You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s because I’d rather have it in my pocket than anyone else’s. Very simple really.  

I’m marginally more selfish than most people on here but I’m willing to admit it.  Like I said, there’s absolutely nothing stopping people paying or donating all their spare cash.  Every single one of you walks past homeless people all the time and you don’t give them money.  You don’t feel guilty walking past someone who could literally freeze to death that night.  How do I live with myself, well, exactly the same way you do when you walk past that homeless guy.  But I don’t pontificate about it.  

This is the reason for taxation. Wealthy people often live in a bubble, pull the ladder up, and try to justify selfishness. Well, you benefited from the system. Don’t want to pay into it for others to do the same? Tough. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So he wasn’t earning £250k a year then?  

and there’s absolutely nothing stopping you donating the extra cash to Labour. Is there? Or homeless charities?   

He was before were together, but took a huge cut to come to run a small company which was where we met. Are you stalking me, by the way? Can you tell me what time my optician’s appointment is today because I’ve forgotten, cheers.

I do donate to Labour.

I literally set up a homeless charity in my town a few years ago, and ran it till 12 months ago. Technically it’s a C.I.C, not a charity, but it’s by the by. We fed the local homeless population every night. And before you make a snide comment, no I wasn’t paid,  I did it entirely in a voluntary capacity. I also spent  thousands of pounds on food/equipment, but I’m sure you know that already. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Teasmaid said:

He was before were together, but took a huge cut to come to run a small company which was where we met. Are you stalking me, by the way? Can you tell me what time my optician’s appointment is today because I’ve forgotten, cheers.

I do donate to Labour.

I literally set up a homeless charity in my town a few years ago, and ran it till 12 months ago. Technically it’s a C.I.C, not a charity, but it’s by the by. We fed the local homeless population every night. And before you make a snide comment, no I wasn’t paid,  I did it entirely in a voluntary capacity. I also spent  thousands of pounds on food/equipment, but I’m sure you know that already. 

Why would I need to stalk you, you posted on the forum all about it.  You were quite proud if I remember rightly.  So was it before you met or not?  Weird.  

Congrats on the charity,  sounds amazing.  

30 minutes ago, Teasmaid said:

Good on you mate. That’s real heartwarming.

13 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Here’s a reason for not supporting the manifesto;

I don’t want to pay any more tax.  The people I’ve observed are hostile to me and people like me.  

If it is solely about what financially affects you - why not consider state pension, free tuition for your kids etc. I know you are a man who is closer to his final destination in life so retirement will be in your plans. Labour will keep the pension age at 66 instead of the increases the Conservatives plan. Quick rough calculation means you would get two years of £125 a week put that into to an inflation calculator and probably worth two years at 10k per anum. Although if the Conservatives do two more terms the state pension age will probably increase again, talk of 75 from some Tory think tanks up from their planned age of 68. So every year above 66 you would lose 10k per year of state pension. Even allowing for a generous private pension it starts to add up. 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Every single one of you walks past homeless people all the time and you don’t give them money.  You don’t feel guilty walking past someone who could literally freeze to death that night.  How do I live with myself, well, exactly the same way you do when you walk past that homeless guy.  But I don’t pontificate about it.  

Sorry Rico but how the fuck do you know how I feel when walking past people living on the street ? 

I've said on here before that the homelessness issue is out of control and something more needs to be done about it. It's made worse by the professional and aggressive begging. It's becoming a skill to try and work out who's genuine and who's not.

I'm by no means talking for everyone here but there's only so much anyone can give out of their pockets. That though shouldn't be equated to people not feeling any guilt or having no compassion. 

• Like 1

Goes without saying that we shouldn’t be relying on the general public to support homeless people by giving them the change out of their pockets. There’s enough wealth to go around to ensure basic rights for all

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is the reason for taxation. Wealthy people often live in a bubble, pull the ladder up, and try to justify selfishness. Well, you benefited from the system. Don’t want to pay into it for others to do the same? Tough. 

Prefuckingcisely. It is possible to create a society where people’s lives don’t depend on charity btw. It starts with people who can afford it paying their fair share 

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There's a serious point there actually. There are a lot of people who think society's problems aren't their responsibility because government should be addressing them. 

It's not a serious point. It's a false opposition.  Personal responsibility and government responsibility are not mutually exclusive - and it's characteristically dishonest and snide to imply that someone calling for the latter neglects the former. 

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Every single one of you walks past homeless people all the time and you don’t give them money.  You don’t feel guilty walking past someone who could literally freeze to death that night.  How do I live with myself, well, exactly the same way you do when you walk past that homeless guy.  But I don’t pontificate about it.  

These are the stories you tell yourself, to help you sleep.

27 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's not a serious point. It's a false opposition.  Personal responsibility and government responsibility are not mutually exclusive - and it's characteristically dishonest and snide to imply that someone calling for the latter neglects the former. 

Okay, well, I can only say what I see, and what I see is the government being blamed for every single problem that exists.

34 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

And what’s the end game here? “Right your parents suffered from drug addictions, that’s a shame... but don’t worry, I’m sure if you put your mind to it, you will collect enough for a warm bed to sleep in tonight”.