You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

A comment from the guardian

No journalists going to mention that £129 billion was left completely uncosted?

The costings document only does the sums for additional announcements made in the manifesto.

It doesn't include things announced before?

For example:

The 20,000 new police officers pledge?

£33.9bn a year extra for the NHS a year by 2023-24 and an extra £1bn a year for social care?

£750m to recruit 6,000 police officers in 2019/20 - plus however much it costs to recruit the other 14,000?

£13bn for six hospital upgrades/builds and 'seed funding' for another 14 to be upgraded/built over the next decade?

£14bn for schools?

£2.2bn for the armed forces?

£100bn for infrastructure, including rail upgrades?

That's a huge amount of spending over the next four years that isn't included in the shopping list for this manifesto.

It's £129bn of one-off spending in the list above alone?

6 bits of bad news buried in the small print of the Tory manifesto

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-general-election-manifesto-6-20952155#ICID=Android_TMNewsApp_AppShare

11 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The opening lines of a piece on the Tory manifesto launch, earlier today. 

"Compared to the Labour manifesto, Boris Johnson's plan for the country is a shopping list of promises, not an encyclopaedia of ambitions."

CCHQ? 

The Spectator? 

The Telegraph? 

Nope. It's the good old BBC! 

11 hours ago, Brownie said:

Laura Kuenssberg of course.

It also said, “Vote to leave the EU at speed, and enact the 2016 referendum, or choose Labour to push for another big national ballot”.

Just take a second to let that sink in. You’d expect that line from a Tory politician or something, not a BBC journalist.

They are taking the piss out of us and laughing in our faces.

I took it to mean the Tory manifesto is a list of election promises within the "status quo", whilst Labour is after much more comprehensive societal change, which is what they are saying themselves.

The Brexit comment is fairly accurate analytical observation, if this is your main issue, there is little reason to vote for Labour or any of the openly remain parties, because Labour will offer you to choose between their deal and remain, and you presumably already voted to leave. That's why Tories treat it as a main issue, whilst Labour buried it toward the end of the manifesto.

18 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I was out canvassing for a couple of hours myself this morning. One fella told me he always used to be a Labour voter but he’s not anymore. I asked why and he said that he used to work as a HGV driver going between all the abattoirs in the wider area but the government (bastards) closed them all in 1987. 

Nineteen eighty seven. For fuck sake. Can’t vote for Labour this year because his industry was decimated while Thatcher was the Prime Minister 30 years ago. Oh, and there’s a pothole at the end of his road. I’m not sure if or how exactly this pothole is Corbyn’s fault because I didn’t think it was a good use of my time to hang around and ask. 

It's people like that which need to have their faces marked by a hot poker, to give warning to people not to trust them with the most basic of tasks, or waste your time seeking their opinions. 

14 hours ago, Jenson said:

Turnout will decide this election, especially of the under 25s.

All the polls are weighted with the assumption that the young don’t vote. If they do, and in big numbers, the polls will be turned on their heads.

Fingers crossed that the number of new registrations since the call of the election means that might just happen.

There needs to be a strong week before the election where it's made clear to young voters that THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE YOU GET TO GROW UP WITH A FREE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM, AND JOBS.

Once the Tories are in a majority, all bets are off, electoral boundary reform, BBC fully kompromat, unions and strikes outlawed fully, etc. 

That's the key.  Make this time-sensitive.  You have one go at this, right now. 

Would also like to see tactical voting advice being doled out on the streets leading upto each polling station in marginals.  Can be a car-parked on he street with a sign in the window, that'll do. 

• Upvote 3

I’ve been too depressed to watch or post much on the election. It’s looks a rail crash for Labour due to some part their unwillingness to have a grown up dialogue with the other opposition parties and Corbyn’s unwillingness to attack the Tories on corruption and lies . The abuse of the media and public bodies in general has been shocking . For example I heard postal ballots were being sent with a letter from BJ setting out his aims ! We have the BBC doctoring news and lie after lie going unchallenged .

i said at time Corbin should have taken over in Parliament and bent over backwards to form a coalition to oversee this election. Too late now baring miracles. I am seriously looking to move

4 hours ago, SasaS said:

I took it to mean the Tory manifesto is a list of election promises within the "status quo", whilst Labour is after much more comprehensive societal change, which is what they are saying themselves.

