You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

33 minutes ago, mattyq said:

All this, 'The people are fucking morons' stuff is just embarrassing 

We lost and we lost badly... it's counter productive and stupid to blame the electorate . Labour are to blame for losing. We need to face up to this, accept it and then work out how we can do better next time.

I'm fucking gutted... thought it'd be a hung Parliament but, no, we got mullered

Correct. You can't abolish the people and elect a new one. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

Katie Hopkins' Twitter feed is a microcosm of what's going to happen in the next few years. It's genuinely scary and upsetting.

Jesus. If I was Khan I’d be asking the Met for some extra security. Judging by the quality of human being on that feed she’s put a target on his back.

The absolute state of this....

largely economically insulated traditional Tory voters are always going to be that way, with arm round the dinner plate- it's the jackboot licking, loving, blue, appropriately, collar scabs that have done the damage. as they have done in the past. they'll be getting it because most of them are a couple of pay packets away from oblivion if they have an employer, are quite often in debt up to the eyeballs and have delusions of grandeur and unrealistic expectations.

combination of fear, subservience and cowardice. based on previous observation in the work place.

you've just got rise to above it, comrades and take charge of your own destiny at all times as ethically as you can. no politician is ever there to do you any real favours in your life.

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

All this, 'The people are fucking morons' stuff is just embarrassing 

We lost and we lost badly... it's counter productive and stupid to blame the electorate . Labour are to blame for losing. We need to face up to this, accept it and then work out how we can do better next time.

I'm fucking gutted... thought it'd be a hung Parliament but, no, we got mullered

I agree. The electorate is all we have to work with for better or for worse. I witnessed it after the referendum too. Too many people happily dismissed the views of those leave voters, without trying to listen and understand them. I’ve maintained all along that Labour should’ve been firm with their stance in respecting the result of the referendum, and put all energy and focus on minimising the damage of Brexit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I agree. The electorate is all we have to work with. I witnessed it after the referendum too. Too many people happily dismissed the views of those leave voters, without trying to listen and understand them.

Its hard when they don't even understand themselves. 

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its hard when they don't even understand themselves. 

For the people living in these ‘Red Wall’ electorates Remain represents status quo and Leave means change. As people keep saying a lot of these are struggling people with very little to look forward to, so *anything* seems better than the status quo. Labour’s biggest mistake in my honest opinion, was to let the Tories have full ownership of Brexit. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I agree. The electorate is all we have to work with for better or for worse. I witnessed it after the referendum too. Too many people happily dismissed the views of those leave voters, without trying to listen and understand them. I’ve maintained all along that Labour should’ve been firm with their stance in respecting the result of the referendum, and put all energy and focus on minimising the damage of Brexit.

They might have prevented what happened in the North last night by doing that but they would have been punished on the remain side instead, in London for instance.

The problem Labour have is that on the biggest issue of the day, their support is split.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

For the people living in these ‘Red Wall’ electorates Remain represents status quo and Leave means change. As people keep saying a lot of these are struggling people with very little to look forward to, so *anything* seems better than the status quo. Labour’s biggest mistake in my honest opinion, was to let the Tories have full ownership of Brexit. 

They didn't have any choice. May deliberately went alone with the negotiations and excluded all other parties.

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

They might have prevented what happened in the North last night by doing that but they would have been punished on the remain side instead, in London for instance.

The problem Labour have is that on the biggest issue of the day, their support is split.

You could argue that Labour needs to stop trying to be all things to all men, that it can't claim to be the party of Remain when talking to middle-class metropolitan lefties but also a pro-Brexit party when it's talking to the white working class in the north.

If the Conservatives were evenly split on the Brexit issue, would they have won as many seats as they did?

Did remain Conservative voters decide that the party was more important than voting remain? 

Wasn't that what the Lib Dems were banking on? That Con remainers would vote for them instead? Did that happen?

How did those of the 30 who were banished for voting against the government, then re-admitted, do in this election?

Jeremy Corbyn simply never had a message that the country wanted to hear.

I don't think it's out of order to blame the electorate. Everyone must take personal responsibility for their vote.

If someone is working class and thought Brexit more important than the NHS, welfare state & the economy and voted Tory then they deserve to be called on it.

I suppose it's Karma like, since we've spent the last three years laughing at America over Trump.

At least that cunt never won the popular vote.

Yes the split between the old white working class and bourgeois liberals having just about held for years has been stretched beyond breaking point. The identity politics that have become so fashionable among the latter didn't help with the former. The demotion of class theory and class analysis and use of genetic category of person to identify social need really didn't help keep that coalition together. 

The problem is that labour can't just choose which constituency its going to represent; it must somehow make nice with both. It used to be able to bridge that divide, not with much comfort but nonetheless. Labour has to learn to do so again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Im sure privately the Labour stance on Brexit was to remain. Being sane and all. Its been nearly 4 years since the referendum. Despite last nights catastrophic I'm still convinced that a 2nd referendum would have been to remain. I'm sure (and its no badge of honour for Labour voters) that a good few million voters didn't vote Labour for fear of being on the electoral roll. 

Thursday 12th : "We can finally get Brexit done!"

Friday 13th :

Only thoughts giving hope right now :

1) strawhead being so fucking stupid that he'll have to resign over something.

2) that Tories lose so many seats from defections over the coming years that the majority will be gone.

3) that the next Labour leader is someone that people can actually unite around.

4) that Brexit does get fucking "done" so that it doesn't play a big part in screwing over another election in this way. If Labour can get back in after that then we can try and sort out whatever EU/trade issues these idiots have got us into.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Im sure privately the Labour stance on Brexit was to remain. Being sane and all. Its been nearly 4 years since the referendum. Despite last nights catastrophic I'm still convinced that a 2nd referendum would have been to remain. I'm sure (and its no badge of honour for Labour voters) that a good few million voters didn't vote Labour for fear of being on the electoral roll. 

Can I ask you an honest question then Stig? How many votes/elections would it take for you accept that the people of the country actually want to leave the EU? We’ve had three now including the referendum and each time the party/side backing Brexit won. 

• Upvote 1