You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

The trouble is, Corbyn is shite too. You've only got to watch him on Marr this morning. There's a reason Johnson wouldn't debate in the Tory leadership campaign and will now providing he's only facing Corbyn. He'd have got hammered debating with the other Tories.  He knows he can't lose with the key voters against Corbyn as they've had years of being fed he's nothing but a traitor and communist and he's not likable (on his TV persona) and articulate enough to turn around that point of view in a debate. 

Only time will tell obviously but I think that Johnson will possibly be shown up for the absolute fucking charlatan that he is no amount of briefing by Tory Central office will prepare him for a decent grilling ( I know if it's the BBC it won't happen) by any competent journalist.  

I think Corbyn will perform better than expected that's my hope anyway or not as bad as bojo the clown which might be good enough .

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The trouble is, Corbyn is shite too. You've only got to watch him on Marr this morning. There's a reason Johnson wouldn't debate in the Tory leadership campaign and will now providing he's only facing Corbyn. He'd have got hammered debating with the other Tories.  He knows he can't lose with the key voters against Corbyn as they've had years of being fed he's nothing but a traitor and communist and he's not likable (on his TV persona) and articulate enough to turn around that point of view in a debate. 

He was indeed shite on Marr this morning, but I think he would come out looking better against Johnson than you give him credit for. When given time, he can offer decent points. Johnson will repeat Trump-esque soundbites about terrorism, IRA, antisemitism, etc. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Tj hooker said:

Only time will tell obviously but I think that Johnson will possibly be shown up for the absolute fucking charlatan that he is no amount of briefing by Tory Central office will prepare him for a decent grilling ( I know if it's the BBC it won't happen) by any competent journalist.  

I think Corbyn will perform better than expected that's my hope anyway or not as bad as bojo the clown which might be good enough .

Corbyn will definitely gain more voters than Johnson on his walkabouts. Johnson just chickens out if he realises the crowds don't buy his bullshit, regardless of how the mainstream media doctor their reports. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He was indeed shite on Marr this morning, but I think he would come out looking better against Johnson than you give him credit for. When given time, he can offer decent points. Johnson will repeat Trump-esque soundbites about terrorism, IRA, antisemitism, etc. 

Not seen it mate but out of interest, why do you say he was shite? 

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I also think a major deciding factor in the debates will be how the presenter handles them. If they just let Boris go off topic and play the jokey soundbites then he will advance. If he is actually held to account on (not knowing) policy issues he will do badly.

Hopefully the BBC are kept as far away from these debates as is humanly possible or at least they manage to get someone decent that can get there tongue out of the the Torys arse long enough to challenge him on the his dismal record 

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I haven’t seen it, but judging from the reaction on Twitter, that’s far from the consensus.  Especially compared to the reaction to previous Tory ministers e.g., Sajid Javid last week when he was mocked by pretty much the whole of Twitter for the whole weekend for his performance.

I didn't mention Javid, but he won't be having debates with Javid will he? Javid was fucking shocking last week, but that doesn't matter, he's not the face.of his party despite his position as chancellor, on fact it could be argued Johnson has already marked his card and would seem for the chop if he wins any election. I don't know who would have been bigging up Corbyn today, unless the bar now is just being better than Javid, well he was. But it's the policitical equivalent  of two drunks fighting outside a pub. One might land the knockout blow, but if an old granny popped up sober, she'd probably take both of them. 

4 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Corbyn was reasonably fresh in the public's mind last time. That has gone now and I don't think he'll have that going for him. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see labour ending up with about 200 seats the way it's going. 

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

One good thing to come out of Tory getting a majority this Xmas with that buffoon in charge, hopefully it’ll put to bed this nonsense about how to win an election you need a charismatic, statesman-like, moderate leader in charge of your party. 

The Tories have never needed a moderate leader. They just need to have a leader who seems more capable than labour. 

6 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Hopefully the BBC are kept as far away from these debates as is humanly possible or at least they manage to get someone decent that can get there tongue out of the the Torys arse long enough to challenge him on the his dismal record 

Nick Robinson is hosting both of the BBC debates, the Corbyn v Johnson one and the one including representatives from 7 parties a week before. Julie etchingham is doing the itv debate if it is allowed to go ahead. 

Making such pessimistic predictions really is a fools errand. Labour are trending upwards, who knows what the polls are going to say in two weeks time? There’s no point predicting the future, all we can do is make the argument for why progressive social change is needed and try and win people over to that way of thinking. It’s very possible. Defeatist predictions of huge Tory majorities etc is just navel gazing bullshit 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I didn't mention Javid, but he won't be having debates with Javid will he? Javid was fucking shocking last week, but that doesn't matter, he's not the face.of his party despite his position as chancellor, on fact it could be argued Johnson has already marked his card and would seem for the chop if he wins any election. I don't know who would have been bigging up Corbyn today, unless the bar now is just being better than Javid, well he was. But it's the policitical equivalent  of two drunks fighting outside a pub. One might land the knockout blow, but if an old granny popped up sober, she'd probably take both of them. 

