You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

That’s a worry I share mate but having said that, a recent poll released some weighting information behind it and that showed that they expect the turnout to drop amongst younger voters and to increase amongst older voters.

If turnout was in line with 2017, that particular poll halfed the Tory lead.

Yeah, saw that. It was a bizarre weighting- historic lows amongst voters under 50, and 90% turn out for over 65s. I'm assuming it was based on a 'likely to vote' response, but it just looked weird.

• Like 1

The one thing about some of these polls, is every other trick in the establishment book is being used to help Johnson along, and as we know voter apathy is just one of them.

If a single left-leaning person looks at highly negative projected polls and thinks their vote won’t matter anyway so they stay home, all the better in some quarters. Let alone if it has a wider effect.

Everyone across the country who wants to see real change still needs to turn up and give these awful cunts a run for their money and then come what may when the votes are all counted.

• Upvote 2

These polls seem a bit iffy to me. No doubt the Tories are leading but it seems that they're bigger recipients of a redistribution of Brexit Party votes when the Brexit Party is still standing in 250 odd seats. I've not seen any mention of how this affects the polling. 

Having said that, the country is chock full of twats and the lead is likely bigger than shown. Cunts 

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

Dunno- I don't think YouGov are biased, they'd have been found out before now if they were. The poll leads the Tories are getting are just too big to be explained away by poor methodology. I really wouldn't pin your hopes on there being some miraculously large unpolled Labour support, this is starting to feel like an '80s election now with Labour just unable to get any traction.

Having said that, I'd be delighted to come back to this post in a few weeks and call myself a daft cunt. Hope springs eternal...

Surely the pollsters have learnt something from last time? I struggle to believe they're just copying their previous methodology. Ultimately they need papers etc to pay for these polls and if they continue to be massively wrong, people will use ones that are not. 

8 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

The one thing about some of these polls, is every other trick in the establishment book is being used to help Johnson along, and as we know voter apathy is just one of them.

If a single left-leaning person looks at highly negative projected polls and thinks their vote won’t matter anyway so they stay home, all the better in some quarters. Let alone if it has a wider effect.

Everyone across the country who wants to see real change still needs to turn up and give these awful cunts a run for their money and then come what may when the votes are all counted.

Here's the problem imo. Corbyn has failed to keep the centre left onside. Corbyn's supporters will go out and vote labour. He'll lose a few votes to Brexit and the centre left people will vote elsewhere or not go out and vote. People in the centre won't even consider labour. I think there's a genuine feeling amongst large parts of the electorate that it's anyone but Corbyn and they just don't carry the same fear of Johnson. While I think lots of people are feeling there's no great choices to vote, Johnson is coming through as the best of a bad bunch. I genuinely think we're fucked and as each week passes this is starting to feel like Michael Foot level disaster. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

The good ol bbc. 

If you watched the 10pm news, you'd have thought Johnson pissed it and even handled the question about his racist journalism well. 

I don't think Johnson is coming across as the best of a bad bunch, I think he's been seen as the worst of a bad bunch and the media including the BBC have done their absolute best to protect him but brexiters don't give a fuck they've got a hard on for a hard brexit, the media have spun it not as parliament trying to prevent him from committing economic suicide  but them trying to obstruct the will of the people. 52 percent of a nation where only 37 percent voted and how many of them voted for a no deal at the time. "Will of the people" pisses me off. 

Everyone's pissed off on all sides, the UK is fucked.

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't think Johnson is coming across as the best of a bad bunch, I think he's been seen as the worst of a bad bunch and the media including the BBC have done their absolute best to protect him but brexiters don't give a fuck they've got a hard on for a hard brexit, the media have spun it not as parliament trying to prevent him from committing economic suicide  but them trying to obstruct the will of the people. 52 percent of a nation where only 37 percent voted and how many of them voted for a no deal at the time. "Will of the people" pisses me off. 

Apart from the greedy bastards who'll save 20 notes a week, oblivious to the fact that they'll end up losing out on a lot more in the long run. Ignorance is bliss. 

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

Michael Gove looks like king Kong at some point in the past has gripped his legs and tried to burst him.  With Tories Marr does a half arsed attempt to look like he's interrupting but let's them finish their point anyway. Bonobo headed fuck.

Gove is a liar.

The difference from Marr between that interview and the one with Angela Rayner is unfortunately not shocking. 

