You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Elliott is an exceptional talent

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has hailed the talent of Harvey Elliott after the 16 year-old produced a impressive display in Liverpool’s thrilling penalty shootout victory against Arsenal on Wednesday evening.

The Reds came back from 3-1 and 4-2 down to tie the scores at 5-5 through a Divock Origi strike late in injury time before winning 5-4 in the shootout.

Elliott became the youngest ever player to feature for Liverpool at Anfield and he won the spot-kick which James Milner duly converted at the end of the first half and Klopp said (via the Echo) that it was great he was able to display his talents to a large audience.

“Harvey played really well. Not like you would expect from a 16-year-old.

“It's easy to be convinced about him when you see him training. He is an exceptional talent really and is a nice kid as well.

“To see him encourage the crowd around the corners...I had a couple of moments where I was really touched.

image.png                              

Along with Elliott, Klopp gave Anfield debuts to Sepp van den Berg, Rhian Brewster and Caoimhin Kelleher while young Welsh right-back Neco Williams made his professional debut.

Klopp said he did not hesitate to give the exposure to the aforementioned players in this cup tie and it was even better that they all played a role in the victory.

"I don’t want to take that for granted, to be honest. It is always special and it was special tonight.

"I was absolutely convinced we could give them a proper game.

"That is why decided on the line-up. But when you are 3-1 down, we played some really good football.

“We lost the ball in the wrong areas and we were too open. We had to wait for half-time and you hope then you can change a couple of things. But it was 3-2, that’s right? It was good!

The joy that Klopp got from the occasion was evident in his post-match comments even while admitting mistakes were made.

“You know, I just enjoyed it. I enjoyed each second of the game. I don’t know the last time I had so much fun in a football game.

image.png

“I saw so many really good performances, I was so happy for the kids that they will remember the first night for the rest of their lives. 

“They made it a proper, special football night. Everyone who came tonight saw 19 goals – pretty special. Really perfect. Absolutely perfect.

“Yes, as a manager maybe I should worry more about the goals we conceded but I couldn’t care less. To be honest, I couldn't care less. 

“The mistakes that we made were obvious. 

“The fifth goal (from Joe Wilock) was a really good goal but all the others we had a hand in.

“ But it’s not important. The most important thing for development is that you react in the right way. 

“All these boys need to play in difficult football games – and it was a difficult football game. They worked their socks off and left their soul on the pitch. I really loved it."

View full article

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Elliott is doing well for his age , but I worry about players who are totally one-footed , so much so that they have to make simple passes with their 'wrong' foot.

Yes but he called Harry Kane a fucking mong. He can stay in the summer. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Had a decent game last night, I won't be going OTT about it though as he lost the ball quite a lot. He certainly has the talent to make it, need to see how he progresses over the next 18 months. 

Guest Pistonbroke
21 minutes ago, Elite said:

Bags of ability but he's got to live the life now and not get carried away, which can't be easy for young footballers especially when they are on a couple thousand a week at 16.

I'd have probably not made it to my 21st if I had been in that position. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'd have probably not made it to my 21st if I had been in that position. 

It's easy to see why a lot of young lads at top clubs end up having crap careers at lower League clubs, you could have the time of your life for a few years but ultimately it will derail any aspirations of being an elite footballer.

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Elite said:

It's easy to see why a lot of young lads at top clubs end up having crap careers at lower League clubs, you could have the time of your life for a few years but ultimately it will derail any aspirations of being an elite footballer.

Indeed. How many of us haven't ruined great chances in our own lives due to stupid decisions we made due to inexperience and brashness. I know I have. These young lads have that ten fold. 

• 4 years later...
Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

This kid doesn't get nearly enough credit.

He's notched his game up by at least a couple of levels this season, and in the last month he's been a fucking machine, playng loads of minutes and running his legs off.

Could not agree more. What a guy, plays with full heart every game. Has crazy stamina levels too to keep going.

• Upvote 3