You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

What programme was that aired on ?

Not sure. It looks like the presenter of the Daily Politics, I think it's called. 

No doubt we'll have the customary BBC staff mass Tweet-a-thon telling the nasty lefties how nasty they are for having concerns that a political correspondent is biased and may have broken the law and that these concerns amount to "bullying" of the "diligent and professional" Laura K. 

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

ELhEpCwWkAEnZfs?format=jpg&name=large

Was looking for that, saw it on twitter then couldn't remember where it was, or it went as a load more tweets entered a hashtag. It's the section above what I pasted (mine was 66a), looks like Evolve Politics should've put that instead too.

Does anyone know what the fuck a "postal vote opening session" is and why they have them? Is it just to organise ballots before counting?

edit : nevermind, seems that it is just to sort them before counting. They have to be kept face down though so I can't see how Kuntssberg hasn't broken some law there.

2 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I just want this to be all over so I can go back to abusing Trump on twitter full time. This election has distracted me from abusing the walking turnip. 

I'm wanting to get back to #fridgegate, Kuntssberg and this postal vote BS is just a distraction from that I think.

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think they only deal with party financing issues. If an electoral crime has potentially been committed, I think that the complaint needs to be made to the police. 

Yeah, just read that. There are plenty of people copying the Met and North Yorks police in. Nothing will happen of course...

4 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Spot on article. This bit in particular. 

Johnson behaviour in this campaign has been more akin to a frightened little child than a national leader. He refused to do an interview with Andrew Neil. He refused to do an interview with Julie Etchingham. This morning he ran away and hid in a fridge when approached by a journalist from Good Morning Britain.

And you can see why. Because when the light is on him, and you can see the reality of the man, something profoundly ugly is revealed. It goes beyond the obvious self-interest. There is something hateful melching around in there, a sense that he doesn't even really like or value the people he wishes to govern.

There were two really central moments to this campaign. The first came after the terror attack in London Bridge. The people that died worked on penal reform. The father of one of the victims, Dave Merritt, urged the prime minister not to politicise the killings and specifically not to politicise them in the precise opposite manner to the values his son had espoused.

Johnson ignored him and did it anyway. There was not a trace of reservation in him when he did it, as he sat on the Andrew Mar show on a Sunday morning. Not even an element of gravitas or restraint. He didn't care. The death of an idealistic young man and woman were simply something he could use.

The second moment came this week, when he was shown a photo of a young child on the floor of a hospital because of lack of beds. His reaction was telling in a way that a thousand in-depth interviews could not have provided. He refused to look at it, he ignored the questions, he took the phone the image was on and put it in his pocket. Here was someone without any capacity for empathy at all. Here was someone who simply didn't care.

The Tory response to that story was to make up more lies, this time about Labour campaigners punching people. And then the lies started on social media too, bots and anonymous accounts spreading disinformation claiming the photo was fake, churning it out on Twitter and local Facebook groups, eagerly taken up by the small army of professional trollers masquerading as journalists on the right.

Were they created by the Tories or by someone else? Which was more troubling? It was hard to tell. There a sense of the abyss opening up beneath us, of a world where truth was starting to properly vanish altogether, where nothing could be verified without someone working to discredit it.

A cesspit of lies and division. A complete lack of interest in the actual lives of the people whose votes they ask for. That's what we have three years after the referendum result. That's the culture which Remain has been fighting.

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Surely you can't threaten the general public, not to mention Nessie, like this? 

Ruth Davidson: I’ll skinny dip in Loch Ness if the SNP win 50 seats

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18093584.ruth-davidson-skinny-dip-loch-ness-snp-win-50-seats/?ref=ebmpn

Nessie is currently seeking psychiatric help and a new home.