You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: I promise not to mention tactical fouls

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has produced a none-too-subtle response to Pep Guardiola as the much awaited showdown with Man City looms ever closer on the horizon.

The City manager surprised many on Saturday evening when he threw a deliberate barb the way of Sadio Mane after his teams’ 2-1 win over Southampton.

Speaking ahead of the Reds Champions League clash with Genk, the Reds manager said he was taken aback by the comments.

The Mirror reported Klopp as saying:

“I am not sure if Pep spoke in that moment about Sadio or the team – both is not too nice to be honest.

“ Somebody showed it to me because I had to see it as everybody told me about it…I couldn’t really believe it to be honest. Then I saw it.

“I am not too sure if I want to put oil on the fire. I am not interested in these kind of things.

"And I promise not to mention tactical fouls.

“That is maybe already too much, but that is the only thing I say about it.”

61617127-jurgen-klopp.jpg

After being circumspect at first, it was clear that the German was now on a roll and he discussed Guardiola’s need to comment on Liverpool in the first place.

“ I have no clue.

“Do I get asked as well as much about Man City? I don’t know. 

“After our game I really had no clue what the other Premier League results were. 

“I didn’t think for one second about the other games. That is the truth.”

Understandably, Klopp was unequivocal in standing up for his star forward.

“ I can say Sadio is not a diver.

“In the Villa game he got contact and went down.

“Maybe it was not a penalty but there was contact. 

“All the other penalties were penalties because he was in that situation."

One thing is for sure, Sunday cannot come around soon enough.

View full article

Done all Jurgen. City are a joke when it comes to them tactical fouls. The Man Utd game at Old Trafford near the end of last season was some of the worst gamesmanship I have seen. The tactical fouls then I think it was Bernardo Silva who threw himself on the floor right before half-time when Utd were something like 4 on 2 in attack. Silva acts lie he had broken something, then the ref makes City lump the ball back to Utd in Utd's half. Then its half-time. Fuck all wrong with Silva. Plain cheating. 

I always respected Guardiola as a coach before that, now he is just a snide little prick who has happened to either already have the squad to win things or a bottomless pit of cash. The tactical fouls have had a small mention in the media but if that was us every single manager in the league and all the pundits would be making a massive deal of it. 

I wasn't keen on Mane going down the way he did on Saturday but every game sees something like that. VAR now means every manager will be saying "If you feel any contact at all in the box, go down, they have to review it and if their is contact it has to be given". Who can blame them the way VAR is at the minute? The triple summersault isn't needed, just go down and make sure you snd your team scream loud enough at the ref for him to review. I'm not sure what the stats are so far but I reckon by the end of the season we might well have seen more penalties awarded than any other season in the PL. 

Thankfully we have players who can win things by playing football and not by playing the system. 

Pep is the new Mourinho.  Except that his teams play attacking rather than defensive football.

Everything else - only coaching clubs with superior supplies of money, whinging, disingenuous, lacking in graciousness and humility etc - identical.

A twat. Fuck him. Fuck off.

I'd love it, I'd really love it (Keegan blah blah blah) if we managed to tear him a new arsehole next Sunday.

• Upvote 1