Quantcast
General Election 2019 - Page 111 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

General Election 2019

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

  1. 1. Who are you voting for?



Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I agree with your comment on May, the last few weeks of their campaign in 2017 definitely helped Labour, especially with undecided voters. The Tories strategy is to keep a low profile, clearly because of what happened with that campaign.

 

Brexit was there in 2017 but it wasn't a comparable situation to now, in terms of a deal being negotiated etc. That is completely different for me.

 

As I say, i'm of the view that the Tories will get a majority because they have outflanked Labour in terms of strategy rather than it all being down to Corbyn.

I'm not sure it is too much different to last time except for public exhaustion of wanting Brexit over and Johnson has fooled people to he has the keys to that, despite all we're doing is entering the hard phase. But it's labours failure to expose this is just the start is allowing him to beat that drum successfully. 

 

I don't think the Tories have been smart tactically. In the last election they went for that strong and stable soundbite or whatever it was and this time it's get Brexit done. They offer nothing else. But the issue is labour have nothing to compete with that, because the majority of the electorate don't care if Corbyn has a soundbite or not, they're not voting for him. 

15 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yes they lost, but it's not a game of football mate with a binary result. If the Tories really "won" then why are we having another election now?

 

Because simply getting more votes isn't what FPTP post is about. You can't compare it to a competition with a binary choice.

 

A referendum is a binary choice, so I assume you now accept that Brexit has to happen because Remain "lost".

Well it is as simple as winning or not. The reason they're having another election now is because Johnson thinks he can piss it. If he was behind in the polls, he'd not have kicked 20 "one nation" Tories out of his party and removed the whip, he'd have not taken a Brexit deal that alienated the dup. But he thinks going to the polls makes his position stronger, so he is. May thought the same, but she was a failure to voters. Johnson showed by winning 2 terms of London major in a labour city, he is a vote winner - I don't know what he has the electorate embrace as I think he's an odious cunt, but it's clear he appeals. Like it or not, Tony Blair had that too and so did Thatcher. It wasn't about policies, they just had what middle England wanted in a leader. Sadly, Johnson fits the bill or does more so than Corbyn. 

 

My whole point about not caring 12.8m people voted labour last time is exactly because of FPTP. How many votes you won doesn't matter, it's where you win them. That is labours challenge after being almost wiped out in Scotland, it's about winning middle England and not losing its core base in doing so. Corbyn doesn't appeal to middle England and Brexit is making him wobble in traditional heartlands like the north east. We would have different options and parties if we didn't have FPTP, but we do, so we have to make the best of it. Right now I don't believe labour is electable and a large part of that is down to Corbyn. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

A large percent of the electorate don't trust the Tories and believe that Johnson is a liar, especially when it comes to the NHS. Many are worried about Workers Rights and yet they are still prepared to vote for them for no other reason than they want Brexit to happen. 

 

 "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices." - George Orwell.

I don't think it is just brexit. I think lots don't trust either, be that on the Tories selling off the NHS and embracing austerity or labours ability to pay for their plans. The Tories are seen as the best of 2 poor choices by more people than labour are. Which is fucking astonishing after 9 years of these cunts and that fat headed scumbag in number 10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

 

I don't think it is just brexit. I think lots don't trust either, be that on the Tories selling off the NHS and embracing austerity or labours ability to pay for their plans. The Tories are seen as the best of 2 poor choices by more people than labour are. Which is fucking astonishing after 9 years of these cunts and that fat headed scumbag in number 10. 

 

I don't agree mate, without Brexit Labour would be ahead in the polls imo, not by as much as some would like or if they had a different leader. The current Tory party is the worst there has been for some time and that is some achievement. I think Brexit is the major factor in them being relevant for the time being. They have overseen Austerity and the dismantling of public services yet the UK national debt has soared. Brexit, the media lies and the likes of that twat Farage have conned a lot of people who were core labour voters. They think they have a major say in changing politics in their country yet they are ensuring that things will quite possibly get a whole lot worse. By the time the penny drops the current lot of twats pushing Brexit will be a whole lot better off and Joe Bloggs will be looking for someone else to blame other than the EU and Jeremy Corbyn.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

 

I don't agree mate, without Brexit Labour would be ahead in the polls imo, not by as much as some would like or if they had a different leader. The current Tory party is the worst there has been for some time and that is some achievement. I think Brexit is the major factor in them being relevant for the time being. They have overseen Austerity and the dismantling of public services yet the UK national debt has soared. Brexit, the media lies and the likes of that twat Farage have conned a lot of people who were core labour voters. They think they have a major say in changing politics in their country yet they are ensuring that things will quite possibly get a whole lot worse. By the time the penny drops the current lot of twats pushing Brexit will be a whole lot better off and Joe Bloggs will be looking for someone else to blame other than the EU and Jeremy Corbyn.  