The Brexit comment is fairly accurate analytical observation, if this is your main issue, there is little reason to vote for Labour or any of the openly remain parties, because Labour will offer you to choose between their deal and remain, and you presumably already voted to leave. That's why Tories treat it as a main issue, whilst Labour buried it toward the end of the manifesto.

The Brexit comment is accurate?! It’s completely misleading and falls in line with the Tory slogan of “Get Brexit Done”.

Most people realise that leaving the EU in January is just the start of a long, protracted period of negotiation and uncertainty, probably culminating in leaving on WTO terms.

Using the word “speed” is completely misleading. And then of course words such as “another” and “big” are used to describe Labour’s position. They are not used to insinuate anything positive.

The vast majority of people reading that will equate the Tories approach as being a quick end to the whole mess whereas Labour’s will drag it out further.

You’re the only person i’ve seen who has interpreted it in the way you described.

25 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The Brexit comment is accurate?! It’s completely misleading and falls in line with the Tory slogan of “Get Brexit Done”.

Most people realise that leaving the EU in January is just the start of a long, protracted period of negotiation and uncertainty, probably culminating in leaving on WTO terms.

Using the word “speed” is completely misleading. And then of course words such as “another” and “big” are used to describe Labour’s position. They are not used to insinuate anything positive.

The vast majority of people reading that will equate the Tories approach as being a quick end to the whole mess whereas Labour’s will drag it out further.

You’re the only person i’ve seen who has interpreted it in the way you described.

"That is the clear difference between the two big parties this time.

Vote to leave the EU at speed, and enact the 2016 referendum, or choose Labour to push for another big national ballot, and plump for the chance to stay."

I read it again and, sorry, I cannot see what is wrong with this. If you want to leave the EU as soon as possible and this is the main political issue at this election for you, you would vote Conservatives, not Labour. If you are looklng for a chance to avoid Brexit, you would vote Labour not Conservatives, hoping that the next deal negotiated will be rejected at the second referendum. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

No point in arguing semantics about a 'quick' Brexit.

The politicians know what they mean.  The poorly educated boomers don't grasp it. 

We're obviously presuming that people voted to Leave because of the bright future promised to them.  In their minds, the moment we leave will be marked by a huge firework display across the country, people staggering pissed out of bars serving £1 drinks all night, and you go to the cashpoint and see your balance has doubled, and then Jet from Gladiators does a handstand and rubs her minge in your face.

The problem for the Tories is what happens in the weeks and months following Brexit, when nothing happens, and it all feels a bit like it did before, except there's not as much money in your account, the NHS is short of 100,000 staff, and crime is on the rise. 

Then, one day, the Daily Mail leads with "We didn't vote for this".

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

It won’t though. It will blame minorities, local councils, the poor and single mothers. They always find a scapegoat 

They'll still be blaming the EU until any transition period is sorted, and probably beyond that. Then they'll turn on those you mention.

32 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

No point in arguing semantics about a 'quick' Brexit.

The politicians know what they mean.  The poorly educated boomers don't grasp it. 

We're obviously presuming that people voted to Leave because of the bright future promised to them.  In their minds, the moment we leave will be marked by a huge firework display across the country, people staggering pissed out of bars serving £1 drinks all night, and you go to the cashpoint and see your balance has doubled, and then Jet from Gladiators does a handstand and rubs her minge in your face.

The problem for the Tories is what happens in the weeks and months following Brexit, when nothing happens, and it all feels a bit like it did before, except there's not as much money in your account, the NHS is short of 100,000 staff, and crime is on the rise. 

Then, one day, the Daily Mail leads with "We didn't vote for this".

22 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

It won’t though. It will blame minorities, local councils, the poor and single mothers. They always find a scapegoat 

It will give them the reason they want to continue with slash and burn despite not wanting too, just like 2010. 

They will obviously blame the EU for giving them a terrible deal, despite saying how great it was, and then Labour and M.P.s for tying their hands by taking no deal off the table. 

Cunts every single one of them. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m not sure what’s funnier about that clip - that he did it? That he got caught doing it? Or that he thought it was a good idea to use Steve....

That slight choking noise he makes when Steve goes off piste and adds a bit of unplanned extra to his cuntiness.

Didn’t even realise Iannucci had started writing more episodes, let alone casting Lee Froch.