Fucking depressing but unsurprising. Even if (when) Brexit turns out to be the clusterfuck most of us are expecting to be the numb cunts in this country won't learn their lesson!

Corbyn is a good man and one of the few politicians I have any trust, even though I'm not a member of his party. I think he's done a fine job trying to drag politics in this country back to the left in the face of overwhelming odds, and the shit he puts up with is disgraceful! Je can resign as Labour leader on 13 December with his head held high for me!

Who will take over from him? Dunno, they'll probably swing back to the right like all the Blairite cunts want!

All those of us in the Greens, those at the Left in Labour, Plaid, SNP, SDLP, Sinn Fein etc can do is keep fighting for the disenfranchised, keep fighting for a green future, and keep at the Tories, Brexshit, BNP, UKIP, and the Libservatives and try to destroy them bit by bit. Keep trying to show the public who vote for these wankers how wrong they are!

We're beaten this time but let's not give up, otherwise the bastards really have won!

• Downvote 1

Conservative policy on Social Care crisis is to have no policy, apparently is about bringing everyone together and not to polarise and be partisan, like some people have accused parties of being during this campaign.

So basically saying Conservatives will "remain neutral" on one of the biggest issues facing the UK in decades. Let's see how this is spun as intelligent grown up politics. 

28 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Surely the pollsters have learnt something from last time? I struggle to believe they're just copying their previous methodology. Ultimately they need papers etc to pay for these polls and if they continue to be massively wrong, people will use ones that are not. 

Here's the problem imo. Corbyn has failed to keep the centre left onside. Corbyn's supporters will go out and vote labour. He'll lose a few votes to Brexit and the centre left people will vote elsewhere or not go out and vote. People in the centre won't even consider labour. I think there's a genuine feeling amongst large parts of the electorate that it's anyone but Corbyn and they just don't carry the same fear of Johnson. While I think lots of people are feeling there's no great choices to vote, Johnson is coming through as the best of a bad bunch. I genuinely think we're fucked and as each week passes this is starting to feel like Michael Foot level disaster. 

If you watched the 10pm news, you'd have thought Johnson pissed it and even handled the question about his racist journalism well. 

I don’t agree with this premature obituary at all. I’m expecting a Tory majority don’t get me wrong but I don’t think it’s about Corbyn, it’s all about Brexit.

Corbyn’s popularity is the same as it was in 2017. The same personal attacks are happening. The same polls are there. Everything is exactly the same apart from Brexit so it’s obvious what the difference is.

I forgot yesterday to mention that the pollsters got 2015 wrong as well. So that’s 2015, Trump, Brexit and 2017 all wrong. You’d have thought they would learn from it but that’s 4 in a row where they didn’t learn.

Hopefully that will extend to 5 (although I think probably not, as I said, because of Brexit).

I know we know this but worth repeating;

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/jeremy-corbyn-is-the-most-smeared-politician-in-history/18/07/

Jeremy Corbyn is the most smeared politician in history

In the UK, one politician has been subject to the longest continuous smear campaign in UK history, and we are all influenced by it. Over 75 per cent of Jeremy Corbyn media coverage factually misrepresents him.

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think that probably depends on you political perspective. I agree the BBC are acting shamelessly, although if you listen to Tory voters they say the BBC let Corbyn off the hook. But Corbyn appeals to nobody but his base. Johnson is a disgusting scum bag, but it would seem he has a personality that attracts people regardless of the shite that comes out of his mouth. You mightn't like that, I don't, but it is a reality. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I think that probably depends on you political perspective. I agree the BBC are acting shamelessly, although if you listen to Tory voters they say the BBC let Corbyn off the hook. But Corbyn appeals to nobody but his base. Johnson is a disgusting scum bag, but it would seem he has a personality that attracts people regardless of the shite that comes out of his mouth. You mightn't like that, I don't, but it is a reality. 

It's true. I'm 100 percent biased against Boris, I genuinely think he's a bad person. In no way is my opinion a neutral measured one. I could not do politics even if I felt like I had the intelligence too as I'm just to emotionally triggered.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Mate, 12.8 million people voted Labour in 2017, 3.5 million more than 2015. Yes there will have been people who voted for them but didn't like Corbyn, whatever the fuck that means, but it's not right to suggest that he only appeals to this particular type of base that you mention.

I had LBC on after both recent debates and some callers switched their vote to Labour based on the debates because they saw a different side to him.

