You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The only comfort to be taken from those polls are that they're a couple of weeks out of date in most cases, and the big movement during the last campaign occurred after the manifesto was released. Otherwise, it's looking very bleak.

For me the biggest comfort is they don't really show how each seat is split and with so many parties splitting the vote, there's every chance the Tory vote will struggle to get anywhere near the number of seats they had in the last parliament. I honestly don't think the LibDems will prop up Tories this time around if the Tories are the biggest party, so it seems the Tories at least will have to match what they did last time. They are under threat in plenty of seats from snp in Scotland. They're under pressure from the LibDems in seats across the south and south west. My real hope is even in a bad election for labour, we will at least have a fucked up parliament that will force another election by Feb or march. Dunno what that might mean for the next brexit deadline. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

For me the biggest comfort is they don't really show how each seat is split and with so many parties splitting the vote, there's every chance the Tory vote will struggle to get anywhere near the number of seats they had in the last parliament. I honestly don't think the LibDems will prop up Tories this time around if the Tories are the biggest party, so it seems the Tories at least will have to match what they did last time. They are under threat in plenty of seats from snp in Scotland. They're under pressure from the LibDems in seats across the south and south west. My real hope is even in a bad election for labour, we will at least have a fucked up parliament that will force another election by Feb or march. Dunno what that might mean for the next brexit deadline. 

Yeah, they'll at least struggle in Scotland and may even face a wipeout here, so they'll have to make that up elsewhere and as you say, the increased pressure from the Lib Dems in the south west could prove decisive. It's the midlands and north east where Labour could be really fucked though.

They're campaigning very hard in my seat, I've never had so many mailshots and leaflets- a Tory canvasser even came round the other night. My wife answered the door and was polite, so at least we didn't get a follow up visit from the police about threatening behaviour...

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think it's inevitable that any outcome will lead to a fucked up parliament until the Brexit Elephant leaves the room. Even then you'll have at least one year, and probably a second of the transition period which could prove a whole lot messier than trying to agree on a Brexit deal in the first place. The country is split big time as far as the electorate goes, it is the same with MP's and it doesn't help when you currently have so many self serving incompetent people on the front benches. 

33 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I think it's inevitable that any outcome will lead to a fucked up parliament until the Brexit Elephant leaves the room. Even then you'll have at least one year, and probably a second of the transition period which could prove a whole lot messier than trying to agree on a Brexit deal in the first place. The country is split big time as far as the electorate goes, it is the same with MP's and it doesn't help when you currently have so many self serving incompetent people on the front benches. 

I think if labour had a different leader they would have a chance of forming a government with the support of the SNP, with or without brexit. The big worry right now though of traditional working class voters in the cities start voting Tory where they have never done before. Once people start doing that for brexit, they'll find it much easier to do down the line. Labour genuinely needs to start fighting back quickly. 

Guest Pistonbroke
22 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think if labour had a different leader they would have a chance of forming a government with the support of the SNP, with or without brexit. The big worry right now though of traditional working class voters in the cities start voting Tory where they have never done before. Once people start doing that for brexit, they'll find it much easier to do down the line. Labour genuinely needs to start fighting back quickly. 

I disagree mate. Many of those voting since Brexit was thrown upon the country probably weren't arsed about politics or voting before that. Many are voting purely as they see it as a protest vote. Once reality kicks in and Tories just carry on being Tories they'll soon change their minds again. I agree that if labour had a different leader that they would be perceived differently with the electorate, but the way politics in the Uk and certain other countries is heading I'm sure that any other leader would soon be fitted up by the right wing media and the rich who are shit scared of a more left or liberal leading Government. Modern day politics is just based on lies and the likeability of some buffoon like Trump or Johnson who offer hope to like minded buffoons. 

The older generations will die out though, those replacing them won't be quite as bad, and more importantly the voters of the future seem a lot more self aware about things. Like everything, it works in cycles, so the World might have to suffer a bit more before change comes about. With the problems mankind face it could be too late though. 

11 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

So, as I was saying... 

I've just had a look through her timeline. Its horrible if what she is saying is true that she has had to go through so much anti-semitism. This whole anti-semitic thing.... Ive lived in the North and the South (Including a year in London) and also been in the forces yet I haven't heard hardly any anti-semtisim in my life. Ive heard and seen racism, sexist bastards and homophobes but anti-semitism just hasn't been there at all really? Save the odd shit joke about them being tight which is maybe 1 for every hundred I hear about scousers being thieves. According to a lot of people on twitter the likes of Rachel Riley and this lady (Who I genuinely sympathies with if she is being truthful about the extremes) will have you believe it is a nationwide problem worse than racism. I'm sure someone who is Jewish will be far more exposed to it but is it really on the level it is being claimed? 

I mean, is this "anti-semitic as fuck" ?

If this is being classed as "anti-semitic as fuck" then I seriously question the severity of the 'problem' and wonder if this is something that has been engineered over time to keep Corbyn down because of his idea of a fairer Britain. 

I am not saying anti-semitism doesn't exist, I am just asking is it as bad (Of course even one instance of anti-semitism is bad) as is being made out by people who seem to throw the anti-semitic accusation at people simply for disagreeing with them. 

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If he really was unaware that Shylock is Jewish, then he's too thick to stand in any election. 

I’m not overly familiar with the work of Shakespeare other than the obvious ones... pretty shocking how anti-semitic he was.

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I’m not overly familiar with the work of Shakespeare other than the obvious ones... pretty shocking how anti-semitic he was.

He was confronted about his blatant anti-semitic writings and he responded with "much a jew about nothing" 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I disagree mate. Many of those voting since Brexit was thrown upon the country probably weren't arsed about politics or voting before that. Many are voting purely as they see it as a protest vote. Once reality kicks in and Tories just carry on being Tories they'll soon change their minds again. I agree that if labour had a different leader that they would be perceived differently with the electorate, but the way politics in the Uk and certain other countries is heading I'm sure that any other leader would soon be fitted up by the right wing media and the rich who are shit scared of a more left or liberal leading Government. Modern day politics is just based on lies and the likeability of some buffoon like Trump or Johnson who offer hope to like minded buffoons. 

The older generations will die out though, those replacing them won't be quite as bad, and more importantly the voters of the future seem a lot more self aware about things. Like everything, it works in cycles, so the World might have to suffer a bit more before change comes about. With the problems mankind face it could be too late though. 

I think just like in the US where the white working class vote has rallied around trump and nationalism, brexit has done the same here with farage and Johnson's aim is to go after these people. Then the problem is with modern media, they just shoot out sound bites telling people things have never been better despite the realities and for some reason, people just lap it up. Then they dress the left up as almost a vote against the nation. I just think too many people are too lazy to understand more than a sound bite. 

As for people dieing off... I think sadly lots of people go more right wing and less tolerant as they get older. There's every reason to suspect there's a new generation of Tory oldies getting made right now. 

This Dan Carden "scoop" is shudderingly frightening. In the absence of a video or audio clip, we're in a very dangerous place where somebody can be branded antisemitic based on an unsubstantiated allegation alone and it's then, somewhat perversely, their task to refute the claim, rather than for the person making the allegation to substantiate it with evidence. 

In any event, while substituting Jude for "Jews" is a bit daft, is it really antisemitic? Which part of the IHRA definition does it fall foul of?