You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa 1 Liverpool 2 (Nov 2 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

A day may come when the courage and resilience of this team fails. But it was not this day. The unbeaten run is eventually going to come to an end. But not this day. This day they fought, and they won. Again.

The ‘mentality monsters’ just never give up. With three minutes remaining we trailed 1-0 and Man City had just come from a goal down to lead 2-1. The gap at the top was down to three points and we were a defeat next weekend away from losing top spot. Just like that, two quick goals, three more points and the six point gap is still intact. These boys are fucking incredible, the relentless bastards.

The narrative will be all about ‘lucky Liverpool’ leaving it late again and scraping a win without playing well. It’s bollocks though. We should have won this game 6-2 or something daft like that. It was one way traffic and contrary to a lot of things I’ve read, I thought we played pretty damn well. In the second half anyway.

The first half was shite but even then we could have scored two or three. We did score one, only for it to be disgracefully taken away by a jobsworth linesman and Martin fucking Atkinson. I’ll get to that later.

We started slowly and Villa had a shot on target in the first minute and Wesley then missed a free header after ten minutes. They were bang up for it and the way we played did little to dampen their enthusiasm. We did have some promising situations but the final pass was often terrible. Sadio in particular kept over-hitting everything to Mo. He’s quick, but he’s not that fucking quick.

Mané had our first chance of the game when he headed narrowly wide from Henderson’s fine cross and then Salah forced a save from Heaton after being picked out by Virgil’s raking long pass.

Sadio then gave away two free-kicks in the pace of a few seconds and Villa scored from the second. I thought it was offside and even after watching the VAR I couldn’t be sure either way as there were so many bodies in that line. If Trezeguet was onside then he was probably the only Villa player in the box that was. We held a good line and caught all the others, but it would appear that he just about stayed on the right side of our line and was able to score. 

That being said, from what we now know then Atkinson could have altered that line to make him offside if he wanted to. He looks dead level with Henderson from what I can see, but I can’t tell where his armpit is so it’s difficult to know either way. Alisson could have done better with it too I thought?

We’ve conceded the first goal too many times for my liking lately, but it’s never cause for panic because we usually come back. I wasn’t worried but I was annoyed, because I fucking hate Villa. They’re really not important enough to justify the level of animosity I have for them, but it is what it is. I just can’t fucking stand them. I’m not alone either.

The idea of the unbeaten run being ended by these non-entities was something I just refused to contemplate. Besides, there was so much time left there was no cause for alarm.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

The last time I felt this pumped after a result was when we won due to that late goal against Burnley and while the Burnley result was due to how surprising that was this was fully expected.

I'm friends with what has to be the most irritating Liverpool fan ever he's one of those fans that always forgets the previous result for whatever is happening now.

Throughout the whole match he was complaining that we were gonna lose and the race is over while I just kept reminding him that we will come back, I never speak in absolutes because I know that shit comes back to haunt you but around 60 minutes I told him we're gonna win this match at worst we're gonna draw.

Around the 86th minute, I felt like a right tit and was ready to give up then Robertson scored just as he started bitching about City taking the lead...

While I celebrated the equalizer I was expecting the win and I told him as much, and when that winner went in I straight up told him we're gonna win the league and we're gonna be unbearable as fuck when we do.

I never put my neck out like this but this team has made me a believer everything in this match was made to screw us over but we won and shoved our victory down Jon Moss and Martin Atkinson's throat.

Fuck the FA, fuck the PGMOL, fuck Fraudiola and fuck Aston Villa

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

Considering we were only 3 minutes plus stoppage time away from defeat I was calm about things, that is purely down to Klopp and the players. I was still confident we'd equalise as we turned the screw on a tiring defence, the winner was just the Cherry on top and some.  

Hopefully the media furore about the offside and the way everybody agrees it wa a load of bollocks will make Atkinson think twice before screwing us over again. It was noticeable how much time was spent on VAR at Goodison last night as they were desperate not to make even more mistakes so it's clear the refs are feeling under pressure at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

You talked in the past about our players not being game smart. About not closing down games when we were in a position to do so. Disrupting the flow of play by going - and staying - down easily at opportune moments. Generally being wise. And we're definitely better at that than we were. But we're not with refs.

It's almost as if Ferguson's hold on who could and couldn't referee their games never happened. Those granted permission to officiate would absolutely ref in their favour. It absolutely won them countless games and therefore titles. It was probably his greatest strength.

We absolutely need to kick up a stink about it. Ferguson did it. Shitcoat did it for the chavs, just not as well as Slur. Shit reffing happens to us too often and it's never dealt with. Had we lost or drawn this game, it'd of course be down to us not getting the job done, but when we score legitimately or are due a penalty that isn't awarded by the same refs time and again, that's not down to our players. Our club needs to shout about it, win, draw or lose.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

"Robbo charging in at the back post like Terry McDermott to plant a header past Heaton"

That's what it reminded me of, brilliant stuff. 

