You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR - The Verdict

Vincent Vega

VAR Verdict   

81 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with VAR?

• Get rid of it right now
    • Keep it, these are just teething problems
    • Persevere with it for now and review it at the end of the season

I mean, I've been watching football for nigh on three decades now and that Firmino decision had me googling the offside rule at half time to make sure that hands and arms didn't count for offsides only for Martin fucking Atkinson to give a bogus decision over an armpit being maybe a millimetre off. It needs to be fucked off sharpish.

It works considerably better in other leagues because the standard of officiating is generally better and, crucially, there is less shithousery amongst the refs. Less fear of having a few decisions overturned.

At the moment I think it's having a negative effect in terms of football as a spectacle, and we're actually seeing worse refereeing. Linos instructed not to flag with the theory that they can just check later. Which phase of play? Who determines what constitutes a phase of play? What percentage of the players have the first clue how to incorporate this into how they play? 

Refs can now "Howard Webb" (avoiding making a single decision) even more than previously, emboldened as they are by VAR. Make shit decision (or usually non-decision) - check VAR - couple of replays show what everyone in the ground and at home could see, that the ref had made a shit decision - decide it wasn't a clear enough error to change the decision - stick with shit decision, but having wasted several minutes of everyone's time and interrupted the flow of the game.

It's shite, clearly too confusing for the imbeciles in charge, and is used "politically" in England as the spineless, snide fucking cunt Riley oversees the whole operation. 

Fuck VAR, get some foreign refs in that don't give a shit about the reputation of clubs, the opinion of anyone in the British media, or admitting when they've made an error. 

For me there's a misunderstanding of what VAR actually is. What it is, is a video replay system. That's it. It doesn't tell you how to interpret anything, it doesn't tell you to make a certain decision, it doesn't tell you when you should consult it, it's just video that is there to be looked at. It's not complicated. It should be easy to use, after all, you can use it however you want. It's just video. 

The problem is that it seems no one in football has figured out a way to make having what is basically an extra referee watching a match, with the added benefit of zooms and slo-mo's and what have you, useful. The whole thing is farcical. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, John102 said:

Up until today, i thought it was slightly more technical than someone randomly moving lines about to decide whether it was offside or not.

Yep. I originally thought it'd be like the Hawkeye goal line/ cricket/ tennis tech. It's clearly nowhere near accurate enough to make these offside decisions. Christ, even the lines that are being drawn must be an inch or more thick. And that's even if they have the correct frame anyway. My applied maths has long gone, but I'd be amazed if a camera could accurately capture the exact moment a ball was played and the positions of two players running at speed in opposite directions (and what is the camera even recording at- 30 fps? Or is it much higher?). We're talking about millimetres here in some cases, and random body parts. Why not restrict it to players' feet as a more sensible option?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I'm sorry but I just won't have it that this isn't bent. No, I don't mean the line, which is OBVIOUSLY bent, but the fucking refs implementing it. 

This isn't incompetence. It's cheating.

EIZEFRqWwAE7jgU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Has the offside law been changed as until very recently they said you could only be offside if a part of the body which could legally score a goal was in an offside position? An arm is an illegal way of scoring.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Has the offside law been changed as until very recently they said you could only be offside if a part of the body which could legally score a goal was in an offside position? An arm is an illegal way of scoring.

Bobby's no look, armpit finishes have been under scrutiny for some time.

Before it came in I was all for it.Now though I just want it gone.

Our last 2 games have been the turning point. I watched the 5-5 league cup game with my dad, and we both said how much more enjoyable it was being able to celebrate a goal knowing that it wasn't going to be chalked off.

That offside today was the final straw. When I saw the initial replay I celebrated, because he was clearly onside, and based on what has happened so far this season I fully expected the goal to be given. I was that shocked that it wasn't given I didn't even celebrate our two goals because I was expecting them to be disallowed!

It really is killing football. It must be even worse for the match going fan.  

• Upvote 4

The official statement from the Premier League is absolutely fucking bonkers. It's like they don't know anything about football or worse still, the human anatomy.

Please, anybody who has a ball within reach right now - please try to hold the ball against your armpit without it touching your arm.

Honestly, just have a go. 

Because that tweet above is insinuating that a player can legitimately (and within the laws of the game) score a goal with his armpit, without it touching his arm. It's literally fucking impossible. It defies the laws of physics.

• Upvote 3

Just now, FrenchEyeGlass said:

The official statement from the Premier League is absolutely fucking bonkers. It's like they don't know anything about football or worse still, the human anatomy.

Please, anybody who has a ball within reach right now - please try to hold the ball against your armpit without it touching your arm.

Honestly, just have a go. 

Because that tweet above is insinuating that a player can legitimately (and within the laws of the game) score a goal with his armpit, without it touching his arm. It's literally fucking impossible. It defies the laws of physics.

The closest you can get to playing the ball with your armpit without it touching your arm is if it was played with your upper pec. Most footballers aren't doing pyramid sets of incline bench press in their spare time so I doubt any of them would have a pronounced pec muscle anyway, but pretending they do, that line draw on firmino shifts to the right a few millimeters anyway.

43 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No,

The shoulder. Can play the ball with a shoulder.

The 'armpit' is that bit that is directly under the shoulder joint where the hair grows. It is ludicrous for the PL, PGMOL or any ref to say the 'armpit' is offside. Bobby would have to be side on to the goal for his armpit to be the leading part of his body.

But even then 'it' wouldnt be offside because the armpit is under the shoulder, his arm or shoulder would be offside first unless there's something anatomically wrong with Bobby's upper body! This is just a nonesense explanation rushed out by the PL because the 'offside' call was so farsical and incorrect.

• Upvote 1

I was for it because I mistakenly thought it would sort out dubious decisions but it's just a pile of shite that needs binning at the end of the season. 

I can understand people wanting it gone yesterday but that wouldn't be right for teams wronged by this shit fest so that's why I've gone for option 3 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Today's Nonsense is a non-issue. The linesman gave offside and VAR had no basis to overturn it. The bigger issue was the handball that was no reviewed 

No basis to overturn the offside? You mean apart from the fact Bobby was onside?