You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I think if you put a centrist like Chuka in charge of the Labour party they'd win 832 seats.

As this election is obviously overshadowed by Brexit can you state what it is you disagree with in Chuka  Umas s  policy regarding  the EU,?

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yes. I'm not saying there should be no public funding of science and technology. I am saying private is where people will rake their brains what consumers might want to pay for.

Yeah that’s cool, I just disagreed slightly.

id like to see a situation where we move progressively away from the current situation of tech billionaire rulers.

as we have more automation, and less reliance on income generation, it would be beveficial globally to move toward working for the common good. Look at legends like Tesla, Einstein, they were doing it purely for the love of knowledge and discovery. As population density Has increased and the ability to self educate via online sources, we should have far more availability of access to the people who can make breakthroughs. 

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

This is an old debate to be fair and my view remains unchanged. I’d rather stay loyal to my principles and fight to win than compromise on what I believe in to “win”. In my opinion the “pragmatism“ (as you call it, I would probably call it betraying my own beliefs) would render the win pretty much pointless.

As I say though this is an old debate and I know what your response will be (better to implement some of your policies than none at all etc).

It's also a debate on a flawed premise. The idea is that the policies which saw a doubling of party membership followed by the biggest increase in vote share since 1945 are hopelessly idealistic and doomed to fail, while the centrist policies which saw vote share reduce in every successive election from 1997 to 2015 are the pragmatic route to power.

I don't buy it.

I can’t be bothered replying to the several posts talking about centrists and centrist policies, but I have to be honest I’m getting really tired of people injecting that invented bollocks into what I’ve said. 

You don’t buy it, AoT? Cool, I wasn’t fuckin’ selling it, mate. 

Same.

A big part of the reason Labour are now 4th choice in Scotland is because they realised that the Labour Party they were voting for didn't represent the Labour party they thought they were voting for.

If Labour move back to the centre, I will vote green party. I think they will lose a lot of support if they don't continue moving in the same direction.

From what I've read the next Labour leader will almost certainly be a woman. Probably Rebbeca Long-Bailey. It will be interesting how the right wing media try and smear her.

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

As this election is obviously overshadowed by Brexit can you state what it is you disagree with in Chuka  Umas s  policy regarding  the EU,?

I've just remembered a question that I asked and I don't think you answered.  (Apologies if you did answer and I missed it.)

What do you think of Labour’s Brexit policy?

14 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I just think it's going to end them as a party of government for a very, very long time if they put idealism ahead of electability once again. I don't think they're interested in pragmatism, they're interested in ideology and idealism. 

You've set up a false opposition between Labour Party policies (idealism) and vote-winning policies (pragmatism). This is what I'm talking about when I say your premise is flawed.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've just remembered a question that I asked and I don't think you answered.  (Apologies if you did answer and I missed it.)

I thought Corbyn had a sensible policy regarding leaving the EU. In the past few years the right wingers in the plp have hounded him into taking a more vocal remain stance and it's proving to be a fucking disaster, it's going to cost labour the election.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The labour policy on free movement could prove crucial. If labour go down the Len Mclusty route and pledge to ban the exploitation of free movement hen they have a chance. If they go for the Plp/Chuka Umuna policy which let's big business fill their boots  then Labour are doomed.

6 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Same.

A big part of the reason Labour are now 4th choice in Scotland is because they realised that the Labour Party they were voting for didn't represent the Labour party they thought they were voting for.

If Labour move back to the centre, I will vote green party. I think they will lose a lot of support if they don't continue moving in the same direction.

From what I've read the next Labour leader will almost certainly be a woman. Probably Rebbeca Long-Bailey. It will be interesting how the right wing media try and smear her.

The Labour Party are absolutely finished up here.

Corbyn made a complete arse of his trip up here last week, which didn't help. I have a lot of time for him but his advisors up here should all be fired after that shambles.

47 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The labour policy on free movement could prove crucial. If labour go down the Len Mclusty route and pledge to ban the exploitation of free movement hen they have a chance. If they go for the Plp/Chuka Umuna policy which let's big business fill their boots  then Labour are doomed.

The "Len McCluskey" route is probably best described as the Corbyn/McDonnell/Pidcock route - more rights for all workers, irrespective of where they came from. Labour is no longer in thrall to exploitative employers. 

Are you on board with the idea of giving people a referendum on the deal that Labour agree with the EU?

Does anyone know anyone who genuinely supports the Tories?

On the few occasions I come across anyone  (in real life or online) who says they'll vote Tory, their reasons are all about Labour.  I've not heard anyone get excited about the people or the policies the Tories have got on offer.

16 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Does anyone know anyone who genuinely supports the Tories?

On the few occasions I come across anyone  (in real life or online) who says they'll vote Tory, their reasons are all about Labour.  I've not heard anyone get excited about the people or the policies the Tories have got on offer.

I do a lot of work in the city of London and meet loads of Tories. They don't need to get excited, they mostly want the status quo and labour threaten that status quo and the Tories don't. Even the majority of them don't want brexit, but just want it over and have bought into this idea it is un-British to ignore the referendum, so it has to happen no matter what and at what cost to the country.