You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Yes, it's currently 10% FTTH- which will give giga bit speeds. I'm surprised at the figure for over 100 Mbps, presumably that's pretty much all Virgin- if so, I didn't realise they had that much coverage.

Isn’t all Virgin FTTH/P? That 8% seems to be just open reach. 

I might well be wrong, I’ve not been at my PC for a week. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Isn’t all Virgin FTTH/P? That 8% seems to be just open reach. 

I might well be wrong, I’ve not been at my PC for a week. 

Not quite- https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/how-does-fibre-optic-broadband-work

Again, one provider that works a bit differently is Virgin Media. If you have Virgin Media broadband, the lines between the exchange and your street cabinet are fibre optic, but between the cabinet and your home is a coaxial cable. Although they're mostly made of copper, coaxial cables can send data way faster than standard phone lines. That's how Virgin Media can offer average speeds of 362Mb.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I see that Honey Monster Ann Widecombe has said she was offered a role by Downing street in Brexit Negotiations if she stood down as a candidate. 

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Oh yeah, that’s fucking true actually. So I assume the BT stuff is just phone cable from the cabinet? That’s why it’s slower? 

Also, I’d be well up for gigabit inter webs. Up the Jezza. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh yeah, that’s fucking true actually. So I assume the BT stuff is just phone cable from the cabinet? That’s why it’s slower? 

Yep, fibre from the exchange to the cabinet, then copper to your house. Cheap and cheerful and a complete bummer if you're a long way from the cabinet.

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

You''ll have to re-download all your shows in 4k and 5K. 

Guest Pistonbroke

What gets my back up is the media coverage which is supposed to be neutral during a GE.

Tories come out with a policy which sounds unbelievable to some yet interests others. Wall to wall coverage about said policy with nice little reports. For example their latest one in reference to 50 million more GP appointments per year and 6000 new doctors blah blah blah.

Labour come out with a policy that sounds unbelievable to some yet interests others, for example the Broadband policy blah blah blah. Wall to wall coverage about what the Tories think of said policy. 

That's how they portray trust in the Tory Party whilst portraying mistrust in the other Parties, normally Labour. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

What gets my back up is the media coverage which is supposed to be neutral during a GE.

Tories come out with a policy which sounds unbelievable to some yet interests others. Wall to wall coverage about said policy with nice little reports. For example their latest one in reference to 50 million more GP appointments per year and 6000 new doctors blah blah blah.

Labour come out with a policy that sounds unbelievable to some yet interests others, for example the Broadband policy blah blah blah. Wall to wall coverage about what the Tories think of said policy. 

That's how they portray trust in the Tory Party whilst portraying mistrust in the other Parties, normally Labour. 

It's been the same for years. Tory party policies are taken as the natural order of things, There Is No Alternative. I always remember after the 2010 election the BBC having debates on what should be cut, not whether stuff should be cut in the first place. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Mudface said:

It's been the same for years. Tory party policies are taken as the natural order of things, There Is No Alternative. I always remember after the 2010 election the BBC having debates on what should be cut, not whether stuff should be cut in the first place. 

Yeah, it just seems to be getting worse with every GE. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I can only say that after the elections, whoever wins, the UK will be by far the best place to live in the whole wide world, Tories will hire 6000 new doctors and invest 5 billion in fiber, Labour will invest 20 billion in fiber and give it away for free, Lib Dems are investing 100 billion in the new carbon free economy, Greens are introducing universal basic income.

Such a shame most of this paradize will be under water in 10 years or whatever the Extinction Rebellion election pledge is.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I can only say that after the elections, whoever wins, the UK will be by far the best place to live in the whole wide world, Tories will hire 6000 new doctors and invest 5 billion in fiber, Labour will invest 20 billion in fiber and give it away for free, Lib Dems are investing 100 billion in the new carbon free economy, Greens are introducing universal basic income.

Such a shame most of this paradize will be under water in 10 years or whatever the Extinction Rebellion election pledge is.

I'm just shocked that nobody has mentioned a Wall. 

Lots of interesting information on here;

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/broadband-provider-with-best-customer-service.html

Comparing Service Quality Report 2018 2017 2016
Average overall satisfaction with broadband 83% 80% 87%

As the table shows, the industry average for customer satisfaction is currently 83%. This is better than in 2017, but still a little worse than 2016.

All providers included, apart from Plusnet, enjoyed a better score compared to 2017's report.

Comparing Service Quality Reports: Complaints per 100k customers
Rank (2018) Provider 2018* 2017 2016
1 Sky 20 29 25
2 EE 36 61 76
3 Virgin Media 51 54 36
4 BT 79 115 71
5 TalkTalk 96 113 85
6 Plusnet 101 99 89
  Industry average 58 75 56

On a very simple point the tread seems to be people are happier in 2018 than 2017 but not as happy as they were in 2016.

So basically competition does not improve services as it is worse in 2018 than 2016

So basically competition does      improve services as it is better in 2018 than 2017

ITV news was on last night and they interviewed a load of retired shipbuilders in Barrow. All looked like proper Brexit obsessed twats and one pipes up saying he's voting Tory because Boris Johnson is charismatic and will get the country back on track. All the other cunts round the table put their hands up saying they are voting Tory.

Thick fucking bastards. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

ITV news was on last night and they interviewed a load of retired shipbuilders in Barrow. All looked like proper Brexit obsessed twats and one pipes up saying he's voting Tory because Boris Johnson is charismatic and will get the country back on track. All the other cunts round the table put their hands up saying they are voting Tory.

Thick fucking bastards. 

Have you ever been to Barrow? They all put their hands up because a bird flew past. 

16 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Lots of interesting information on here;

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/broadband-provider-with-best-customer-service.html

Comparing Service Quality Report 2018 2017 2016
Average overall satisfaction with broadband 83% 80% 87%

As the table shows, the industry average for customer satisfaction is currently 83%. This is better than in 2017, but still a little worse than 2016.

All providers included, apart from Plusnet, enjoyed a better score compared to 2017's report.

Comparing Service Quality Reports: Complaints per 100k customers
Rank (2018) Provider 2018* 2017 2016
1 Sky 20 29 25
2 EE 36 61 76
3 Virgin Media 51 54 36
4 BT 79 115 71
5 TalkTalk 96 113 85
6 Plusnet 101 99 89
  Industry average 58 75 56

On a very simple point the tread seems to be people are happier in 2018 than 2017 but not as happy as they were in 2016.

So basically competition does not improve services as it is worse in 2018 than 2016

So basically competition does      improve services as it is better in 2018 than 2017

Take it to the broadband speed thread you fucking geeks 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Thick fucking bastards. 

I wouldn't be able to help myself as a reporter. After the official interview and off camera I'd sit down to have a pint with them and say, 'Anyway lads, what do you make of the leaked plans that the Conservatives are going to reduce pensions?' Then sit back and sup my pint whilst the fuckers imploded. 

33 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Thick fucking bastards. 

Thick retired working class bastards. Cunts. Thick fucking bastards.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I wouldn't be able to help myself as a reporter. After the official interview and off camera I'd sit down to have a pint with them and say, 'Anyway lads, what do you make of the leaked plans that the Conservatives are going to reduce pensions?' Then sit back and sup my pint whilst the fuckers imploded. 

Luckily a situation that won’t arise