Let's hope we don't get fucked over by the officials on Sunday, we should be able to stuff them otherwise. 

Love the match reports dave. If you want to read the full quality reports then subscribe you tight nobs. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, rb14 said:

You talked in the past about our players not being game smart. About not closing down games when we were in a position to do so. Disrupting the flow of play by going - and staying - down easily at opportune moments. Generally being wise. And we're definitely better at that than we were. But we're not with refs.

It's almost as if Ferguson's hold on who could and couldn't referee their games never happened. Those granted permission to officiate would absolutely ref in their favour. It absolutely won them countless games and therefore titles. It was probably his greatest strength.

We absolutely need to kick up a stink about it. Ferguson did it. Shitcoat did it for the chavs, just not as well as Slur. Shit reffing happens to us too often and it's never dealt with. Had we lost or drawn this game, it'd of course be down to us not getting the job done, but when we score legitimately or are due a penalty that isn't awarded by the same refs time and again, that's not down to our players. Our club needs to shout about it, win, draw or lose.

Agree totally with all of this. Contrast our lads (& Marriner) allowing Arsenal to take that quick free kick last Wednesday versus Spurs' antics  the previous Sunday (standing over the ball repeatedly until Taylor, at about the 4th time of asking finally booked someone).

Of course it's just coincidence that the refs in our last 4 domestic games have been - Moss, Marriner, Taylor and Atkinson, 4 of our least favourite refs. But it doesn't help how we the same few wankers time and again.

And just because I'm anal about these things, I looked at Atkinson's recent involvement and noticed that he refereed us 5 times out of the last 15 PL games last season (!), although from what I recall, it was only the first of those (Leicester) where he screwed us over.

Was it Jeff Winter that said that he was effectively banned from officiating at OT for years after incurring Ferguson's wrath one time? We need some of that power & influence.

• Upvote 1

The MOTD2 analysis was good on the subject of VAR, referring to the refs bailing each other out, not wanting to undermine the ref on the pitch or trying to cover up for previous mistakes. 

Cunts, the lot of them, all covering their own assess and masking their complete incompetence 

• Upvote 1

Nice one Dave.  Cheers.

You have any idea how eagerly I was awaiting this match report?  Kept refreshing within 30 min of the game finishing and getting frustrated the report wasn't up yet. 

I am little disappointed you weren't more vitriolic. Cause I was seething about those dodgy decisions during the game. The clear and obvious penalty as much as the offside till we can rig it to be offside. His Armpit? Go Fuck Yourself, you biased prick.  The win tempered my rage,  but I agree,  this is the best time for the club to bring up these issues with refereeing. 

I thought Lallana was very good. Kept the ball moving, and got into space after taking a few knocks early.  I thought Mo wasn't switched on. Some of our passing (especially around the back) was too slow... ponderous even, in the first half.  That Marvelous bloke was good for them and was running all day... until manhandling Bobby during that last corner. 

But the balls on Mane to keep at it after a bullshit yellow, to get that gorgeous cross to Robbo AND stick his head on that corner  with one of Villa's subs foot in the way was superb.  Trent's cross field ball to Robbo was sumptuous.... single step, swish and we were away on an attack.  Why was Bobby smacking Virg on the head when we won? 

• Upvote 1

I said it about Twatkinson recently, he's either totally inept or biased and shouldn't be anywhere near any of our games or Premiership games in general.  I can understand why Klopp/the club don't want to kick up a fuss, but some cunt needs to.  If we lose out on something big because we didn't produce the goods, I could accept that.  But having this useless/corrupt bastard robbing us would incite a murderous rage in me.

Whatever happens to VAR, Twatkinson needs fucking off first.  Permanently.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Far from Atkinson being disciplined he's got another PL appointment this weekend (happily not us) I'm sure I read somewhere that he wasa Yorkshire policeman, not the most Liverpool-friendly body of men.

That was Howard Webb I think , Frank.

To the despair of his students Atkinson is/was a teacher.

Guest Pistonbroke
5 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Far from Atkinson being disciplined he's got another PL appointment this weekend (happily not us) I'm sure I read somewhere that he wasa Yorkshire policeman, not the most Liverpool-friendly body of men.

He's been given the Newcastle v Bournemouth game as a reward. Hope it pisses it down and he catches a shitty cold, the useless fuck. 

Great report, Dave.  You manage to pull all the contentious issues together and nailed everyone of them.

The most worrying aspect is Atkinson because until we kick up a fuss we are going to keep getting him in charge of LFC games as the PGMOL consider him one of the "big match" officials and virtually all LFC games are now in that category.

I clearly remember him looking around at both his liners when Mo scored the late winner against Spurs at Anfield last season - as if he could conjure up some way to disallow the goal.

Loved the Robbo, Terry Mac comparison!

• dave u unpinned this topic