You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I think the leader debates is a big chance for Labour to make ground , but Corbyn needs to be very focused in his responses. I thought he was decent last time and clearly outshone the very poor May effort , but he was a bit waffly on the likes of Trident and defence and needs to have short, sharp soundbites when these inevitably get asked and also be a little more strident. I don't think you need to be apologetic about not wanting to kill millions of people. A bit more humour wouldn't go amiss either ( preferably not about the millions of dead people ).

I agree with previous posters that Arcuri & Grenfell etc. are potential lines of attack , and I would hammer the recent ISIS children / orphans response. Provide a vivid picture of a self-serving cabinet sitting there smugly deciding that their election campaign was more important than the fate of 60 children's lives and see how that flies.

As for Nick Robinson running the debate , the former president of the Oxford University Young Conservatives  , seems fair. He even has a wife called Pippa ffs.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, you namesist!

On another note I mainly work with teachers and it always amazes me when they mention they're Tory. I just can't comprehend it but there you go...

• Upvote 1

I know a few people in work who vote Tory and we have regular “conversations” about it, especially when it comes to Election time.

The mad thing is, most of them are so far away from the ideals of the Tories but they vote for them anyway. Their vote is basically a vote of fear. You won’t hear them say anything good about the Tories but they will trot out the media lines of “where’s the money coming from?”, “extreme left”, “Maxing out the credit card” etc.

People have been brain-washed into thinking that this is as good as it gets and there’s no alternative.

• Upvote 3

Just back from the in-laws after a roast. Brexit voters, think Corbyn’s a joke, etc. Talk moved to politics after dinner and I knew there was no point engaging so I had the kids coats on and was out of there inside two minutes. Her ma’s a thick cunt, I accepted that long ago. Her dad just saddens me. He grew up in the North East with no money. About as working class a background as you could imagine but it’s all about Brexit for him. Just retired from a civil service job too. Proudly explained that they’d be voting for the Brexit Party until their 15 year old grandson pointed out that they’re not even an option in this constituency. “We’ll vote Tory then. Same thing.”

They seem to be doing alright at the moment, certainly better than I am these last couple of years, but it was only five/six years ago that they couldn’t even keep up with their mortgage and borrowed hundreds of pounds from me on several occasions just to keep their heads above water. A part of me wonders what would have happened if I’d told them to jog on. 

Nice normal people (like her dad, not her snide goblin twat of a mum) are just completely blinkered by Brexit. 

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke
30 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

On that, this was an eye opener.

https://youtu.be/zE1e4Z52vIw

Cheers for that. That ex Officer Collins comes over as one of the racist and bigoted types you had leading the troops. He just talks a load of bollocks because he is quite literally just doing a PR job for his mates who still serve, more than likely as high ranking officers. The dehumanising of the so called enemy happens in all military organisations all over the World, as they say, it makes killing your enemy easier. The aftermath of how the people you have supposed to have liberated yet treat like shit is down to how highly strung and brainwashed many of those serving in one war/operation after the other are. The racism doesn't seem to be any less of a problem than back in my day, probably more so now as they employ a lot of soldiers from countries like Fiji, back then the vast majority of soldiers were British. 

Like the one bloke said, if you are big on nationalism and white supremacy then you'll find a home in the forces. Thankfully the real dangerous types were few and far between, not sure that is the case anymore. The rich and powerful who pull the strings will always use the manipulative type to do their dirty work. 

Guest Pistonbroke
19 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I know a few people in work who vote Tory and we have regular “conversations” about it, especially when it comes to Election time.

The mad thing is, most of them are so far away from the ideals of the Tories but they vote for them anyway. Their vote is basically a vote of fear. You won’t hear them say anything good about the Tories but they will trot out the media lines of “where’s the money coming from?”, “extreme left”, “Maxing out the credit card” etc.

People have been brain-washed into thinking that this is as good as it gets and there’s no alternative.

And all this despite a decade of Austerity and yet the national debt has rocketed, plus the Tories are planning on borrowing more to pay for their so called promises. Promises that won't come to fruition in general as the money finds it way into willing offshore bank accounts via the pockets of the greedy. 

Remember when the UK's 'AAA' credit rating was the most important thing eva, and losing it might turn us into Greece? When reducing the deficit to zero within 5 years was essential otherwise we'd, er, turn into Greece? Fuck knows how these con artists get away with this shit and still have a veneer of economic competency.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Maybe, but some would ask “does it matter?”. It’s the public who will vote, and in this instance surely it’s a positive that he performed better than public expectations.

I leave you to watch it yourself later. I saw nothing in it that would suggest he's convinced anyone to vote labour who wasn't already. Surely that's the whole point during these 4 weeks or whatever is left? Convince those who aren't already in your corner?

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Its because they believe that sometimes only going to war can stop a war. It's the fighting Fire with Fire mentality. 

Yeah, but we pick wars with people who we'd never need to go to war with. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

I can only speak for the time I spent in the forces and that what I gleam from friends who still serve. 

