You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

I know Labour voters who are voting for Tory because they want brexit done and some because they don't like Corbyn. I think a lot of people who would baulk at the idea of voting Tory previously will do so happily. Brexit it feels has strengthened the Tories not weakened them it's changed them for the worse and its hurt Labour. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Demonic Raab gives me the heebeegeebees.

"Independent Coastal State" seems to be the new phrase of choice. 

Couldn't say other countries vessels would have less access to our fish, they may even have more but, it is great because we will have negotiated that instead of being told by EU. 

Exactly the same wording that Boris was outraged about in May deal, but we will be an "Independent Coastal State" so all fine now. 

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The "Len McCluskey" route is probably best described as the Corbyn/McDonnell/Pidcock route - more rights for all workers, irrespective of where they came from. Labour is no longer in thrall to exploitative employers. 

Are you on board with the idea of giving people a referendum on the deal that Labour agree with the EU?

Er I was talking about the Len McKluskey view on free movement 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/13/mccluskey-tells-corbyn-defy-calls-extend-freedom-of-movement

I think he's bang on the money. It's sounds good "free movement" it's a nice slogan, it's like saying you value a 'free press' sounds nice but the reality is anything but.

As for another referendum I'm not too keen personally but I can see why some people would view a vote on the negotiated deal would be fair so I'd probably swallow it.

1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

A reminder what the polls were like even later in the GE 2017 election campaign. 

Screenshot-20191117-105237.jpg

Problem with this is, the Tories had a nightmare campaign, especially in the last few weeks with the social care policy etc.

I doubt they’ll make the same mistake twice and therefore the Survation poll will remain pretty much stable and be the final result.

13 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Yeah that’s cool, I just disagreed slightly.

id like to see a situation where we move progressively away from the current situation of tech billionaire rulers.

as we have more automation, and less reliance on income generation, it would be beveficial globally to move toward working for the common good. Look at legends like Tesla, Einstein, they were doing it purely for the love of knowledge and discovery. As population density Has increased and the ability to self educate via online sources, we should have far more availability of access to the people who can make breakthroughs. 

Or legends like Edison, who wanted to get reach... my impression is that you do have the access, there is far more money chasing the next big idea than there are viable ideas. But that is all a different conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Problem with this is, the Tories had a nightmare campaign, especially in the last few weeks with the social care policy etc.

I doubt they’ll make the same mistake twice and therefore the Survation poll will remain pretty much stable and be the final result.

Yes, and there was also a sense of momentum towards Labour (there was actually a conspiracy theory that the Arena bombing was a Tory false flag operation as they were running scared). There just doesn't seem the same feeling this time. Maybe the manifesto launch will help.

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

You need to factor in Johnson, I wouldn't be so certain that the gap won't close. A lot of voters are keeping their powder dry, which of course could work both in favour or against a Party. 

9 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Let's see how Good ole Boris deals with the TV debates if his latest TV appearances are anything to go by he could be a walking Car crash hope springs eternal imo 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Survation had a Tory lead of 18% at a similar time in the 2017 GE campaign. 

20 minutes ago, Brownie said:

All unfortunately true. Plus we've had a solid two year attack on Corbyn by freinds/feinds of Israel labour mps who' are more concerned with the preservation of an extreme Israeli state than the voters they are paid to represent.

The reason why I think the polls can drastically change or be unrepresentative of seats are. Most polls so far have worked on the basis BXP will contend all seats. Tactical voting will have a factor - concentrated votes in some areas won't get picked up by national polls. We have seen in polling that certain pollsters are working on dubious turnouts in the under 35 age range and very high turnouts in the over 65 age range. One pollster had the lowest turnout in history ever for the under 50s. What impact will local activists campaigning Labour primarily and the Lib Dems to a lesser extent have. Both parties have a huge significance over the Tory party here. This is before you even consider the good or bad depending on your view of Labour's manifesto, debates etc. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Does anyone know anyone who genuinely supports the Tories?

On the few occasions I come across anyone  (in real life or online) who says they'll vote Tory, their reasons are all about Labour.  I've not heard anyone get excited about the people or the policies the Tories have got on offer.

Yeah.... loads. I worked in the city for four years. Our CFO was a full-blown Tory.

41 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Let's see how Good ole Boris deals with the TV debates if his latest TV appearances are anything to go by he could be a walking Car crash hope springs eternal imo 

The trouble is, Corbyn is shite too. You've only got to watch him on Marr this morning. There's a reason Johnson wouldn't debate in the Tory leadership campaign and will now providing he's only facing Corbyn. He'd have got hammered debating with the other Tories.  He knows he can't lose with the key voters against Corbyn as they've had years of being fed he's nothing but a traitor and communist and he's not likable (on his TV persona) and articulate enough to turn around that point of view in a debate. 

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The trouble is, Corbyn is shite too. You've only got to watch him on Marr this morning. There's a reason Johnson wouldn't debate in the Tory leadership campaign and will now providing he's only facing Corbyn. He'd have got hammered debating with the other Tories.  He knows he can't lose with the key voters against Corbyn as they've had years of being fed he's nothing but a traitor and communist and he's not likable (on his TV persona) and articulate enough to turn around that point of view in a debate. 

I haven’t seen it, but judging from the reaction on Twitter, that’s far from the consensus.  Especially compared to the reaction to previous Tory ministers e.g., Sajid Javid last week when he was mocked by pretty much the whole of Twitter for the whole weekend for his performance.

Guest Pistonbroke

Those voting on the likeability of the party Leader and not the Party manifestos/policies are normally the first to whinge when they realise they don't like the outcome. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think that’s nonsense. When people ignore the media narrative and actually listen to him get his point across, like for example the 2017 election, his popularity shoots up. There’s a reason he’s such an effective campaigner. He would wipe the floor with Johnson in a debate