You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

19 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

There is a separate book on funding. Google  "funding real change" and it is a 40 odd page document that appears at the top of the search.

Thanks, i've had a quick look and the thing that jumps out at me straight away is the intention to scrap Entrepreneurs Relief on capital gains tax. That could cost me at least £35k from my pension fund. Fuck that

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

Thanks, i've had a quick look and the thing that jumps out at me straight away is the intention to scrap Entrepreneurs Relief on capital gains tax. That could cost me at least £35k from my pension fund. Fuck that

Yes, I remember reading they said something like there is no evidence you are using  that money wisely or reinvesting it or doing something that benefits the economy with it.

Just now, SasaS said:

Yes, I remember reading they said something like there is no evidence you are using  that money wisely or reinvesting it or doing something that benefits the economy with it.

Yeah, it pretty much says that. I guess its right as the sale of a business with no intention to start another one isnt aiding investment. But a high level of capital gains tax is a disincentive to buying an asset based business, if improving it to sell it on is taxed heavily.

53 minutes ago, A Red said:

Well there’s an incentive for us to get in....

3 hours ago, A Red said:

I've just had a quick look at Labours manifesto detailing all the expenditure thats going to be made and then the funding page to see how it will be covered. 

As far as I can see its all being paid by -

We will pay for this by creating a fairer taxation system, asking for a little more from those with the broadest shoulders, and making sure that everyone pays what they owe. We will reverse some of the Tories’ cuts to corporation tax while keeping rates lower than in 2010. We’ll ask those who earn more than £80,000 a year to pay a little more income tax, while freezing National Insurance and income tax rates for everyone else.

I guess there will be loads of borrowing but the phrase "create a fairer tax system" could cover a multitude of things. It doesnt exactly help the cause, unless I'm missing something?

They are going after big business, they want to support smaller business. Oh and Rico, they want an extra 30 bob a day off that minge bag as well.

Edited by arthur friedenreich
Typo

58 minutes ago, A Red said:

Vote Tory, then. Like you were already going to do 

• Downvote 1

Cant stand focus groups but worth a read. Rest in the link. 

Undecided voters could swing behind Labour after Boris Johnson’s “cold shouldered” response to a sick boy sleeping on the floor in a hospital’s under-pressure A&E unit, a focus group run by HuffPost UK and Edelman suggests.

Of nine women in the marginal seat of Peterborough, seven said they would back the party of “passionate” and “for the people” Jeremy Corbyn over Johnson, while one was undecided and the other would back the Tories to push through Brexit.   

Every voter raised fears over NHS privatisation when quizzed on Monday night, in a sign Labour’s key “not for sale” campaign message, aimed at highlighting the risks of a US-UK trade deal to the health service, was gaining traction in the final days of the election. 

Childcare help and rising levels of UK poverty were also top priorities for the group, the majority of whom were parents. 

The group had an even split of Leave and Remain backers.

The PM was severely criticised after bizarrely snatching and pocketing the phone of ITV journalist Joe Pike after repeatedly being asked to look at the photo of four-year-old Jack Williment-Barr.

Jack, four, was left to sleep on a pile of coats at Leeds General Hospital because there were no beds. He had suspected pneumonia.

Nicola, an ex-Tory voter and mum who homeschools her children, described Johnson’s behaviour as “arrogant, self-serving” and “disgusting” and said the message he sent to voters was: “I don’t want to see, I don’t care.” 

Joanne, who works at a credit card company, said Johnson was “rude” and “so focused on what he wanted to say he didn’t have any awareness”. 

“He’s a car crash,” Nicola added. “He referred to that child as ‘poor kid’ and ‘his experience’ as nothing more than that.” 

Emma, a part time property developer and a mother, said he should have “just taken two minutes to look and say: ‘This is terrible – this is what I will try and stop.’”

Amy, a part-time waitress and mum of two, said: “If he’s a leader, he should know without being coached or having something written for him. He should know what to do [and say] if he’s that passionate about running the country.” 

Others in the group were equally scathing, questioning: “How can we take him seriously?”

Louise, recruitment consultant, said Johnson was “talking over [reporter Pike] and not listening at all”. 

Ferzana, a mum and council officer, said: “I’ve seen a couple of things like that, where he doesn’t answer the question and just makes an idiot out of himself.”

Nicola said Johnson’s reaction when challenged came across as: “How dare you?”

His behaviour was described as not “very human”. “Every time he is caught off-guard he doesn’t know what to do,” she added.

“He didn’t show any empathy and, in his position, he should at least have tried to portray that. He’s not speaking for people, is he? He’s not getting on their level. He’s basically just repeating himself.” 

Eishrat, a teaching assistant and mum, added: “We need a people’s person, someone that actually speaks to them and engages with people. That’s not engaging. That’s not answering the question. He’s very cold-shouldered.” 

Fazarna added: “He’s very wealthy and he doesn’t understand what the normal person goes through day to day. He’s never suffered or been in that position.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-privatise-nhs-corbyn-peterborough-general-election_uk_5deed5ade4b05d1e8a56b2ef?ncid=other_twitter_cooo9wqtham&utm_campaign=share_twitter

Maybe a hung parliament isn't such a hard thing for us to get when you factor in leavers that would prefer a better deal and a referendum on it, those who can't stand the idea of letting Tories in, and those that will go to vote on election day, look at Tories on the ballot and realise they can't bring themselves to do it. Leavers aren't one monolithic block after all, even though the media might be wanting to put that idea across to help Tories.

It could be that this has been one of the problems all along and why the media + Tories have resorted to so much propaganda throughout.

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Shit, but better. Not sure what YouGov's MRP predicted back in 2017, wasn't it worse than this?

That looks good, especially seeing as it's from YouGov too. So still a good chance to stop them by the looks of it.

edit : actually it doesn't look that good but seeing as it's YouGov I'm hoping they're out by a good number of seats which would bring it really close.

Its the hope that kills you.

Johnson was in my hometown of Burton on Trent today, which suggests that Burton is a lot closer than it should be.

I do think, especially after the Phone snatching debacle, intelligent people will realise that Corbyn is the safer of the two options. The big problem is that its the knuckle draggers that he needs to win over, and I just can't see how Labour can do that?