11 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t agree with this premature obituary at all. I’m expecting a Tory majority don’t get me wrong but I don’t think it’s about Corbyn, it’s all about Brexit.

Corbyn’s popularity is the same as it was in 2017. The same personal attacks are happening. The same polls are there. Everything is exactly the same apart from Brexit so it’s obvious what the difference is.

I forgot yesterday to mention that the pollsters got 2015 wrong as well. So that’s 2015, Trump, Brexit and 2017 all wrong. You’d have thought they would learn from it but that’s 4 in a row where they didn’t learn.

Hopefully that will extend to 5 (although I think probably not, as I said, because of Brexit).

I think you have what the difference is now completely wrong. We had Brexit in 2017, we also had May running the worst campaign of all time. For me the hope has been Johnson might run a campaign as bad as she did, but up to now, he has avoided alienating the press and traditional Tory voters, which she managed to do within days of the election campaign. Maybe something will change once they release their manifesto, but up to now their campaign has revolved around "get Brexit done" and "Corbyn is a cunt" and that is playing well with the electorate. 

As for Corbyn's popularity being the same as 2017, I don't know if I agree with that (although I don't know what the polls say). I think he's equally popular with his core base, but May was so poor in the last election, it made Corbyn seem more palatable to those outside his core base. I don't believe he is winning that "best of a bad lot" battle this time around. 

I'm not saying Brexit isn't playing a part, of course it is. Johnson has a clear sound bite, Corbyn doesn't want to talk about brexit. But I think the bigger issue is people just don't see a potential prime minister in Corbyn. People don't want to trust him with either the economy or Brexit. 

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Mate, 12.8 million people voted Labour in 2017, 3.5 million more than 2015. Yes there will have been people who voted for them but didn't like Corbyn, whatever the fuck that means, but it's not right to suggest that he only appeals to this particular type of base that you mention.

I had LBC on after both recent debates and some callers switched their vote to Labour based on the debates because they saw a different side to him.

And labour still lost. I've had this argument on here countless times, it's not a popularity contest. Like it or not, you have to win votes in key seats and get key swing voters in your corner in those seats. Labour didn't do that last time well enough, which is why they lost and it look less likely to do it this. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I think you have what the difference is now completely wrong. We had Brexit in 2017, we also had May running the worst campaign of all time. For me the hope has been Johnson might run a campaign as bad as she did, but up to now, he has avoided alienating the press and traditional Tory voters, which she managed to do within days of the election campaign. Maybe something will change once they release their manifesto, but up to now their campaign has revolved around "get Brexit done" and "Corbyn is a cunt" and that is playing well with the electorate. 

As for Corbyn's popularity being the same as 2017, I don't know if I agree with that (although I don't know what the polls say). I think he's equally popular with his core base, but May was so poor in the last election, it made Corbyn seem more palatable to those outside his core base. I don't believe he is winning that "best of a bad lot" battle this time around. 

I'm not saying Brexit isn't playing a part, of course it is. Johnson has a clear sound bite, Corbyn doesn't want to talk about brexit. But I think the bigger issue is people just don't see a potential prime minister in Corbyn. People don't want to trust him with either the economy or Brexit. 

I agree with your comment on May, the last few weeks of their campaign in 2017 definitely helped Labour, especially with undecided voters. The Tories strategy is to keep a low profile, clearly because of what happened with that campaign.

Brexit was there in 2017 but it wasn't a comparable situation to now, in terms of a deal being negotiated etc. That is completely different for me.

As I say, i'm of the view that the Tories will get a majority because they have outflanked Labour in terms of strategy rather than it all being down to Corbyn.

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

And labour still lost. I've had this argument on here countless times, it's not a popularity contest. Like it or not, you have to win votes in key seats and get key swing voters in your corner in those seats. Labour didn't do that last time well enough, which is why they lost and it look less likely to do it this. 

Yes they lost, but it's not a game of football mate with a binary result. If the Tories really "won" then why are we having another election now?

Because simply getting more votes isn't what FPTP post is about. You can't compare it to a competition with a binary choice.

A referendum is a binary choice, so I assume you now accept that Brexit has to happen because Remain "lost".

Guest Pistonbroke

A large percent of the electorate don't trust the Tories and believe that Johnson is a liar, especially when it comes to the NHS. Many are worried about Workers Rights and yet they are still prepared to vote for them for no other reason than they want Brexit to happen. 

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices." - George Orwell.