You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fixture Pile up

Lee909

Would like to win the World Cup at last after the cheating last time , not so bothered with the League Cup so would field a scratch side of youngsters at Villa.

Understand the comments from posters about the lack of help from the FL , but realistically they can't invent dates that don't exist or let us void the competition, so we are just going to have to bite the bullet. Sitting watching the Wolves game under Hodgson the thought of sitting moaning about finding a way to play the World Club championship as European champions was a long way away.

• Upvote 8

Id love Liverpool to be crowned World Champions even if it is a poxy 'little' competition. We'd have taken the title on if we'd have ever managed it in those one off games in Tokyo.

But 30 fucking years without a league title hurts like fuck especially when you used to stand on The Kop during the 60's, 70's and 80's and saw the team winning them. I honestly cannot describe the pain Ive felt seeing united, chelsea, arsenal and now manchester city winning it regularly while we have missed out. By my reckoning, we should have won it 4 times if we'd been a little bit better or, the footballing gods hadnt shit on us.

We've paid our pennance as far as Im concerned. I want the league title and Id gladly give up the World title, Champions League, FA Cup and EFL Cup. Sure, Id love to retain the CL as much as anyone but the biggest danger  to me is any one of those other competitions may make number 19 one game too far away.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Id love Liverpool to be crowned World Champions even if it is a poxy 'little' competition. We'd have taken the title on if we'd have ever managed it in those one off games in Tokyo.

But 30 fucking years without a league title hurts like fuck especially when you used to stand on The Kop during the 60's, 70's and 80's and saw the team winning them. I honestly cannot describe the pain Ive felt seeing united, chelsea, arsenal and now manchester city winning it regularly while we have missed out. By my reckoning, we should have won it 4 times if we'd been a little bit better or, the footballing gods hadnt shit on us.

We've paid our pennance as far as Im concerned. I want the league title and Id gladly give up the World title, Champions League, FA Cup and EFL Cup. Sure, Id love to retain the CL as much as anyone but the biggest danger  to me is any one of those other competitions may make number 19 one game too far away.

I reckon we’ll give the League Cup kids another chance in the FA Cup in January. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The ideal scenario would be that we have a big lead come February and we can take a chance resting one or two players in the league. I think it'll be the B-team all the way in the domestic Cups.

Why does no one ever moan about the likes of Newcastle, Watford, Brighton and Bournemouth all fielding weak teams in the League Cup?.  The majority of the time these clubs go out in the early stages of the competition to lower league teams. These clubs only ambition is to finish 17th or higher in the Premier league.

But if Liverpool do the same because they are in the Chnampuons League or in this case, the World club Cup (actually trying to win trophies) they are disrespectful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Why does no one ever moan about the likes of Newcastle, Watford, Brighton and Bournemouth all fielding weak teams in the League Cup?.  The majority of the time these clubs go out in the early stages of the competition to lower league teams. These clubs only ambition is to finish 17th or higher in the Premier league.

But if Liverpool do the same because they are in the Chnampuons League or in this case, the World club Cup (actually trying to win trophies) they are disrespectful.

Bang on . The domestic cups are more devalued when the shite play weakened teams than by us giving young talent a run out 

The League Cup 'squad' have done very well to this point. That even this group of kids and fringe players has to be compromised further due to the ridiculous CWC rules around the squad arriving days before the tournament, shows the near-impossible situation the club is in. 

I agree with others who said this group should be given the FA Cup fixtures too. Klopp would have no trouble batting away questions about squad strength either, given the 2nd XI had won their games, as well as made significant contributions to the goals scored since the Napoli loss, when rotation started to kick in. 

• Upvote 1

One easy way to solve it in the future.

Let the league cup be a competition between teams not qualified for Europe and play the games on the same dates. Winner gets a place in the Europa league next season.

The fixture dates for 3rd and 4th rounds are free to play PL matches, making it possible to have that 14 days winter break Klopp wants so much.

This will be better for the league cup as the second best teams would have a proper chance of winning it, thus playing stronger teams. It would probably increase the status of the FA cup as well as the top teams would only participate in one domestic cup tournament. They could also continue playing double semi's if they want to.

• Upvote 2