You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

City (H) Premier League - 10/11/19 - 16:30

Bjornebye

20 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Completely agree with that. I think Matip is a miles better footballer than Gomez but I'd always pick Gomez against City just because they kill teams with their pace.

Neither Lovren or Henderson  should be anywhere near Sunday's team but I fear they will both start.

I'm not Hendersons biggest fan but why would you not want him starting this game. My criticism of him is doesn't offer anything going forward and is limited with his passing ability. 

These are the games you want him in, he will buzz around and be a fucking nuisance to them and will hopefully stifle their midfield creativity.

• Upvote 3

I’d start our usual midfield three without a doubt, and Ox to come on with half an hour to go if we need a goal or Milner if we need to close out the game. Henderson helps protect Trent and he’s an intelligent footballer with a spare pair of lungs. His passing is underrated IMO. Not the most pinpoint, his passing is a lot more positive than it used to be. He has a good cross on him too.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't the team -

Alisson

TAA Lovren VVD Robertson

Fabinho

Henderson Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane

Be interesting to see what Klopp would do if it was still 0-0 after 60/65 minutes. Would he chuck on AOC or try and keep the point with Milner.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’d start our usual midfield three without a doubt, and Ox to come on with half an hour to go if we need a goal or Milner if we need to close out the game. Henderson helps protect Trent and he’s an intelligent footballer with a spare pair of lungs. His passing is underrated IMO. Not the most pinpoint, his passing is a lot more positive than it used to be. He has a good cross on him too.

Protects Trent which has the knock on effect of Matip/lovren/Gomez not being pulled out of position . Henderson plays vital role on the right of the pitch.

43 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Alisson

TAA Lovren VVD Robertson

Fabinho

Henderson Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane

Be interesting to see what Klopp would do if it was still 0-0 after 60/65 minutes. Would he chuck on AOC or try and keep the point with Milner.

Me too. The only two that realistically could come in are Gomez and Ox but he won't bench his captain and Gomez has looked less secure at CB than Lovren. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Alisson

TAA Lovren VVD Robertson

Fabinho

Henderson Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane

I'm expecting that side too.  I reckon Jurgen will send on Ox for the last 30 mins if we're dominating  the game and pressing for the winner but if they're looking as likely to score as we are he'll be happy with a draw. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Gini has an engine and a half on him though, quite capable of playing twice a week, especially when the midweek game is a walk in the park. (scoreline apart). 

We aren't using our full high intensity pressing in a lot of games because there's no point - the opposition can't keep the ball. Hopefully high intensity pressing will be back with a vengeance on Sunday and we will win a few decent situations high up the pitch. I just hope we can make the most of those situations.  

Yeah I think we’re going to go full intensity and press them as high up the pitch as possible. We played it more conservatively last season and it very nearly backfired. We’re at our best when we throw caution to the wind and just squeeze the life out of teams. 

• Upvote 1

We won't be able to squeeze the life out of them, they have too much technique and unless we flip a switch, we're not really that type of team anymore. I'd be blown away if we successfully press them and play a very attacking game.

What will likely happen is them having loads of the ball and us defending/countering because they feel desperate to get the win or it will be a cat-and-mouse game where neither team takes any risks.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We won't be able to squeeze the life out of them, they have too much technique and unless we flip a switch, we're not really that type of team anymore. I'd be blown away if we successfully press them and play a very attacking game.

What will likely happen is them having loads of the ball and us defending/countering because they feel desperate to get the win or it will be a cat-and-mouse game where neither team takes any risks.

It will be a chess game played by a cat and a mouse.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I disagree, I think their defence is there to be got at. I hope we play a high line and try to engage their defenders whenever they have the ball. At least for the first 30 minutes

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, moof said:

I disagree, I think their defence is there to be got at. I hope we play a high line and try to engage their defenders whenever they have the ball. At least for the first 30 minutes

Yes, allowing the two Silva's and De Bruyne to pass it around our 18 yard box is a recipe for a bumming.

Without Laporte they are fucking appalling defensively. We should be shitting them up from the first minute.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, allowing the two Silva's and De Bruyne to pass it around our 18 yard box is a recipe for a bumming.