So I agree with a lot of what you say. But honestly, do you not think labour have contributed to their own downfall on Brexit? Corbyn has tried to take a no man's land stance, certainly since post the referendum, but nobody quite believed him during the referendum as he was seen as Eurosceptic. His position for 3 years has been at odds with the party and I think this is still playing out today and everyone can see it. So which votes does he win when Brexit is the primary motivation, either leave or remain? I think neither. Labour have 100% contributed to their own down fall over the last 3 years and 9 years of an austerity government. If you want to blame farage, fine. I prefer to look for the answers closer to home and I think there has been a distinct lack of leadership on Brexit and a complete failing on holding the government to account on their damaging austerity programme. Not to be able to beat this Tory government is pretty appalling to me, to be extremely unlikely to even be in a position to form a progressive alliance to keep these cunts out is unforgivable. If the Tories win any sort of majority, Corbyn and McDonnell need to shoulder the responsibility for ensuring labour were unelectable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people are voting purely about Brexit and not even thinking about the 4.5 years that follow. 

It is a con trick by the Tories and people are being played for fools, unfortunately "get it done" seems to override all common sense about the years that follow. 

 

Hopefully when this is pointed out to people they will see through the con, that is why the activists out door knocking is so important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So I agree with a lot of what you say. But honestly, do you not think labour have contributed to their own downfall on Brexit? Corbyn has tried to take a no man's land stance, certainly since post the referendum, but nobody quite believed him during the referendum as he was seen as Eurosceptic. His position for 3 years has been at odds with the party and I think this is still playing out today and everyone can see it. So which votes does he win when Brexit is the primary motivation, either leave or remain? I think neither. Labour have 100% contributed to their own down fall over the last 3 years and 9 years of an austerity government. If you want to blame farage, fine. I prefer to look for the answers closer to home and I think there has been a distinct lack of leadership on Brexit and a complete failing on holding the government to account on their damaging austerity programme. Not to be able to beat this Tory government is pretty appalling to me, to be extremely unlikely to even be in a position to form a progressive alliance to keep these cunts out is unforgivable. If the Tories win any sort of majority, Corbyn and McDonnell need to shoulder the responsibility for ensuring labour were unelectable. 

 

Brexit going on and on and on certainly hasn't helped. The Tories have somehow convinced a lot of voters that they are the party to get it done despite being split throughout the whole process. They are now turning it into a vote winner as they use Johnson to bang on about it, as if it is what they wanted all along. Quite clearly they are the party which will profit the most off the back of Brexit, without it they'd be pretty much flapping. Hence all the crap about 'Let's get this done' 'Let's make Britain great again' etc. They also seem to have fooled a lot of people by promising to rebuild public services, despite it being those cunts who cut them to the bone. They quite possibly may invest heavily in the Armed forces and the Police as other services are ignored after an election. mainly because when Brexit is done and dusted and the reality kicks in the Worm will quite literally turn.

On labour. The fact Brexit has gone on and on seems to have damaged them more, they've certainly played their own part and If they could have envisaged the total time wasted on Brexit they might have had a different approach, we'll never know. Corbyn has been constantly attacked by the Media and it has certainly been an organised effort by those who pull the strings. Even without Brexit this would have gone on. I'm not sure if any other prospective leader would have handled things any better, plenty would have crumbled. It's shocking that modern day politics is being viewed as a popularity contest between leaders of the various parties and not the core beliefs, manifestos and policies. It's just playing into the Medias hands, the media who just push out pathetic lies in order to keep the status quo for the rich people who back them. 

Another five years of Tory Gov't doesn't sound good, especially when the important stuff post Brexit needs dealing with. That transition period and sorting out actual deals could be a whole lot trickier to negotiate and you'll have a Man Child and a bunch of cunts looking after your destiny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aventus said:

Your doom-mongering of last season ended with number 6.

 

Hopefully you can have the same effect now you've moved into politics. 


With respect, I needed a squad of players to surpass my expectations then, this needs about  three million people to come to their senses and switch their vote. There’s less than no chance of it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But people who don’t like Corbyn or his policies have been told to fuck off.  

Just as well the remain campaign haven't spent the last couple of years blaming Russia and calling Brexit voters stupid eh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a bit of a coincidence of the electorate voting for parties who want to deliver or facilitate Brexit. I mean at some stage instead of pointing fingers at Corbyn people might want to consider that it wasn't such a wise idea to hinge plans for overturning the vote on hoping old people die off. It is clearly a Tory issue and the evidence is on the remain side but just imagine if the Peoples vote campaign and the Lib Dems had worked with Labour the country would be in a far better position. Too many on here view this solely from the remain angle when we know there is strong strong evidence that constituency results make the gap way bigger than 52-48.

 

Labour have tried to bring people together where many others have added to the polarisation sadly. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

The one thing about some of these polls, is every other trick in the establishment book is being used to help Johnson along, and as we know voter apathy is just one of them.