Corbyn was reasonably fresh in the public's mind last time. That has gone now and I don't think he'll have that going for him. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see labour ending up with about 200 seats the way it's going. 

This twat for one, and he *despises* Corbyn.

Guest Pistonbroke

Those floating voters will make all the difference, as will the younger generation who are now able to vote. It would seem a lot of Brexiters/Remainers have already made their mind up due to the obvious reason, I doubt many of them are going to change their minds this late. Just got to hope it is a high turn out, especially from the younger generation. 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

This twat for one, and he *despises* Corbyn.

That doesn't say he did a good job, it just says Marr let him off the hook. That dentistry piece was embarrassing, both for Corbyn and Marr. I honestly think Marr just didn't know what to do then, he's thinking "what's this mad old fool  bumbling on about"

10 minutes ago, moof said:

Not seen it mate but out of interest, why do you say he was shite? 

He wouldn’t answer a simple question in a direct way, he wouldn’t answer much in a clear, simple way, he tried to make some terrible joke about teeth, and had a frog in his throat the entire time, which muffled most of what he said. It wasn’t car crash, but you’d probably be forgiven for thinking you were talking to your grandad. He has this strange condescending tone when in interviews. He is much better on a podium than 1 v 1. I didn’t disagree with too much he said, but he just doesn’t sell himself or his ideas that well in that environment. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Those floating voters will make all the difference, as will the younger generation who are now able to vote. It would seem a lot of Brexiters/Remainers have already made their mind up due to the obvious reason, I doubt many of them are going to change their minds this late. Just got to hope it is a high turn out, especially from the younger generation. 

This is the biggest issue. The Tories I think will win lots of their target seats as in large labour leave constituencies , it seems this is a real black and white almost a referendum vote and not a GE. Most of what I see.from the reporting so far, even those who want a hard brexit are trusting Johnson to deliver brexit and the Brexit party may not split the leave vote too much. 

35 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

The reason why I think the polls can drastically change or be unrepresentative of seats are. Most polls so far have worked on the basis BXP will contend all seats. Tactical voting will have a factor - concentrated votes in some areas won't get picked up by national polls. We have seen in polling that certain pollsters are working on dubious turnouts in the under 35 age range and very high turnouts in the over 65 age range. One pollster had the lowest turnout in history ever for the under 50s. What impact will local activists campaigning Labour primarily and the Lib Dems to a lesser extent have. Both parties have a huge significance over the Tory party here. This is before you even consider the good or bad depending on your view of Labour's manifesto, debates etc. 

Kantar- 

Very odd- I get that turnout might be depressed due to the poll being held in December, but by that much? And with a big increase in over 65's turnout?

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That doesn't say he did a good job, it just says Marr let him off the hook. That dentistry piece was embarrassing, both for Corbyn and Marr. I honestly think Marr just didn't know what to do then, he's thinking "what's this mad old fool  bumbling on about"

Ah I see... so your take from that is his answers were *so* bad, Andrew Marr just gave up scrutinising them.

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Does anyone know anyone who genuinely supports the Tories?

On the few occasions I come across anyone  (in real life or online) who says they'll vote Tory, their reasons are all about Labour.  I've not heard anyone get excited about the people or the policies the Tories have got on offer.

I know loads, I know more people that support them than Labour.

The majority are Daily Mail and or S*n readers that believe all the shite they produce. Others are in the forces that don't like Corbyn because he doesn't believe in going to war/Trident etc.

I'd agree though that none of them get excited about the people or the policies the Tories have got on offer.

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

He wouldn’t answer a simple question in a direct way, he wouldn’t answer much in a clear, simple way, he tried to make some terrible joke about teeth, and had a frog in his throat the entire time, which muffled most of what he said. It wasn’t car crash, but you’d probably be forgiven for thinking you were talking to your grandad. He has this strange condescending tone when in interviews. He is much better on a podium than 1 v 1. I didn’t disagree with too much he said, but he just doesn’t sell himself or his ideas that well in that environment. 

Fair enough. I completely agree that 1 on 1 interviews with the likes of Marr is definitely not a favourable format for him. It also seems likely that a large proportion of people who get their news from shows like that are already conditioned against him. 

He’s better off talking to crowds and out on the campaign trail, and talking directly to people through twitter and all that bollocks cutting out the corporate media entirely. 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Ah I see... so your take from that is his answers were *so* bad, Andrew Marr just gave up scrutinising them.

Not for the whole thing. But that particular part was just shambolic. The main issue I had with lots of it, is he takes just too long to get to his point or sometimes it's not clear what his point is. He just sounds like a waffling old fella down the pub. It's not always what policy he is trying to deliver, it's the way he delivers the message. 

22 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Not for the whole thing. But that particular part was just shambolic. The main issue I had with lots of it, is he takes just too long to get to his point or sometimes it's not clear what his point is. He just sounds like a waffling old fella down the pub. It's not always what policy he is trying to deliver, it's the way he delivers the message. 

I’ll watch it this evening and revert. I was just saying that him having a mare is far from the consensus from what I can see on my timeline on Twitter.