There are an awful lot of right leaning members in the forces and regardless of what you hear it was an extremely racist and homophobic environment to be in, although I do believe they are trying to stamp that out from a higher level these days. They are constantly fed a load of bullshit that a labour Gov't is bad for the overall forces budget, despite the Tories cutting back on stuff and equipment being outdated and sparse whenever they have been in power. The vast majority only read the headlines, which unfortunately paint Corbyn as some sort of terrorist sympathiser as we all know. They quite frequently complain about Soldiers being forgotten and mistreated post service time, yet forget that it is the present Gov't who don#t give a fuck unless they want to wheel out the Chelsea pensioners come poppy day. I find a lot of older veterans are far more savvy about things and lean towards labour, rather than their younger counterparts. 

I can understand all that to some extent. But I always think of a lot of people who join the forces do so out of a complete lack of options. My mate is a marine and has been for a long time. He did that so not to deal drugs for a living. And anyone who's in there just to have a job surely doesn't want to go anywhere near a war zone? 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I can understand all that to some extent. But I always think of a lot of people who join the forces do so out of a complete lack of options. My mate is a marine and has been for a long time. He did that so not to deal drugs for a living. And anyone who's in there just to have a job surely doesn't want to go anywhere near a war zone? 

You'd be surprised mate. 

49 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just back from the in-laws after a roast. Brexit voters, think Corbyn’s a joke, etc. Talk moved to politics after dinner and I knew there was no point engaging so I had the kids coats on and was out of there inside two minutes. Her ma’s a thick cunt, I accepted that long ago. Her dad just saddens me. He grew up in the North East with no money. About as working class a background as you could imagine but it’s all about Brexit for him. Just retired from a civil service job too. Proudly explained that they’d be voting for the Brexit Party until their 15 year old grandson pointed out that they’re not even an option in this constituency. “We’ll vote Tory then. Same thing.”

They seem to be doing alright at the moment, certainly better than I am these last couple of years, but it was only five/six years ago that they couldn’t even keep up with their mortgage and borrowed hundreds of pounds from me on several occasions just to keep their heads above water. A part of me wonders what would have happened if I’d told them to jog on. 

Nice normal people (like her dad, not her snide goblin twat of a mum) are just completely blinkered by Brexit. 

Doesn't sound like a lot of these whose leave vote is driven by Brexit would forget Brexit if there was a different Labour leader does it. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

What the fuck is wrong with them? 

They have it battered into them during basic training and depending on the Corp/Regiment they have joined it just carries on from there. For many it is all egotistical bollocks, as they'll literally shit themselves when facing live bullets, but loads are willing to put it to the test. Serve and die for your country and all that. laughable that those who push them into these Wars are sat back home or in the rear echelons in a safe headquarters. 

I do some work on an RAF base and they mostly seem normal and sane... there's a few knuckle draggers but I guess you'll always get a few

I can, to a certain extent, understand why they'd like to get sent to a war zone. The excitement and adrenaline would be a rush and it's what they train for and nobody ever thinks it'll be them crippled or sent home in a body bag

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

I do some work on an RAF base and they mostly seem normal and sane... there's a few knuckle draggers but I guess you'll always get a few

I can, to a certain extent, understand why they'd like to get sent to a war zone. The excitement and adrenaline would be a rush and it's what they train for and nobody ever thinks it'll be them crippled or sent home in a body bag

They're fucking stupid if they go into war thinking that. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Well, they probably are but, I think it's a natural human response to death.

Nobody ever thinks they'll get cancer or have a heart attack or whatever until it actually happens

20 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Yeah I've raised the argument about pointless wars, and the consequences that war brings but they aren't interested.

For one lad in particular I know, His Grandad was his hero, and i'm sure in his own mind he is following in his Grandads footsteps by becoming a soldier, going to war. 

He's said to me that as far as he's concerned if Jeremy Corbyn had been prime minister at the time of the second world war we'd have been wiped out as Corbyn wouldn't have supported it.    

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah I've raised the argument about pointless wars, and the consequences that war brings but they aren't interested.

For one lad in particular I know, His Grandad was his hero, and i'm sure in his own mind he is following in his Grandads footsteps by becoming a soldier, going to war. 

He's said to me that as far as he's concerned if Jeremy Corbyn had been prime minister at the time of the second world war we'd have been wiped out as Corbyn wouldn't have supported it.    

That's horseshit (as I'm sure you already know mate, not having a pop), I'm the biggest pacifist I know but even I know that the second world war was a just war! Perhaps the only just war there has ever been! Corbyn would have backed it, I'm certain.

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

That's horseshit (as I'm sure you already know mate, not having a pop), I'm the biggest pacifist I know but even I know that the second world war was a just war! Perhaps the only just war there has ever been! Corbyn would have backed it, I'm certain.

Yeah that's not my opinion, that's just the way he and I'd imagine a lot of people like him think. 

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

What a fucking tool. 

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah that's not my opinion, that's just the way he and I'd imagine a lot of people like him think. 

My mate and fellow green party member is ex-forces, but he is one of the few awake enough not to be fascist, he admits that most of the people he served with are fucking cretins. He freely admits that the forces ruined his life for a long time too!

23 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

My mate and fellow green party member is ex-forces, but he is one of the few awake enough not to be fascist, he admits that most of the people he served with are fucking cretins. He freely admits that the forces ruined his life for a long time too!

I am in touch with about 5 people I served with. Most of the rest were vile. 

can someone ask PB when he left the army and how long he was in?  I may be wrong but from memory it wasn’t long, a long time ago.  

ive worked with loads of lads who’ve left the army and they’ve generally been very committed, disciplined and capable.   Lots of them go into project management and it seems to suit the mindset.