Without Laporte they are fucking appalling defensively. We should be shitting them up from the first minute.

This apostrophe is more appalling than City's defense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moof said:

I would love it if we took the game to them. I just don't think that's what we'll try to do considering they need to catch up to us and not the other way around. Generally, we've been pretty conservative in big matches for a while now too.

• Upvote 1

It was harder to press City at home last year as they played a bit more conservative and more percentage football. They didn't try and play through the middle a lot. I think we found it hard to press them because they didn't take many chances.

I reckon we'll see a bit more of that on Sunday, City will get it wide early to avoid losing the ball in dangerous areas. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Byrnie said:

It was harder to press City at home last year as they played a bit more conservative and more percentage football. They didn't try and play through the middle a lot. I think we found it hard to press them because they didn't take many chances.

I reckon we'll see a bit more of that on Sunday, City will get it wide early to avoid losing the ball in dangerous areas. 

I think we weren't prepared for how defensive they'd be, we set up expecting them to have their usual fast, attack, possession based game, and it threw us off when they played it safe. 

I think this time klopp will have a plan for breaking them down if they decide to play it safe again. 

City having a few issues balances out the corresponding fixture last season when Liverpool limped into the Anfield game against these, having played Spurs, Chelsea and Napoli away, as well as PSG and Chelsea (League Cup) at home in the 3 weeks leading up to such a crucial fixture.

Matip aside, and Mo's form not being quite top notch yet, the lead-in to this one has been much more ideal. 

Well, well, well. The city propoganda machine is in full swing. Apparently city have put it out there that they are 'concerned' their coach will be attacked on it's way to Anfield on Sunday.

This story will be in the printed edition of the daily express sport.

This is from Guardian on line.

Manchester City have sought assurances from Liverpool of a safe passage to Anfield for the potentially pivotal title match on Sunday, with the champions flagging up a social media post asking fans of the Merseyside club to line the potential route of City’s team coach.

City are concerned the coach could be attacked by Liverpool fans as it was in April 2018 before the Champions League quarter-final when bottles, cans and flares were thrown. Although no players or staff were injured, the vehicle was left unsafe to drive.

Read more

While the clubs are in constant dialogue in the buildup to the game – as is normal practice – it is understood the problem has been raised at executive level by City. They expect it to be taken seriously and want a guarantee from Liverpool there will be no repeat of the scenes of 18 months ago.

The post in question, headlined Liverpool vs Manchester City, asks supporters to “bring your pyro[technics], pints, flags and banners” and “line the streets all the way up Anfield Road and to the ground”.

A similar message was also in circulation before last season’s corresponding league fixture, the 0-0 draw in October, and there was no trouble. City, though, are wary. They are intent on not revealing their route to the stadium, with Liverpool and the police also keeping the information private.

A social media post doing the rounds urges Liverpool supporters to line the streets around Anfield.

Facebook Twitter

A social media post doing the rounds urges Liverpool supporters to line the streets around Anfield. Photograph: No Credit

Merseyside police are not expecting any specific trouble on the day, though this could change as the fixture moves closer. City were left bemused when no arrests were made over the bus attack at the Champions League match, which Liverpool won 3-0.

Eni Aluko
Read more

Pep Guardiola’s team are six points behind Liverpool in the Premier League and are conscious defeat would leave their hopes of a third consecutive title remote. Yet Fernandinho believes they can reverse recent history and end a run of 16 years without a win at Anfield, their last victory coming in May 2003, a 2-1 win in which Nicolas Anelka scored both their goals.

The Brazilian said: “There’s always a first time in the life, no? We are searching for this first time to win [in a long time] at Anfield. I am confident we can go there and try to win the game.

“The mentality is always try to win the game. Of course, we will see with Ederson’s situation. We are going to train and the medical staff are going to check him and we are going to see if he will be fit.”

City are hopeful Ederson will recover in time from the thigh muscle injury that caused him to be replaced at half-time of the 1-1 draw with Atalanta at San Siro on Wednesday. His replacement, Claudio Bravo, was sent off nine minutes from time, forcing Kyle Walker into an action as an emergency goalkeeper.