You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR - The Verdict

Vincent Vega

VAR Verdict   

81 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with VAR?

• Get rid of it right now
    • Keep it, these are just teething problems
    • Persevere with it for now and review it at the end of the season

That's very true. The main reason I was in favour of the technology was that I thought it would correct the constant shite refereeing we experience, but I never really considered that it would be the same shite officials operating it. 

It seems to work very well in Rugby, but I think that might be down to the more stop start nature of Rugby?  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah Ali pushes the ball away with his arm. Almost identical to the penalty that we got from Pogba at Old Trafford a few years ago. 

It’s precisely what VAR is for - things that a ref understandably can’t see in the rough & tumblr of a corner, or things that happen too fast. Everton will rightly feel they’ve been conned out of 4-6 points these last two weeks. That has been a pen for years, regardless of ‘intent’.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

That's very true. The main reason I was in favour of the technology was that I thought it would correct the constant shite refereeing we experience, but I never really considered that it would be the same shite officials operating it. 

It seems to work very well in Rugby, but I think that might be down to the more stop start nature of Rugby?  

Exactly , I assumed the VAR would be used by technicians who came with the system , I didn't know it would be Fat John Moss in a La Z Boy

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

You look at the two non called handball this weekend. Just shows VAR officials are just backing up refs. Defenders arms away from the body stopped Bobby shot, blatent handball from Alli today. Its a shitfest

Yet in the Chelsea Watford game VAR gave a penalty that the referee didn't give, and it looked more like a dive than a clear penalty?

It seems to be changing on a game by game basis at the moment!

• Upvote 1

On 02/11/2019 at 20:18, No2 said:

I don't understand the argument of teething problems or it will take time. That's bollox, the idea behind it was to overturn wrong decisions to right ones. What is so hard about that, use the video available to you and get it right. Villa's goal today is onside on first viewing, you don't need to spend 2 minutes trying to find a snot that is offside. Same with Bobby's, it's onside and you can see it instantly.

Get rid at the end of the season, the negatives out weigh the positives a million to one.

I've said all along, if they can't judge without slowing and stopping the video, then it's not clear and obvious, that should be the bar. That clears up the absolute fuck ups (like the offside goal we got away with at West ham last season for example) , but will generally keep the game flowing by providing instant answers. Same for pens, handballs etc. If you can't tell in real time with the 3 or 4 angles you have, then it's just too difficult to call so go with the ref. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, A_S said:

Is there an issue in England with referee numbers at junior and lower league level? 

They're subjected to ridiculous abuse from the time they start (think it's from the ages of about 10 or 11 we started getting refs at my lads' games). I don't know why any of them bother to be honest, it must be far worse at higher age levels.

If the powers that be want 'proper' refs then they need to start with what rugby does- any dissent instantly punished, only the team's captain ever gets to talk to the ref, any hassle from coaches and parents results in the team being banned or forfeiting points.

As it is, you get people with extremely thick skin, which is a valuable quality, but competent and skilled officials drop by the wayside constantly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

They're subjected to ridiculous abuse from the time they start (think it's from the ages of about 10 or 11 we started getting refs at my lads' games). I don't know why any of them bother to be honest, it must be far worse at higher age levels.

If the powers that be want 'proper' refs then they need to start with what rugby does- any dissent instantly punished, only the team's captain ever gets to talk to the ref, any hassle from coaches and parents results in the team being banned or forfeiting points.

As it is, you get people with extremely thick skin, which is a valuable quality, but competent and skilled officials drop by the wayside constantly.

I used to do it,as well as coach,and I was among the best in the league (no arrogance intended) but the abuse just goes way over the line. If somebody spoke to you in the street the way some junior refs get spoken to) you'd spark them out.

22 hours ago, jsjazz said:

Lets see where we are at the end of the season.

I get that it takes away the spontaneity and the joy when a team scores. 

The problem is with bent / crap officials, not the concept. There's not much VAR can do if Atkinson decides to draw an offside line on the floor and join it up at a random angle rather than at 90 degrees to show Firmino "offside". Don't forget he fucked us over last week without VAR.

Also- all those decisions yesterday- we didn't get them from the pitch officials. Without VAR we still wouldn't have got them. Lets see at the end of the season how many decisions we wouldn't have got without VAR but got without VAR and vice versa.

Also, for 9 weeks the VAR official refuses to overturn the most blatant of mistakes. Last week they completely flip the other way, this week its back to normal. That's not VAR, that's just crap from Mike Riley and the refs association.

And lets not forget the glorious VAR wiping the smirk from baldy peanut head's face against Spurs- not once but twice!

VAR needs fucking off for this and this alone. This is the whole point of watching football.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, sir roger said:

Exactly , I assumed the VAR would be used by technicians who came with the system , I didn't know it would be Fat John Moss in a La Z Boy

Me too . That needs to change and referees should definitely be allowed to look at the pitch side monitors 

For Off-sides their is absolutely no way any decision should be wrong what with camera angles and the technology. Someone said the Firmino decision is just cheating when you get that wrong and I am inclined to agree. He was onside its simple as that. Everton as well yesterday. Shafted by more than incompetence. 

The refs, linesmen and var idiots should be paid on performance. Watch it start working 10x better. That won't happen though because the Refs union are more cloak- and dagger than the fucking freemasons. Half of them are freemasons as well aren't they? 

As funny as the City goal being over-turned last year in the champs league was, it is ruining the game as a spectacle. Decisions away from offside are subjective. Yes Refs have got stuff wrong for years but you can kind of be ok with most wrong ones after a while because of the speed of the game etc but when its someone seeing the same replays the rest of us see and they still have a different view is just wrong. 

42 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

For Off-sides their is absolutely no way any decision should be wrong what with camera angles and the technology. Someone said the Firmino decision is just cheating when you get that wrong and I am inclined to agree. He was onside its simple as that. Everton as well yesterday. Shafted by more than incompetence. 

The refs, linesmen and var idiots should be paid on performance. Watch it start working 10x better. That won't happen though because the Refs union are more cloak- and dagger than the fucking freemasons. Half of them are freemasons as well aren't they? 

As funny as the City goal being over-turned last year in the champs league was, it is ruining the game as a spectacle. Decisions away from offside are subjective. Yes Refs have got stuff wrong for years but you can kind of be ok with most wrong ones after a while because of the speed of the game etc but when its someone seeing the same replays the rest of us see and they still have a different view is just wrong. 

I take on board what you say and you're right but I like idea of having a system that gets pen decisions right and takes dodgy offside calls out of the game. It's who operating it and how it's interpreted that's the issue.

I think we need to reflect at the end of the season which gives the FA 6 months to get the twats pushing the buttons to up their game. I don't want to go back to pricks like Howard Webb fucking up my weekend if we can get VAR to work better.     

13 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I take on board what you say and you're right but I like idea of having a system that gets pen decisions right and takes dodgy offside calls out of the game. It's who operating it and how it's interpreted that's the issue.

I think we need to reflect at the end of the season which gives the FA 6 months to get the twats pushing the buttons to up their game. I don't want to go back to pricks like Howard Webb fucking up my weekend if we can get VAR to work better.     

Does VAR not give Howard Webb 2 go's at fucking up your weekend? If you Anthony Taylor and Martin Atkinson on the pitch and in control of VAR, one of them will make sure to get you. MOTD said they they view 26 replays of Alli's hand ball. That to me says they were buying time until they could come with a precedent for ruling it out.