You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What sauce do you have with steak?

Tony Moanero

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Me and the Mrs are complete opposites on the preparation of meals. She will smother steak in béarnaise / peppercorn sauces , smother sausage and bacon butties in brown sauce , have that much gravy on a roast dinner that she might occasionally require a bowl to eat it & wallop mint sauce on a massive range of hot meats. I think that you lose the taste of meals if you slather strong tastes all over them & tend to stick to salt and pepper.

I love condiments and have sauce of some kind with almost every savoury meal. However, with the exception of pasta sauce, gravy or curry on chips, I tend not to put sauce directly on my food. I have it on the side and dip in.

7 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I love condiments and have sauce of some kind with almost every savoury meal. However, with the exception of pasta sauce, gravy or curry on chips, I tend not to put sauce directly on my food. I have it on the side and dip in.

I bet you smother a nice bit of lamb with mint sauce don't you. 

Mate the more I think of it the more I am convinced that you are Terry from The Likely Lads. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I bet you smother a nice bit of lamb with mint sauce don't you. 

Mate the more I think of it the more I am convinced that you are Terry from The Likely Lads. 

Ha ha. To be honest, I can’t really remember what Terry was like. I do, however, like mint sauce (mint jelly can fuck off) and have some on the side of the plate with lamb. No need to smother most things in sauce. Less is more.

• Upvote 1

Wait. There are people who have sauce with steak? Bad wrong'uns.

If you're doing anything with a steak other than seasoning with salt, pepper and olive oil, you're badly over-egging the pudding. If you must, on something like a rib-eye or t-bone can benefit from a block of blue cheese rested on top while the steak is settling. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I remember visiting my uncle in Geneva around 15 years ago... and they took me to this place called Cafe De Paris, and I had the steak with this lovely, velvety butter-based sauce and it was brilliant. I generally hate creamy sauce on a steak (diane, bernaise, blue cheese, etc) but I’m more than happy to make this one exception. 

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Wait. There are people who have sauce with steak? Bad wrong'uns.

If you're doing anything with a steak other than seasoning with salt, pepper and olive oil, you're badly over-egging the pudding. If you must, on something like a rib-eye or t-bone can benefit from a block of blue cheese rested on top while the steak is settling. 

Nah, as with all food, people should just eat want they enjoy.