You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

5 minutes ago, clangers said:

He would have positioned the party firmly as remain and aimed to keep as many northern Labour leavers as possible whist going after Tory and Lib Dem remainers in the south. In many ways the reverse of the current Tory strategy.

How do you keep people by doing the exact opposite of what they want to happen?

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Alan Johnson really sticking the boot into Momentum and Lansman on ITV, Osborne pissing himself laughing and Ed Balls sort of nodding along. Looks like the revenge of New Labour.

Thoughts on the Lib Dem performance SD? 

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Explain how the 97 Blair would have won tonight without his pals in The S*n helping him?

Because Johnson is a barely sentient hippo and Blair speaks very, very well. Blair would have had 3 years to convince those leave voting Labour voters it was dumb. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

How do you keep people by doing the exact opposite of what they want to happen?

By being much better at communicating how voting for the Tories were going to fuck them over.  By being much better at communicating hope and competence.  By being much better at controlling and delivering the message.

1997 Blair with these policies would have won easily, in my opinion.

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Because Johnson is a barely sentient hippo and Blair speaks very, very well. Blair would have had 3 years to convince those leave voting Labour voters it was dumb. 

While the media hammers Blair for going against the will of the people, and how he hates democracy. 

I imagine the antisemitism shouts would still be going too. 

Pointless nonentities like Alan 'You can fuck my wife' Johnson and Ed 'My wife's got bigger' Balls are thinking that the red Tories will take over the Labour Party. The membership are still left leaning and will purge the likes of Flint, Kendall, Watson and other Blairite right wingers. Their day has gone.

7 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Don’t be silly. 1997 Blair would have ran absolute rings around this shot show of a Tory government. Energy & verve & optimism is precisely what was needed. Corbyn’s leadership has been Roy Hodgson managing Liverpool levels of farce. There’s some who wanted him in because he wasn’t the status-quo & there’s others that supported him because they love the ‘club’. But it’s been clear as day for years that all he’d eventually succeed doing is in legitimising Tory rule by taking a democratic hammering. And like Hodgson he’s not the kind of man to ever leave of his own accord when it was clear moons ago he & his team were never the people to see the job through.

But how would he convince leavers to remain? I don't think you realise that there is nothing you can say to them?

The Labour party membership backed Corbyn twice, and If he wasn't in charge it would have been a similar candidate, who would have ended up in a similar position.  

Just now, Jose Jones said:

By being much better at communicating how voting for the Tories were going to fuck them over.  By being much better at communicating hope and competence.  By being much better at controlling and delivering the message.

1997 Blair with these policies would have won easily, in my opinion.

I don’t really know what you gain from these fantasy scenarios. 

Just now, moof said:

I don’t really know what you gain from these fantasy scenarios. 

I don't gain anything.  Just having a conversation.

I don't think that Labour's policies are anathema to the public, even though I don't agree with all of them.

I think a better communicator less easily smeared would have won them the election, no matter which way they went on Brexit.