You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Genk (H) Champions League 5/11 - 20:00

Bjornebye

Think we're managing our way through at the moment, managing a massive workload through to January. Changing the team necessarily through to January doesn't help the fluidity. But we're getting the results. Big boy shit.

Sunday is huge obviously, but get to January and I think we'll settle the 11 a bit and start to power through.

City will too obviously, so the key is to be in front then. The levels these teams are operating at are ridiculously high. Unprecedented really

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

If Genk hold Salzburg to a draw at home or beat them we are through anyway. Genk are shite, but they held Napoli and Salzburg are hit and miss themselves. I reckon we'll beat Napoli at home anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Was very good. Bossed Fabinho last 30 mins 

That's Sander Berge from Norway. Been linked to a host of top clubs around Europe. He's only 21. Along with Odegaard should be able to make the Norwegian national side a bit better (and more aesthetically pleasing) in the coming years.

I don't know, I could almost forgive the players for taking their eye off the ball even slightly tonight. Sunday really is that big a deal. That they still got the result with a handful of changes is typical of this team. 

Anfield needs to bring its absolute A-game for the oil cunts on Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

There was spells where we looked razor sharp and ready to tear Genk apart, but they were interspersed with spells where we were sloppy. We didn't get out of third gear in this game overall, and I wonder if a lot of these players had one eye on the game at the weekend. Not that they pulled out of challenges or anything shithouse-y like that, but they kept back just a little bit to avoid putting themselves out of contention for the next game. Maybe it was an element of complacency. Whatever it is, the coaching staff must eradicate it sharpish because it doesn't help us to have so many game which are a close contest in terms of the scoreline.

Ox was the pick of our players. Purposeful and prepared to carry the ball as well as make runs beyond the front players, it gave us an extra dimension that we didn't make full use of. He fully deserved his goal and on recent form he has really staked a claim for a regular first-team place. Fabinho was his usual tidy and industrious self, and Keith had his moments where he looked like he would make things happen. Gini worked his bollocks off and deserved his goal.

Mo and Big Div made plenty of decent runs and had some good moments, but both forgot their shooting boots. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the Belgian as he had one decent effort saved in the second half with a curling shot from the edge of the area, but otherwise the two of them were scuffing, dragging or pulling their efforts constantly. Composure at the decisive moments was missing.

Defensively, we are switching off a little bit too often and it's causing us problems and in recent weeks at least, it's been resulting in goals against. Genk scored from one such moment and they had another couple of chances too. The defensive unit must communicate better and stay switched on no matter how much we dominate games or how many goals we're leading by. Big Virg is not quite playing at the same levels as last season.

9 points from the group matches last year's total already, and we have Napoli at home next. Get the job done and give some of the players a breather for the final group game in Salzburg.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Ox on after 60 I reckon 

Probably, he's obviously in Klopp's plans for some sort of a role imo. 

Did anyone notice the cheeky camera coverage on Mane when the ball from Salah didn't reach him? 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Did anyone notice the cheeky camera coverage on Mane when the ball from Salah didn't reach him? 

Yes. He looked as if he knew Salah would play a soft ball and not put him in. He looked like he had given up being bothered about it anymore. His run was off as well, usually he would have been flying but as soon as Salah controlled it you looked and he was just jogging. I hope its nothing but that didn't look right. 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes. He looked as if he knew Salah would play a soft ball and not put him in. He looked like he had given up being bothered about it anymore. His run was off as well, usually he would have been flying but as soon as Salah controlled it you looked and he was just jogging. I hope its nothing but that didn't look right. 

Really? Don't be making up shit that's not there, there's enough media whores doing it. 

a5jnPMPg_700wa_0.gif

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I blame Mane and here's why. His legitimate response to what happened a few weeks ago should not have been made in public. Salah has had an injury but the resulting commentary has affected him . I feel he is trying to put other players in at times when his first instinct is to shoot . That indecision is resulting in his timing being off like last night. Salah is in poor touch anyway and only taking on worldies and chasing lost causes . He  needs to flip it around shoot first or dead cert pass second. Ox decision making correct last night for his goal. Salah is trying too hard to pick out passes now needs back to what he did against chelsea last year . In fact the pair of them need to forget about the other and just shoot Bobby will sort the carving out of the chances.