You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

I’m surprised that people here are laying this at the feet of the Lib Dems. They had every right to contest any single seat they wanted. It’s up to Labour to beat them and anybody else. Labour needs to look inward and sort their own house out, because this was a fucking shambles. I won’t lie, I do get a little smile from seeing Swinson lose her seat, and do so poorly in general, after all the arrogance about how well they are going to do at Labour’s expense. But the truth is this; the Tories won a smashing victory because the opposition wasn’t able to win the seats they needed. They couldn’t convince the media, the public, or many of their own voters that they were a better bet for the country than the Tories. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Not getting a softer brexit through parliament because people certain politicians were holding out for a referendum looks even more suicidal. 

Disastrous hubris in too many places.

There needed to be a more mature acceptance from both Labour and Lib Dems that avoiding the worst case scenario we now face was worth compromising on each’s best case scenario, however much it stuck in the craw.

All done and too late now, but it’s cost both parties and their existing leadership going into this election dearly, not to mention most of the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m surprised that people here are laying this at the feet of the Lib Dems. They had every right to contest any single seat they wanted. It’s up to Labour to beat them and anybody else. Labour needs to look inward and sort their own house out, because this was a fucking shambles. I won’t lie, I do get a little smile from seeing Swinson lose her seat, and do so poorly in general, after all the arrogance about how well they are going to do at Labour’s expense. But the truth is this; the Tories won a smashing victory because the opposition wasn’t able to win the seats they needed. They couldn’t convince the media, the public, or many of their own voters that they were a better bet for the country than the Tories. 

Pretty much this. One crumb of comfort in all this is that Gov will not be reliant on DUP  or of he chooses to take them on the ERG.  On reflection they should have voted for Mays deal (third time it was tried) didn't seem like it at time but so should have more labour MPs.  

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Disastrous hubris in too many places.

There needed to be a more mature acceptance from both Labour and Lib Dems that avoiding the worst case scenario we now face was worth compromising on each’s best case scenario, however much it stuck in the craw.

All done and too late now, but it’s cost both parties and their existing leadership going into this election dearly, not to mention most of the rest of us.

Yip effectively gave the cons an unopposed run at Brexit voters which was 50% of electorate. Massive tactical mistake to not form an effective remain alliance. Some of those con gains were down to hundreds of votes. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They could. It depends how the next 5 years go. They've nowhere to hide, no one else to blame and they've now got to clean up their own mess. 

Oh they will find someone to blame the EU Corbyn anyone but those self serving twats and the majority of the electorate will swallow the shit sandwich they serve up , knobheads 

11 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Yip effectively gave the cons an unopposed run at Brexit voters which was 50% of electorate. Massive tactical mistake to not form an effective remain alliance. Some of those con gains were down to hundreds of votes. 

Exactly. The lesson of the european elections was that Remain and Leave voters were still fairly matched in overall population ratios, but the former was significantly more likely to split between parties in a national election than the latter was. Only made more obvious once Farage stood down in Conservative-held seats.

This really, really fucking sucks. I knew it was coming but I still can’t believe it. Boris Johnson, who is dishonest and inept, has won the biggest majority since Thatcher and has done it off the backs of the working classes that he evidently despises. We are in for a rough few years. 

As for Labour... I’m not sure they are all that relevant anymore. At least in the way they operate. People don’t trust them, working class people don’t seem to feel they represent them, and they can’t manipulate the media or business to the extent they need to. 

It’s a very dark day. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

As for Labour... I’m not sure they are all that relevant anymore. At least in the way they operate. People don’t trust them, working class people don’t seem to feel they represent them, and they can’t manipulate the media or business to the extent they need to. 

It’s a very dark day. 

It was Corbyn they didn't trust, not the party.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Bee said:

How thoroughly fucking depressing. We genuinely talked about emigrating last night.

I don’t think I’ve ever fallen into the ‘I’m leaving if... ‘ trap, but I genuinely feel like it’s something to consider. The union is going to break, too. That’s coming.  

I’m utterly dependant on our NHS, unless I quickly hop to one of the places like Berlin which I am told will honour EU citizenship during the transition period. Not really realistic atm though.

If all else fails, I’ve always wanted to play Michael Douglas in Falling Down for real in my local area and have spent decades selecting my “Who would you kill if you had 6 months left to live” targets.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t think I’ve ever fallen into the ‘I’m leaving if... ‘ trap, but I genuinely feel like it’s something to consider. The union is going to break, too. That’s coming.  

Oh I'm sure, and that's my only hope really, that the Tory infighting over the break up of the Union will be their downfall.  Let's face it, record poverty, homelessness, cruelty, contempt for the working class etc has not dented them, hope has to come from another source. 

13 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Exactly. The lesson of the european elections was that Remain and Leave voters were still fairly matched in overall population ratios, but the former was significantly more likely to split between parties in a national election than the latter was. Only made more obvious once Farage stood down in Conservative-held seats.

Pretty much it. Astounding to watch doing bit of mental maths conservatives 20000 Lab 18000 Lib/Dem 5000 blah blah blah all night marginal after marginal.

Just one point and havent seen maths yet but if you take Lab-lib-snp-greens-sf-sdlp-any other remain party as a vote for remain  then the remain share of  the vote is up on referendum by I think about 2% it was 6am cannot remember figures.