You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR - The Verdict

Vincent Vega

VAR Verdict   

81 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with VAR?

• Get rid of it right now
    • Keep it, these are just teething problems
    • Persevere with it for now and review it at the end of the season

11 minutes ago, Jenson said:

No basis to overturn the offside? You mean apart from the fact Bobby was onside?

Clear & obvious. 

I don’t think these marginal calls should be offside.

I don’t like VAR.

But once the linesman gives it there’s no basis to overturn it.

The whole thing is a mess and I’d be furious if VAR had overruled a legit goal, but I can’t be angry about a marginal linesman’s decision being upheld.

The handball later on was much more ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

Forget VAR, it's a distraction.

By far the biggest and most positive difference the Premier League could make to our league is to sack Martin Atkinson, sack Mike Dean, sack Mike VanNistelRiley and a dozen of their cronies. It's  those incompetent cheating cunts who are ruining our game and who are responsible for giving VAR absolutely no chance of succeeding, even from day 1.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Clear & obvious. 

I don’t like VAR.

The whole thing is a mess and I’d be furious if VAR had overruled a legit goal, but I can’t be angry about a marginal linesman’s decision being upheld.

Going by the new ruling I think the linesman wasn't supposed to flag at all and then let var review it though. I'd say in that scenario the goal might have been given. 

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

By far the biggest and most positive difference the Premier League could make to our league is to sack Martin Atkinson, sack Mike Dean, sack Mike VanNistelRiley and a dozen of their cronies. It's  those incompetent cheating cunts who are ruining our game and who are responsible for giving VAR absolutely no chance of succeeding, even from day 1.

Yeah felt Klopp should have gone for him personally today. Let him off the hook by saying it's not due to one person.

It it was fergie he would never be reffing in the premier again.

• Upvote 1

Why don't they see what part of the body scored the goal, then check if that body part was offside?

Score with your right foot? Was your foot onside when the ball was played?

At least then we'd known what they're checking!

That Andy Gray thing is spot on. 

First line...he's onside. 

So delete it, move it a bit...offside!

Or at least use the yellow line that's preprogrammed to be perpendicular to the offside line, with no human interference. 

This "colour = red, thickness = 4, style = dashed" freehand line drawing is an absolute joke in a multi-billion pound industry. 

Would love for the company that created VAR to come out and say it's being used incorrectly. 

6 minutes ago, Lario said:

Why don't they see what part of the body scored the goal, then check if that body part was offside?

Score with your right foot? Was your foot onside when the ball was played?

At least then we'd known what they're checking!

That Andy Gray thing is spot on. 

First line...he's onside. 

So delete it, move it a bit...offside!

Or at least use the yellow line that's preprogrammed to be perpendicular to the offside line, with no human interference. 

This "colour = red, thickness = 4, style = dashed" freehand line drawing is an absolute joke in a multi-billion pound industry. 

Would love for the company that created VAR to come out and say it's being used incorrectly. 

Atkinson Drew his line in crayon. Fucking cheat.

8 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Clear & obvious. 

I don’t like VAR.

But onside/offside is not subject to this clear and obvious bollocks. It's not supposed to be subjective, it either is or it isn't. How many offside decisions have been given on the basis of millimetres so far this season with the justification of the technology can't be wrong? Mason Mount against us is one that springs to mind when Chelsea had a goal disallowed for an offside nobody saw.

This whole VAR shitshow needs fucking off asap. It's ruining the game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Clear & obvious. 

I don’t like VAR.

This is a good point, the drawback to having the linesman actually willing to flag for a difficult call (which most people have complained about them not doing in the early part of the season), is that they might get one wrong.

Changes the question from "is it offside" to should the call be overruled. Exactly the same thing happens in rugby and is why hearing the question and conversation is so important.

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

A quick it was onside and nonsense in one sentence and that was it. On they all moved to Sadio getting booked.

That's really all it needed, to be fair. VAR is clearly not working and they are probably fed up with saying it.

VAR could have made football a far better sport if it was being used properly. The way it is, I wonder if they are deliberately turning football into a prank show.

