You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Arsenal 5 (Oct 30 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

That was so much fun. It might only be the League Cup, but this is a game that will be remembered for a long time. It was great wasn’t it? We know the first team can pull off results like this, but seeing a bunch of teenagers doing the same was just brilliant.

Winning this cup isn’t something I dream of or even care about. I mean it’d be nice if we did win it and I want us to win every game we play. What I’m saying is I wouldn’t risk any first choice players in an attempt to win the thing because it’s just not that important. It’s not worth risking our star players, and besides, there’s something special about seeing the young lads given an opportunity and grasping it like this.

Despite not being bothered about winning the competition, I badly wanted to win this game and I think everyone felt the same. The crowd were into it, the players put everything they had into it and Klopp looked like he was going to cry with joy afterwards. It was fucking great. 

I wanted to win the game but I wouldn’t have lost any sleep about going out of the competition. Something changed during the game though and all of a sudden it began to feel really important and I desperately wanted us to turn them over. I know why. It was because of the reaction of Arsenal’s players when they scored and then listening to their fans crowing like this was a proper game.

All of a sudden it started to feel much more important than it was. Arsenal were acting like they were beating Big Virg, Bobby, Sadio, Robbo, Mo and the boys. In reality, they were facing half a dozen teenagers and some senior lads who needed game time. Hearing the gloating coming from the away end just made me want us to stick it to the fuckers, and we did.

The second half display was great. The first half was a bit of a train wreck. It started well enough, with Ox running onto a nice ball from Neco Williams and picking out Mustafa in the middle for a close range finish. With that clown in the box it’s just as profitable putting the ball near him than your own strikers.

It was a confident start from the lads but then it started go wrong after Arsenal equalised. We brought it on ourselves by losing the ball cheaply. Ox I think it was, lost the ball with a sloppy pass and it put us on the back foot. We never really recovered from it, though Torreira was offside when he put the ball in the net. No VAR in this competition though. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Great Dave, I too sooo wanted the win more as the game wore on. And what was with that Maitland-Niles dick giving it large to the kop after he took his penno? Fuck off.

I'm sure that was to his keeper. 

Nice report dave, it was a great night and it definitely was they're Barcelona. Did themselves proud. 

A shameful mention to some folks on here who threw everyone of the kids under the bus and gave them no chance. Fair weather fans. 

Spot on on many levels Dave: the Arse players and fans giving it the beans when they went 4-2 (and you’re spot-on, it was it was a Champion’s League semi to hear the way the fuckers got on); VDB looking out of his depth and Keita...looking out of his depth! I can’t remember a more disappointing signing than Keita; injuries or not he’s been bang average apart from a 4 or 5 game spell at the tail end of last season. But we shelled £54 large for this lad band he’s been a disaster.

19 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I was the same with regards to wanting to win more as the game wore on. Watching it with my boy and even at 2-4 I was still a bit ‘meh’ and was fucking around on my phone. Once it got back to 3-4 we were both all in and the late equaliser got a proper celebration. 

Same for me, I did not bother, my son did , and when we got 1-3 down , it did not go well with him at all. So much fun after that and a great night. Then we were told Brest was also on TV ( who’s not these days ?), and for the very first time in my life I watch 2 penalty shoot out in 10 minutes .... just looking at the result keeps making me smile and thinking - that was fun wasn’t it ? Une putain de bonne soirée right ? 

Anyone else think the praise for Ozil in the media is way over the top? He's a World Cup winner, their highest paid player and he had a decent game against a scratch side, including 5 lads aged 20 or under and a defence who had barely met each other before Wednesday...and a no. 6 who's only ever played their in one other competitive game (against MK Dons!). You'd think it was the 2nd coming from some of the media analysis.

I was resigned to losing this when I saw the line-ups but pleased for the lads getting a game. Their attitude was great despite making plenty of mistakes.Brewster didn't stand out so much, but his commitment and desire were fantastic - a couple of tough tackles close together in the 2nd half on the MS side really got the crowd up. The sight of the young lads rushing off the subs bench to mob Neco W after the equaliser was brilliant, too.

