You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fucking Blyth Valley...a former mining town goes Tory...

Fucking brexit has a lot to answer for...

An 8,000 majority turned over.

Staggering.

2 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

Blythe Valley. Have you forgotten Margaret Thatcher? Really!!

Something that is going to have to change is the future is Labour taking these seats for granted just because a hundred years ago they used to dig coal out of the ground there.

Ancient history is not going to be enough to keep these places in the red column.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I think his most costly mistake is not standing up to the pro-remainers in the Labour Party. He should’ve been much more firm in backing Lexit. The focus should’ve always been in minimising the damage of Brexit.

I think his natural character underpinned the Brexit policy. A nice bloke, who doesn't like a ruckus and who tries to keep everybody happy. In hindsight, that might not have worked. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Something that is going to have to change is the future is Labour taking these seats for granted just because a hundred years ago they used to dig coal out of the ground there.

Ancient history is not going to be enough to keep these places in the red column.

Agreed. However i do not think that is the real issue here Stronts. You would have thought that given how these mining areas were treated by the tories, voting for them would have been beyond the pale. Surely any right thinking individual, be they labour , liberal or other would have voted with a conscience? No?

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

1997 Tony Blair would have lost this election tonight. There is nobody in the current Labour party that would have won.

1997 Blair would have won an absolute massive Labour majority.  

2019 Blair wouldn't, but 97 Blair and New Labour would have smashed the Tories to bits.

10 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I'm fortunate enough that I'll probably end up a few quid a month better off in my pay packet in the medium term under the Tories, as I have been over the last few years. Long term who knows.

I'm deeply concerned about the wider affects on society but on a personal level I'm petrified of what happens to the NHS. I cost them £8k+ a year in medication alone for a chronic, lifelong disease. If it goes down the route we fear, opening up the market to the US and raising the price of medicines, then what happens? Does it stop? Do I have to have major surgery with no guarantee that'll be effective or cure my illness? Do I take out expensive private medical insurance? Would insurance even cover an existing condition? I know it's scare mongering but it's feasible and it's scary.

Im genuinely sorry about what you’re about to experience. I mean that. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

1997 Blair would have won an absolute massive Labour majority.  

2019 Blair wouldn't, but 97 Blair and New Labour would have smashed the Tories to bits.

He would have positioned the party firmly as remain and aimed to keep as many northern Labour leavers as possible whist going after Tory and Lib Dem remainers in the south. In many ways the reverse of the current Tory strategy.

14 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

1997 Tony Blair would have lost this election tonight. There is nobody in the current Labour party that would have won.

Don’t be silly. 1997 Blair would have ran absolute rings around this shot show of a Tory government. Energy & verve & optimism is precisely what was needed. Corbyn’s leadership has been Roy Hodgson managing Liverpool levels of farce. There’s some who wanted him in because he wasn’t the status-quo & there’s others that supported him because they love the ‘club’. But it’s been clear as day for years that all he’d eventually succeed doing is in legitimising Tory rule by taking a democratic hammering. And like Hodgson he’s not the kind of man to ever leave of his own accord when it was clear moons ago he & his team were never the people to see the job through.