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

This is a good point, the drawback to having the linesman actually willing to flag for a difficult call (which most people have complained about them not doing in the early part of the season), is that they might get one wrong.

Changes the question from "is it offside" to should the call be overruled. Exactly the same thing happens in rugby and is why hearing the question and conversation is so important.

Yes, the conversation is vital. It gives transparency and could help people understand perplexing decisions. The on-field ref needs to be a part of the decision-making process. But how do you achieve that in football? You’d need to have big screens in every ground and long stoppages. That changes the culture of football massively and might lead to 30-minute halves with the clock stopped every time the ball is dead. 

Anyway, until the last few games we’d benefitted from some tight VAR calls; since then we’ve had it go against us but we’ve been able to come through almost unscathed.

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Using a cricket analogy rather than rugby, i would think offside would equate to 'line' decisions such as run outs. These are black and white and no weight is given to the on field decision when reviewed.

5 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

Using a cricket analogy rather than rugby, i would think offside would equate to 'line' decisions such as run outs. These are black and white and no weight is given to the on field decision when reviewed.

Theoretically that should work, but you’re dealing with 2 different shots most of the time - the shot of the ball being played and the shot of the player who receives the ball. There needs to be a clear definition of playing the ball too - is it when it leaves the player’s foot or when the foot first makes contact? Technology only goes so far. 

A by-product of VAR has been twisting the laws of the game to fit around it - the tail is wagging the dog. The farce that is handball and the fact that offsides are now so minimal. I’d use it as an opportunity to re-write the offside law to the ‘daylight’ rule from the 90’s so that any part of the body level = onside.

1 hour ago, rubble-rouser said:

Yes, the conversation is vital. It gives transparency and could help people understand perplexing decisions. The on-field ref needs to be a part of the decision-making process. But how do you achieve that in football? You’d need to have big screens in every ground and long stoppages. That changes the culture of football massively and might lead to 30-minute halves with the clock stopped every time the ball is dead.  

Anyway, until the last few games we’d benefitted from some tight VAR calls; since then we’ve had it go against us but we’ve been able to come through almost unscathed.

I don't think it has to affect the fans in the ground much at all.  There are obviously devices that can key in people who want to listen, as used in other sports.  But in general as long as people know it's under review they'll wait and have to find out after the game exactly what happened, but at least they'll know why.

I don't think there's a satisfactory answer, fans are always going to complain either about accuracy or competency regardless of the setup.

Just now, ben48 said:

Kamara has just said “ someone at oakshott didn’t want this to be a goal”, says it all really.

It does, yeah. Foolish of me to think that VAR would help give clarity to tricky situations, where as really it just adds more confusion because of stupid humans being stupid and possibly dodgy as fuck. 

To be fair to Riley, Moss and Atkinson. They've been really busy with their other task, sorting Brexit. 

Ball line technology isn't open to interpretation, whenever a decision is then these wankers will show how damned unless they are. 

We need open mics and proper explanations from the officials for these decisions. They hide away and do not have to explain themselves. 

Lets see where we are at the end of the season.

I get that it takes away the spontaneity and the joy when a team scores. 

The problem is with bent / crap officials, not the concept. There's not much VAR can do if Atkinson decides to draw an offside line on the floor and join it up at a random angle rather than at 90 degrees to show Firmino "offside". Don't forget he fucked us over last week without VAR.

Also- all those decisions yesterday- we didn't get them from the pitch officials. Without VAR we still wouldn't have got them. Lets see at the end of the season how many decisions we wouldn't have got without VAR but got without VAR and vice versa.

Also, for 9 weeks the VAR official refuses to overturn the most blatant of mistakes. Last week they completely flip the other way, this week its back to normal. That's not VAR, that's just crap from Mike Riley and the refs association.

And lets not forget the glorious VAR wiping the smirk from baldy peanut head's face against Spurs- not once but twice!

16 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Amen to that. It's not the tool that's the problem, it's the bad workmen. VAR is just a convenient distraction from the fact that the standard of refereeing is worse than ever.

• Upvote 1