Got fed up listening to the 5Live team creaming themselves over Rashford's goal and switched to TalkShite  - where an Arsenal fan was having a rant - 'Champions of Europe? They let in 5 at home! Klopp should have a better squad than to let 5 in at home'. The TS guys were almost speechless at the stupidity.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Anyone else think the praise for Ozil in the media is way over the top? He's a World Cup winner, their highest paid player and he had a decent game against a scratch side, including 5 lads aged 20 or under and a defence who had barely met each other before Wednesday...and a no. 6 who's only ever played their in one other competitive game (against MK Dons!). You'd think it was the 2nd coming from some of the media analysis.

I was resigned to losing this when I saw the line-ups but pleased for the lads getting a game. Their attitude was great despite making plenty of mistakes.Brewster didn't stand out so much, but his commitment and desire were fantastic - a couple of tough tackles close together in the 2nd half on the MS side really got the crowd up. The sight of the young lads rushing off the subs bench to mob Neco W after the equaliser was brilliant, too.

Got fed up listening to the 5Live team creaming themselves over Rashford's goal and switched to TalkShite  - where an Arsenal fan was having a rant - 'Champions of Europe? They let in 5 at home! Klopp should have a better squad than to let 5 in at home'. The TS guys were almost speechless at the stupidity.

Even Ozil can't see eye to eye on this mate. 

16 hours ago, sir roger said:

Sneering at Arsenal for thinking a chance of getting to the quarter final of the League Cup is a 'proper game' is a bit sad for somebody like myself who has been to and had great experiences at loads of LC games over the years. 

I hear you, but I don't think it was about 'reaching the quarters' for them. They were cock-o-hoop because they thought they were beating Liverpool.

I watched a couple of Arsenal Fan TV videos after and they were saying things like they were 'proud' of the fight their players showed and that 'coming here and scoring five is something special'. They should have won that convincingly as they had a more experienced side that has been playing together in the Europa League.

Seriously, they were talking like they'd faced the European Champions rather than a side with six teenagers in and a back five containing Kelleher, Williams and Van den Berg.

• Upvote 4

All of a sudden it started to feel much more important than it was. Arsenal were acting like they were beating Big Virg, Bobby, Sadio, Robbo, Mo and the boys. In reality, they were facing half a dozen teenagers and some senior lads who needed game time. Hearing the gloating coming from the away end just made me want us to stick it to the fuckers, and we did.

Repped for this para - so good I want to rep it twice!

4 hours ago, DaveT said:

Ozil is the very definition of a "flat track bully" - he should have taken a game like this by the scruff of the neck and seen Arsenal home - but he didn't.

4 hours ago, dave u said:

I hear you, but I don't think it was about 'reaching the quarters' for them. They were cock-o-hoop because they thought they were beating Liverpool.

I watched a couple of Arsenal Fan TV videos after and they were saying things like they were 'proud' of the fight their players showed and that 'coming here and scoring five is something special'. They should have won that convincingly as they had a more experienced side that has been playing together in the Europa League.

Seriously, they were talking like they'd faced the European Champions rather than a side with six teenagers in and a back five containing Kelleher, Williams and Van den Berg.

Fair enough Dave , take your point.

I am surprised that some Arsenal fans were equating it with a full Liverpool team , but it seemed a bit hypocritical for me to be jumping around the bedroom swearing like a sailor when the second Origi goal went in, and criticising Arsenal fans who had made the journey up for celebrating when they scored.

8 hours ago, dave u said:

Ray Parlour said later that evening that Arsenal would be crushed. They were on the brink of winning at Anfield and had it snatched away from them. Yet another club broken by Klopp's Liverpool.

15 hours ago, StevieMax said:

Repped for this para - so good I want to rep it twice!

Did the honour for you mate

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
12 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Were you visiting the Aquaduct pal ? 

Yes. Been there a few times as it's great walking across it when there's not too many people about. Crossed it steering a canal boat once and nearly shit myself until I realised it's actually impossible for a boat to fall over the lip.