 

If a single left-leaning person looks at highly negative projected polls and thinks their vote won’t matter anyway so they stay home, all the better in some quarters. Let alone if it has a wider effect.


Everyone across the country who wants to see real change still needs to turn up and give these awful cunts a run for their money and then come what may when the votes are all counted.

100% this. Political polls are designed to influence people, that’s literally it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the doom mongers in here. I hope you’re not talking to people about this in the outside world. Talk about winning over hearts and minds, fuck me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a few have said, Polls these days are nothing more than a tool used in an attempt to persuade a certain section of the public to vote for the party they want to portray as the winning side. Be a part of the winning side mentality, bugger what is at stake for many. Oh how they'd rejoice in being on the winning side, raise a glass or two to a party you have little in common with apart from the obvious button they are pushing, then awake the next morning with a hangover and the realisation your life hasn't taken a turn for the better and you are indeed still maxed out on your wannabe middle class credit cards and in financial worry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:


With respect, I needed a squad of players to surpass my expectations then, this needs about  three million people to come to their senses and switch their vote. There’s less than no chance of it happening.

 

Am going to guess it's not that bad if Paul Mason is saying it's only 150k. Even if he's wrong and it's a bigger number it might be a lot less than millions and we have weeks to go.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brave of Boris and the Tories making their manifesto pledge on a Sunday in Telford. 

 

 

Fucking disgrace they are allowed to be so brazenly cuntish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

 

Am going to guess it's not that bad if Paul Mason is saying it's only 150k. Even if he's wrong and it's a bigger number it might be a lot less than millions and we have weeks to go.

 

 

I think in 2017 wasn't it a difference of around 3000 votes that prevented either Labour from being the largest party or being able to form a coalition against the Tories. There were another 200k registrations in the past week I believe. That's why these polls can't be fully trusted apart from maybe registering a trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, skend04 said:

I think in 2017 wasn't it a difference of around 3000 votes that prevented either Labour from being the largest party or being able to form a coalition against the Tories. There were another 200k registrations in the past week I believe. That's why these polls can't be fully trusted apart from maybe registering a trend.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/24/first-time-voters-hold-key-in-56-marginals-analysis-intergenerational-foundation

 

Around 670K, 200K alone registered on Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't got a clue what's going on in this election

The Polls suggest the Tories are all but home & dry but that's not the feeling I get talking to people and social media

Feels almost like Trump winning... there's something going on under the surface not being picked up by the Pollsters. Of course, that very well might be wishful thinking

Swinson's been a disaster which has surprised me. Corbyn has been pretty good. I'm not his biggest fan and I think he's got it badly wrong over Brexit but he does appeal to the youngsters, let's hope they vote in numbers

Johnston is a cunt and incompetent but the oldies love him... I think there's still they still love a Toff quoting Latin, doff the cap tug the forelock type thing and there's Brexit which they also love

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I haven't got a clue what's going on in this election

The Polls suggest the Tories are all but home & dry but that's not the feeling I get talking to people and social media

Feels almost like Trump winning... there's something going on under the surface not being picked up by the Pollsters. Of course, that very well might be wishful thinking

Swinson's been a disaster which has surprised me. Corbyn has been pretty good. I'm not his biggest fan and I think he's got it badly wrong over Brexit but he does appeal to the youngsters, let's hope they vote in numbers

Johnston is a cunt and incompetent but the oldies love him... I think there's still they still love a Toff quoting Latin, doff the cap tug the forelock type thing and there's Brexit which they also love

He definitely has some gussets frothing for the first time since VE night.

 

Agree with the general sentiment that it seems a strange campaign with a lot of unusual backdrops to a lot of constituencies. One of the things I am hanging my hat on is that Johnson has to get an absolute majority as every other party think he is a cunt , whereas Labour could feasibly get into power with a few more seats than they got last time if SNP wipe Scotland's clock ( 650 seats less the Sinn Fein and speaker = 642 , so 322 seats needed ) and this is without Greens / PC , and presumably LD's would back or at least abstain on stuff they basically agree with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moof said:

All of the doom mongers in here. I hope you’re not talking to people about this in the outside world. Talk about winning over hearts and minds, fuck me 

I’m not sure the blame for this one lays at the feet of TLW’s disappointed constituents, mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m not sure the blame for this one lays at the feet of TLW’s disappointed constituents, mate. 

Every single person can impact this election. Seats can be won and lost on a couple of votes. If you’re convinced by some pessimistic nobhead in your life that it’s all pointless and perpetual Tory rule and Corbyn is a cunt etc etc that may be the difference between casting your vote or not. 
 

it all matters. I genuinely, honestly hope people predicting utmost doom on here are not talking to people like that in real life. Some of you lot are going to convince more people to book a trip with dignitas than vote Labour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×