Quantcast
What sauce do you have with steak? - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Tony Moanero

What sauce do you have with steak?

3 minutes ago, rotoq said:

English mustard or pepper sauce

I'm really surprised people would put mustard on a steak, cold roast beef slices to perk them up I can understand, but it seems a bit of a waste to put something so strong on a steak.

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

None, a good steak needs nothing but properly seasoned. A average steak/cut pepper and a load of it

Yep, salt and plenty of pepper before frying.

Peppercorn but only to dip your chips in.

When I was cheffing I used to make a nice sauce with Demi glacé and bone marrow and parsley. 

though if you choose the right steak (I.e. ribeye or sirloin) and the fat is rendered properly you’ll ruin it with sauce.

fillet (the last steak cut I’d choose) then you do need a sauce, or half a knob of butter, to give it any chance of flavour 

• Upvote 3

Anyone had the hanger steak? It’s my favorite cut at the moment. Got a bit of chew, but very nice flavour and very little fat so you have to cook it rare.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

English mustard and cracked pepper normally. Chimichurri if I have it at an Argentinian steak house.

If I go to an Argentinian steak house I absolutely must have mine with spiced onion slices that have been covered in flour and deep fried.

Yes, thats right, I love an argie bhaji me.

• Upvote 2

Anything what takes my fancy, it really does depend on what cut of steak you are eating though.

Peppercorn, Bearnaise or Diane Sauce. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Anything what takes my fancy, it really does depend on what cut of steak you are eating though.

Peppercorn, Bearnaise or Diane Sauce. 

Men by any chance? 

I like the idea of no sauce as a rule.

But when a sauce might take my fancy, it needs to be strictly on the side in a separate piece of crockery or boat.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Does a bottle of Shiraz count as sauce?

No, but a bottle of Pinot Noir does.

Me and the Mrs are complete opposites on the preparation of meals. She will smother steak in béarnaise / peppercorn sauces , smother sausage and bacon butties in brown sauce , have that much gravy on a roast dinner that she might occasionally require a bowl to eat it & wallop mint sauce on a massive range of hot meats. I think that you lose the taste of meals if you slather strong tastes all over them & tend to stick to salt and pepper.