You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

2 minutes ago, moof said:

Happy to see that from Barnes’ niece(?) or some relation anyway. Was beginning to question reality 

Quite a strange move from him, especially with the backdrop of Windrush. But goes to highlight that above anything else, this is a class war, and obviously he’s picked his side here, and that’s ok... a bit like Didi Hamann... an awesome footballer, but a bit of let down as a human being. 

Just now, viRdjil said:

Quite a strange move from him, especially with the backdrop of Windrush. But goes to highlight that above anything else, this is a class war, and obviously he’s picked his side here, and that’s ok... a bit like Didi Hamann... an awesome footballer, but a bit of let down as a human being. 

Think it’s been debunked mate, the “he’s a Tory” stuff. I don’t agree with everything he says but he’s a classy fella. Should definitely stay well away from those cunts who will use him for cover. 

1 minute ago, moof said:

Even better. Hope he went in two footed on Johnson. Still would rather he stay the fuck away from any photo ops with that cunt

Yeah should have told the kids at the event he was committed to attending, probably long before the blue bullshit wagon rolled into town, to do one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moof said:

Even better. Hope he went in two footed on Johnson. Still would rather he stay the fuck away from any photo ops with that cunt

I would be questioning who invited Johnson that showed a lack of understanding and ultimately put others in a difficult position. John is respectful hope as some said he metaphorically threw in a two footed challenge while making polite conversation.

I've been looking at some of these polls, and the headline numbers that we see strip out the undecideds. When the undecideds are included the gap between the Tories and Labour is at least a couple of % points closer than the headlines. The undecideds are still fairly large, ranging from about 8% to 15%.

Now not all of the undecideds will end up voting, but I believe that undecideds that do vote tend to end up voting Labour, I think that is partly because it is a greater % of women who leave their decision late, and they tend to vote Labour. But also, my guess is that these undecideds are more likely to be tactical voters, so I am hopeful that there will be a closing of that gap.

I think the pool are also underweight the youth vote, who we know tend to vote Labour. Including those with the undecideds, I think it could be a couple of % points closer. I thin kwe do need a swing of a couple of points on the headline numbers though, there is a bout a 10% gap, and I think we need to get to about 8% for these missing voters to get us to a hung parliament.

With regards to the latest Survation, its got some funky stuff going on with London. London tends to vote Labour, the other polls that I have looked, including the previous Survation poll, at have Labour leading in London as expected, but this latest one has the Tories on 40.9% and Labour on 36.4%. The Survation poll before was 28.5% Conservative, 39.9% Labour. The poll is based off 98 people in London, which is over 10% of the amount polled, so I am not sure if I trust that this latest poll is actually representative. 

I was having a pub lunch yesterday and there was a table of old blokes near to us. 

They were on about the football first. Mainly seemed to be blues. Then one asked who everyone was voting for on Thursday. The main voice said he was between Lib Dem and Tory as he couldn't vote Labour as "that Corbyn sent money to the IRA and ISIS." Nobody challenged him and there were a few signals of agreement, with another of the blokes saying "Yes, he's a very dangerous man." 

I was with family, including young kids, so didn't challenge them on the shite they were spouting. It doesn't matter that much because they were in a pub in a safe Labour seat area. But, there's likely people like that up and down the country, seeing Corbyn as some kind of evil force while ignoring the fact that Johnson actually is a dangerous racist. 

That alone, makes me less than optimistic for Thursday. But, we'll see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Tax shy remain voters?

Nar. It's just cunts acting like cunts. Theres a couple of days to one of the most important elections in the country's history and they're still undecided  ?

Bet the fuckers take a cunting age deciding what to have for tea. Fucking wet lettuces the lot of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Away from the football we are looking at a man who has consistently been pilloried by blacks and whites on his views on racism in football. Basically his view is fix societies racist  tendancies or you will never eradicate racism in sport (simplistic view from me) . He has taken a lot of flak from all sides wanting football to be blamed for the rise of/continuing racism he having none of it. 

I could agree with him on that if he didn't hang out with a racist prime minister. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

John Barnes is cancelled?  Interesting turn of events. Goes to show how fucking mental it is.  

It's getting beyond parody now. Someone who has been admired for decades now disavowed because he may vote differently to you. I can't even.

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I was having a pub lunch yesterday and there was a table of old blokes near to us. 

They were on about the football first. Mainly seemed to be blues. Then one asked who everyone was voting for on Thursday. The main voice said he was between Lib Dem and Tory as he couldn't vote Labour as "that Corbyn sent money to the IRA and ISIS." Nobody challenged him and there were a few signals of agreement, with another of the blokes saying "Yes, he's a very dangerous man." 

I was with family, including young kids, so didn't challenge them on the shite they were spouting. It doesn't matter that much because they were in a pub in a safe Labour seat area. But, there's likely people like that up and down the country, seeing Corbyn as some kind of evil force while ignoring the fact that Johnson actually is a dangerous racist. 

That alone, makes me less than optimistic for Thursday. But, we'll see what happens. 

