though? Be nice to have a few of those so we can relax and enjoy these games a little more.

This wasn’t exactly stressful and I never felt that we weren’t going to win, but if we’d scored a couple more goals then the closing stages would have been less tense and maybe we could have given Curtis Jones a little run out, which would have been nice.

The way the game started it looked like we’d run away with it. Genk couldn’t get out of their own half for most of the first half but we let them score with their first attack. By that point we should have been up by three or four but we’d only taken one chance, a sharp close range finish from Gini.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

No need for a long summary as it was forgettable.

Of the 3 players with 'something to prove'. Gomez was fine but he does seem to get drawn forward a bit and leave gaps behind. Ox is going to be back as a regular soon, his bursts forward and eye for goal are something we lack elsewhere. Keita was good first half, I'll assume he tired second half as you say. But he's not shown me anything to justify the price or the hardline advocates on Twitter who won't hear of him being anything but the messiah.

Salah's form is definitely a cause of minor concern, anyone else wonder if he might be replaced next year?

I just can't quite work Keita out at all. He's in a run of form at the moment where he's playing quite well, but not quite well enough to play himself into the "weekend" eleven. Maybe it's because our midfield is generally quite utilitarian, occupying space so that the full backs and front three can flourish - but Keita plays in games where the front three and full backs are changed so it doesn't quite work as well?

I dunno. I thought he was fine last night but no way would he be starting on Sunday for me.

• Upvote 1

Keita definitely isn’t the same player at all. I couldn’t wait for him to join as I was expecting a thoroughly nasty fucker who’d score, create and generally get on the tits of opposition players and fans alike. And we ended up with what exactly? Yeah he’s neat on the ball, but it seems he’s a totally one-paced lightweight. Where’s the guy who would have started a fight in an empty room, the guy who was voted the best MF player in Germany at one stage? Like...What happened??

I actually like all our players, and, yes, that includes Lallana, Lovren and certainly Henderson, but I just can’t seem to warm to Keita. He actually irritates me to the extent that he might just as well play for an opponent team. I guess most of that is due to disappointment, as I was so certain he would be absolutely ace based on what I saw of him in Germany.

It's true that Keita is playing within himself and just doing the basics but I'm still allowing him plenty of slack because it's clear he can play. I have written so many players off over the years only for them to turn out great and equally as many who I was convinced would be brilliant from the start only to flop.

I'm putting Naby into the first category for now, there's enough on display to indicate he can be ace once he has fully settled in.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic

Dave's report, like the game, was short and too the point - get 3 points, no injuries and get mentally prepared for City.  However much Klopp said beforehand that it was all about Genk not City the more we knew it was the opposite.

Everyone's been looking over the shoulder of the person in front of them towards Sunday.

Can't wait!

On 06/11/2019 at 20:50, Marcas said:

Keita definitely isn’t the same player at all. I couldn’t wait for him to join as I was expecting a thoroughly nasty fucker who’d score, create and generally get on the tits of opposition players and fans alike. And we ended up with what exactly? Yeah he’s neat on the ball, but it seems he’s a totally one-paced lightweight. Where’s the guy who would have started a fight in an empty room, the guy who was voted the best MF player in Germany at one stage? Like...What happened??

Perhaps we bought Keita's cousin by mistake.........