You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR - The Verdict

Vincent Vega

VAR Verdict   

81 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with VAR?

• Get rid of it right now
    • Keep it, these are just teething problems
    • Persevere with it for now and review it at the end of the season

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Fuck all wrong with var.  Everything wrong with referees still cocking up massively whilst presented with video evidence. 

It's not even a difficult job now. 

There is everything wrong with VAR at the moment. If your first thought after your team has scored is whether or not VAR will disallow it, then it will completely ruin the game. If it's going to be used after every goal, checking this phase or that phase, it will completely ruin the game. If it's going to be used after every challenge in the penalty area, it will completely ruin the game (....you get the drift).

The only way it will work imo is if a challenge system is put in place like in NFL/tennis/cricket, and if needed the on-field referee goes to look at the pitchside monitor and makes the decision himself.

I agree that a challenge system with a pitchside monitor might be the best way forward if we're going to keep VAR. A maximum of three challenges per game to each captain would stop stupid challenges until late in the game. The refs and linos can just get on with their jobs 

Former referee Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports' Ref Watch, analysing incidents over the weekend. This is what he had to say about Firmino's disallowed goal:

INCIDENT: With Aston Villa 1-0 up, VAR got involved as Sadio Mane found Roberto Firmino to tap home at the far post. The assistant instantly raised his flag and VAR judged the Liverpool man to be just inches the wrong side of the line with his arm-pit millimetres ahead of the play.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct call. Clubs can have no argument about the technology used.

DERMOT SAYS: The technology has said it's offside. It's as accurate as possible. Everybody signed up to the technology, everybody knows there is no latitude in offside decision. It's either offside or onside. There's no debate. The lines favour the defender in this instance so it's offside.

It's been shown that they made a complete balls-up of the VAR on this one, swapping lines and adding wonky vertical lines in a desperate attempt to show that Firmino was offside, and justify the immediate raising of the flag by the linesman. And yet good old Dermot is siding with his mates by saying they got it completely right. These are the people you hope get bullshit parking fines from jobsworth traffic wardens.

1 hour ago, aws said:

I agree that a challenge system with a pitchside monitor might be the best way forward if we're going to keep VAR. A maximum of three challenges per game to each captain would stop stupid challenges until late in the game. The refs and linos can just get on with their jobs 

I wrote about a challenge system on this forum nearly 10 years ago (we had blog pages back then). The idea of using goal line technology was spurred on by the Lampard non-goal for England against Germany at the 2010 World Cup, and some sort of review system was already in place and effective in various other sports. It didn't need a reinvention of the wheel - just a way to implement the use of technology and reviews in a way that maintained the ebb and flow of a typical football match.

There's issues with the decisions because there are issues with the process. And there are issues with the process because the whole thinking behind it is based on the usual flaws with refereeing and football in this country: the powers that be are utterly convinced of their own infallibility that they see it only as a tool that will prove just how good a job they're doing rather than as something that'll correct the multitude of errors that are made. Think of the FA's 100% conviction rate for citations, think of the PGMOL declaring that they assess their own performances over the course of a season and reckon they get 98% of decisions correct or whatever. They think they're doing a cracking job so VAR doesn't have much to fix, so it's set up so.

Take Firmino's goal. I can half see how the linesman flags it but the second that's seen it should be "aha, that's onside - award the goal. Easy mistake, tight call, but onside." But it isn't, because the first priority is to protect the refereeing team, so they twiddle and fiddle and doctor to find the only slight possible angle where it could maybe be offside, and that's all the proof they need to prove themselves correct.

Take Alli's handball. The referee pretty much misses it so the VAR has to look at it 800 times in three minutes to work out the reason why he must have not given anything - "aha! They were both challenging for the ball so that must be why his hands are over his head."

It's proper bollocks but I don't really expect anything else from the self-serving and craven bastards running the game. In cricket and rugby there's an acceptance that the officials generally do a good job and the technology helps them have extra eyes and covers them for their human mistakes. That's the thinking behind it and the processes - mostly - work as a result. Football though? Different story altogether.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Grinch said:

Fuck all wrong with var.  Everything wrong with referees still cocking up massively whilst presented with video evidence. 

It's not even a difficult job now. 

It's the interpretation of the rules. Refs leave it so that VAR can make the decision but VAR wont overrule the ref as they believe he has seen it and it's not a clear and obvious error. Simple fact is if it is an error then it is clear and obvious.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Fuck a challenge system,just fuck it off until somebody finds a way to implement a system that cant be fucked up by the current Bozos in black.

I think it needs to stay until all those that wanted it in the first place suffer so much they never want to see it introduced again. If they do "fix" it they will just keep expanding on it until they have completely neutered the game. 

On 04/11/2019 at 13:02, magicrat said:

I take on board what you say and you're right but I like idea of having a system that gets pen decisions right and takes dodgy offside calls out of the game. It's who operating it and how it's interpreted that's the issue.

