You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

24 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

You sound like you want to change labour into the green or the Brexit party. Don't worry about winning seats, just try and change the policies of the big boys. I can 100% say I would much sooner have a centre left government than a Tory government every day of the week. 

What Labour are offering is centre left. This is part of the problem, even left leaners are buying into this bullshit that what’s on offer is extreme left.

It’s absolute bollocks.

22 minutes ago, moof said:

If only they had a moderate, sensible watered down left wing leader like Ed Milliband. That would win an election. 

The idea that that Labour should shift back toward the centre ground is born from an ignorance of what is required to move society forwards. 

Indeed.

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’ve gone to the opposite of my foolish  doom mongering. Now I’m ignoring anything negative. Seriously, I’ve no ability to change anything, I can’t even be bothered to respond to the absolutely ludicrous post about comparative popularity made by AoT. What’s the point? I’m just going to let it wash over me and pretend it’s alllll good.

I haven’t seen the poll numbers, but I’m resigned to Labour not getting a majority and not getting more seats than the Tories. I’m moving on. We are going to have a Tory government, we are leaving Europe in a way that means things are going to get worse for those in need, the NHS will be under threat, and I suspect Labour will choose somebody hideous like Rebecca Long-Bailey to pick up the baton. 

So, ya know, fuck it. Don’t worry, be happy. Cause every little thing... 

What’s your beef with Rebecca Long-Bailey btw mate?

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You will need to get more votes than the other fella to win though right?

Is that still a fact or has that been changed as well?

Very much still the same. Also very much the case that there is no evidence that a move from centre left back to centre would win more votes/seats.

It would involve hoping that everyone would magically forget about the last few decades and, especially, Brexit. Particularly difficult as the former led to the latter.

• Upvote 1

There’s nothing extreme about Labour’s offering. It just looks radical based on how our political and economic system is currently structured - which btw is surely the definition extreme. 

Labour are mostly offering things that are completely founded in common sense, necessity, and the idea that we can do better as a species than what we have now. 

1 minute ago, moof said:

There’s nothing extreme about Labour’s offering. It just looks radical based on how our political and economic system is currently structured - which btw is surely the definition extreme. 

Labour are mostly offering things that are completely founded in common sense, necessity, and the idea that we can do better as a species than what we have now. 

So you feel you are best positioned to win right now?

I still haven't heard any solid ideas how this sensible politician would have gotten back 50 odd seats in Scotland - been able to balance leavers and remainers - all whilst being even more pro-remain and speaking to the Labour leavers. Whilst at the same time addressing some of the reasons why people voted to leave the EU by addressing the changes in our economy over the past few decades. I mean I could make a case that if Owen Smith had won the leadership race in 2017, May would have had a 100 seat majority and Brexit would have already been done and dusted. 

Parliament didn't agree on a soft Brexit because they were holding out for a referendum. That is the absolute travesty - politicians gambled with a harder Brexit knowing they wouldn't feel the impact. They led a lot of good people with the fantasy notion of a referendum when it was always highly unlikely unless... 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you think that Labour has a chance as it stands?

Do you think it is likely that an move further left increases Labours chances of winning?

First question, no. Second question isn’t relevant as no-one is suggesting that Labour goes further left than it is now.

Labours policies are popular, their leader is not. My instinct is that any leader with the same policies will be equally smeared though and time will tell on that.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Brownie said:

First question, no. Second question isn’t relevant as no-one is suggesting that Labour goes further left than it is now.

Labours policies are popular, their leader is not. My instinct is that any leader with the same policies will be equally smeared though and time will tell on that.

I agree, but think they could find a leader that would be smeared less.

You need to tick certain media boxes, and un tick others.

• Upvote 2