People are stupid.  My essay. 

Millions of Germans after WW2 were like "whoa, how did all that happen, that was crazy, sorry about that Earth", but the reason they turned into a geopolitical incarnation of pure evil was because they voted for the head of it, not caring what the tail of it would look like.  

My old man buys tabloid shite, it's none of my business, but I was around theirs this weekend and caught sight of the Daily Star, and on the front cover was a small circle or star, with the words 'Election Update - zzzz' written inside. 

There is the political discourse of an election, and then there is the framing of one. We have problems with both. 

How do you make people care about their own lives?  It seems like a mad thing to ask, but it's seemingly true.  Oh, they care alright, you try and build a shed that blocks out an inch of sunshine from their property, they will care all right.  But for whatever reason, they seemingly can't connect the dots between the politics and their own lives, unless it's spelled out in a catchy headline in a newspaper. 

Now, this is a diminishing problem, newspaper circulations go down each year, only nonces buy newspapers in general, and those over 45.  There is a nosedive in sales over the last 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation

But where the newspapers stop, the tv begins.  So now we see the incursion of tabloid journalism into tv news.  And no, there's no headline to feed off, but there is a tone and context being inserted where it once was not. 

Unfortunately, I think we're at a point where a section of the poorly educated over 50's are only going to learn by living through the consequences of their terrible logic.  And yes, most of them will be tucked up with a house they owned by buying Council stock, at insanely low prices, and have great pensions, and no longer have kids in school.  And yes, the ills of what they have voted for will not be as profound for them as they will be for their children, but their thinking is "they'll be alright, cos we'll leave them the house when we die".  So, their logic, they're happy to watch their children struggle to raise their grandchildren, and for society to nosedive into a racist hot-bed, for 20-30 years until they die.

We're in a difficult place.  

The TV is the perfect medium to educate people.  That's where the BBC licence fee is supposed to provide us with everything we need to make informed choices.  But no more. 

Many of the less-intelligent public are just plain burnt out by the coverage.  And that's been on purpose.  It's been classic Russian techniques or pumping out information on all subjects, in all directions, 24 hours a day.  We've had this not just for this GE campaign, we've had since intense politics-heavy news cycle for 5 years.  

Brexit, backstop, NI, DUP, Barnier, trade deal, No deal, 2016, Cameron, May, Boris, Corbyn, Trump, Bercow, all these things have been shoved in people's faces for 5 years, in any order, on any topic seemingly, without anything happening, nothing tangible, just words for 5 years.  

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Cancelled? Disavowed? 

Seems like some things are being made up because a couple of posters said a thing on a forum. 

It’s pretty funny really. Stronts and Rico straight in there being all offended, to the point of making sensationalist shit up, at the idea that you can lose respect for someone if you find out they’re a Tory.

Never have I seen two people “get it” less

Here's a thing not many voters are talking about that will impact them; social housing rents are going to increase year on year for the next 5 years, by inflation + 1%.

https://www.socialhousing.co.uk/news/news/government-confirms-annual-cpi1-rent-increase-and-extension-of-rent-standard-to-local-authorities-60341

https://www.trowers.com/insights/2019/may/social-housing-rents-from-april-2020

I think there's around 4m in such homes, and a further 1m families on the waiting list. 

27 minutes ago, moof said:

It’s pretty funny really. Stronts and Rico straight in there being all offended, to the point of making sensationalist shit up, at the idea that you can lose respect for someone if you find out they’re a Tory.

Never have I seen two people “get it” less

Yeah, it really is weird. I'm personally not *against* people just because they're Conservative voters. I do lose a bit of respect and adoration for somebody who supports Boris Johnson though. I have the guy and everything he stands for. If somebody stands with him, it bothers me. Cancel him? Disavow him? No. Just don't really like it, if it's even true that is.

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's getting beyond parody now. Someone who has been admired for decades now disavowed because he may vote differently to you. I can't even.

Who's disowning him or cancelling him??

I think it's more disappointment that a man who a lot of people (me included) have a hell of a lot of respect for has taken to intigrating with a known racist and a man who's party has shown a vile agenda against this city and basically shit on it's people for the past nine years

If he say's he was there for footballing reasons and it was purely innocent that that he ended up on a picture with him then fair enough

Times today "Tory campaign is treating voters with disdain". "instead of blueprint for transformation weve been fed simplistic slogans and Corbyn the bogeyman scare stories"

Well la de da three days before an election is it now only dawning how all  the voters are being treated with contempt ? Or are they starting to wonder how few is the few who are going to benefit from a Tory majority ? 

When the middle class and upwards start thinking where is the substance here it is a damming endightment of the working class who have chosen to change allegience on get Brexit done alone.

@officialbarnesy: For those of you who may have seen this photo... It was at the launch of england 2030 World Cup bid, and supporting a grass roots girls and disabled football centre in Manchester that the PM “HAPPENED” to be at...it was NOT to support the Tory party. https://twitter.com/officialbarnesy/status/1204015397072232448/photo/1