I think we need to reflect at the end of the season which gives the FA 6 months to get the twats pushing the buttons to up their game. I don't want to go back to pricks like Howard Webb fucking up my weekend if we can get VAR to work better.     

Who should operate it then? And as for "how it's been interpreted", that could be said for just about every ref decision there's ever been without VAR. This is the issue, with or without cameras nearly all decisions are subjective, so it'll never make everyone happy and as we're seeing subjective decisions in stockley park seem no better than real time subjective decisions on the pitch. VAR achieves nothing because with the exception of some really really bad decisions, nearly all calls can be interpreted in multiple ways. Just accept what the ref says, fuck off the rest aside from the goal line technology. The game will benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 03/11/2019 at 21:25, Mudface said:

They're subjected to ridiculous abuse from the time they start (think it's from the ages of about 10 or 11 we started getting refs at my lads' games). I don't know why any of them bother to be honest, it must be far worse at higher age levels.

If the powers that be want 'proper' refs then they need to start with what rugby does- any dissent instantly punished, only the team's captain ever gets to talk to the ref, any hassle from coaches and parents results in the team being banned or forfeiting points.

As it is, you get people with extremely thick skin, which is a valuable quality, but competent and skilled officials drop by the wayside constantly.

I referred for a number of years & jibbed it off after a youth game, when a manager, who was also one of the players dad, had to be restrained by another coach and was not in favour of my decision. Adult football was no where near as vicious. 

As for VAR, I was never in favour but it has to see out the season.

I think they should introduce a time limit for decision making. Ten seconds max. If you genuinely don’t have a gut reaction to what your seeing in that time I don’t think you ever will. That Alli handball should have taken one view. 

On 04/11/2019 at 13:46, JohnnyH said:

I’m loving a “VAR – The Verdict” started poll a couple of hours after the use of VAR seems almost certainly to have shafted us out of a perfectly good goal. This poll will be about as indicative as a Lid Dems poll. 

Never heard of the cunts.

10 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Who should operate it then? And as for "how it's been interpreted", that could be said for just about every ref decision there's ever been without VAR. This is the issue, with or without cameras nearly all decisions are subjective, so it'll never make everyone happy and as we're seeing subjective decisions in stockley park seem no better than real time subjective decisions on the pitch. VAR achieves nothing because with the exception of some really really bad decisions, nearly all calls can be interpreted in multiple ways. Just accept what the ref says, fuck off the rest aside from the goal line technology. The game will benefit. 

Offside decisions should not be as contentious as they have been . Refs should be allowed to look at the pitch side monitors and make the final calls. One of the problems it seems to me is that the on field officials now are ducking out and not taking responsibility . Seems to me the challenge idea has some legs with teams getting a limited amount of opportunities to question the decisions on field .In any event we are not going to see VAR scrapped in a hurry so making it less intrusive and work better has to be the priority. After 11 games is not the time to return to square one imo

On 04/11/2019 at 13:46, JohnnyH said:

I’m loving a “VAR – The Verdict” started poll a couple of hours after the use of VAR seems almost certainly to have shafted us out of a perfectly good goal. This poll will be about as indicative as a Lid Dems poll. 

We've had three months of this utter nonsense in the league, plenty of time for people to see how awful it is regardless of which way the decision goes.

It needs fucking off.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, magicrat said:

Offside decisions should not be as contentious as they have been . Refs should be allowed to look at the pitch side monitors and make the final calls. One of the problems it seems to me is that the on field officials now are ducking out and not taking responsibility . Seems to me the challenge idea has some legs with teams getting a limited amount of opportunities to question the decisions on field .In any event we are not going to see VAR scrapped in a hurry so making it less intrusive and work better has to be the priority. After 11 games is not the time to return to square one imo

Sports are different. In NHL hockey a team can challenge a ref's decision. If you're right the decision is changed and you carry on. However, if you challenge a decision and the decision stands, your team gets a 2 min suspension. So you have to be really careful if you want to challenge.

Can't do that in football, at least not without completely changing the riules of the game.

I'm not sure if challenging could work in football.

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

Sports are different. In NHL hockey a team can challenge a ref's decision. If you're right the decision is changed and you carry on. However, if you challenge a decision and the decision stands, your team gets a 2 min suspension. So you have to be really careful if you want to challenge.

Can't do that in football, at least not without completely changing the riules of the game.

Challenging would not work in open play but after goal is scored it could

On 07/11/2019 at 09:44, JustTosh said:

In NFL, a failed challenge loses a timeout, similarly.

theres jeopardy at play.

On 06/11/2019 at 10:59, magicrat said:

I don't see how having a crap ref get it wrong on the pitch and going to a pitch side monitor to get it wrong again will help either. The top and bottom of it is we'll never all agree about subjective decisions, refs manage games to their own little mad agenda and making bad decisions twice is just as annoying as fuck. That's before we discuss the spontaneity going from goal celebrations. VAR is killing the game , I don't know about 11 games not being the time to give up, it's 11 games too many. 

• Upvote 2