You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

10 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

It's like nobody has considered Johnson's deal and the fact it is nothing more than Brexit in name only. They also forget that after a deal is agreed the transition period begins, a whole year of fucking about again, probably a lot longer as it will be extended the same as getting a Brexit deal agreed was. Then you have to factor in a pissed off NI and the Scots who would want another referendum, Wales thereafter? Even the Tories could end up binning Brexit in the end, or going with a shit deal that nobody wants. Who will the wankers in places like Stoke blame then? 

There will be no binning by conservatives. I predict withdrawal by 31st January then eleven months of unsuccessful trade deal negotiations followed by we tried for agreement couldn’t get it we have majority and mandate unfortunately have to crash out dec 2020 with no deal.

Here’s where I think we are (standby for pessimism): Next to zero chance of a Labour majority. Conservatives the largest party, not unlikely to be able to form a coalition or a minority government. In that scenario, we leave Europe either with a shitty Brexit deal or with a shitty deal that then leads us to WTO rules adherence. Scotland probably fucks off and it leaves little ol England to do its own thing. From an Empire upon which the sun never set to a lump of rock in a few lifetimes. Good job. 

Alternatively, a shock happens and Labour can somehow form a coalition, or at least get some sort of agreement on votes. I doubt it though. If that can’t happen, surely Corbyn fucks off and it’s down to Labour members on who they choose to l ad into the next election. If it’s more of the same, it might well just end them as a party. I think we’ve got a lot of Tory governments ahead of us at this point. The future is bleak. 

11 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

A key component of wifi was invented by CSIRO an Australian government public sector organisation. Public sector does not prevent innovation. Poor planning and management prevents innovation.

Public sector does not prevent (technical, scientific) innovation. It is however usually fairly sluggish when it comes to ways of how to make inventions commercial, how to monetize them. The Internet also initialy came from the public sector if I am not mistaken, but it was around for years until people started offering various types of content and trying to make money off it. It is more likely that ideas how to create a user-oriented new service or a product would come from people that are trying to make a profit. If you exclude or remove this from the picture you will lose contribution of a myriad of enterprising and sometimes ingenious people who very much want to make a buck.

40 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Here’s where I think we are (standby for pessimism): Next to zero chance of a Labour majority. Conservatives the largest party, not unlikely to be able to form a coalition or a minority government. In that scenario, we leave Europe either with a shitty Brexit deal or with a shitty deal that then leads us to WTO rules adherence. Scotland probably fucks off and it leaves little ol England to do its own thing. From an Empire upon which the sun never set to a lump of rock in a few lifetimes. Good job. 

Alternatively, a shock happens and Labour can somehow form a coalition, or at least get some sort of agreement on votes. I doubt it though. If that can’t happen, surely Corbyn fucks off and it’s down to Labour members on who they choose to l ad into the next election. If it’s more of the same, it might well just end them as a party. I think we’ve got a lot of Tory governments ahead of us at this point. The future is bleak. 

The member aren’t going to allow the party to go back to New Labour, and rightly so in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Public sector does not prevent (technical, scientific) innovation. It is however usually fairly sluggish when it comes to ways of how to make inventions commercial, how to monetize them. The Internet also initialy came from the public sector if I am not mistaken, but it was around for years until people started offering various types of content and trying to make money off it. It is more likely that ideas how to create a user-oriented new service or a product would come from people that are trying to make a profit. If you exclude or remove this from the picture you will lose contribution of a myriad of enterprising and sometimes ingenious people who very much want to make a buck.

CSIRO is there To make money, it has licensed the Wi-Fi tech for 20 years or so, and I think the license recently expired. The key point is how the organisations are configured and managed.

how many inventions have come via NASA?

its far too easy a cop out to say it needs to be private sector, private sector works for advances in known tech, but loss making investment across new tech often needs public funding.

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The member aren’t going to allow the party to go back to New Labour, and rightly so in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't think they will either. I don't think they need to. I just think it's going to end them as a party of government for a very, very long time if they put idealism ahead of electability once again. I don't think they're interested in pragmatism, they're interested in ideology and idealism. Well, that's fine. Absolutely respect their democratic right to do whatever they want to do, but they'll be dead as a party of government if they get the next party leader wrong. So they can select their ideal and put up with their hated enemy being in government and setting the agenda. What they'll end up this time, for all their talk of nationalisation and Brexit for workers is more privatisation and Brexit for the few. Ideal. 

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Never flew business on an A380, but apparently it is amazing. My folks kindly upgraded my flight back to London for my wife and I, as a wedding gift, on Garuda in August last year. Whilst I thought it was very nice, I don’t think I’ll ever actually pay for it myself. We’re stopping over to see them for a week or so on our way down to Melbourne in January. Tempted to ask if I could use their points to upgrade for my last leg. However, in all likelihood it’d be wasted on me. I’m not the best of flyers and every single time we hit turbulence I get heart palpitations. So really, I’ve been ‘knocked out’ for at least half of the journey on most long haul flights I’ve been on in the past 5 years at least, with the help of a rather lovely cocktail of wine and xanax.

Best flight I had was a380, around the time of the rugby World Cup in NZ. We had the Irish team up on business with us. I had a couple of whiskies at the bar, then 8 hours kip. The back for a few more drinks and a movie before landing. Me missus got bladdered, couldn’t sleep for excitement and felt like shit when we landed.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Best flight I had was a380, around the time of the rugby World Cup in NZ. We had the Irish team up on business with us. I had a couple of whiskies at the bar, then 8 hours kip. The back for a few more drinks and a movie before landing. Me missus got bladdered, couldn’t sleep for excitement and felt like shit when we landed.

I was too excited to sleep, got pissed and felt like shit when we landed. Although I’m not your wife. Yet. 

48 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

CSIRO is there To make money, it has licensed the Wi-Fi tech for 20 years or so, and I think the license recently expired. The key point is how the organisations are configured and managed.

how many inventions have come via NASA?

its far too easy a cop out to say it needs to be private sector, private sector works for advances in known tech, but loss making investment across new tech often needs public funding.

Yes. I'm not saying there should be no public funding of science and technology. I am saying private is where people will rake their brains what consumers might want to pay for.

1 hour ago, arthur friedenreich said:

You slept for 8 hours leaving your bladdered missus with the Irish Rugby Team? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I don't think they will either. I don't think they need to. I just think it's going to end them as a party of government for a very, very long time if they put idealism ahead of electability once again. I don't think they're interested in pragmatism, they're interested in ideology and idealism. Well, that's fine. Absolutely respect their democratic right to do whatever they want to do, but they'll be dead as a party of government if they get the next party leader wrong. So they can select their ideal and put up with their hated enemy being in government and setting the agenda. What they'll end up this time, for all their talk of nationalisation and Brexit for workers is more privatisation and Brexit for the few. Ideal. 

Nah, it's all sorted-

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

There will be no binning by conservatives. I predict withdrawal by 31st January then eleven months of unsuccessful trade deal negotiations followed by we tried for agreement couldn’t get it we have majority and mandate unfortunately have to crash out dec 2020 with no deal.

IMO you can forget about a No Deal scenario, apart from the obvious candidates nobody wants to crash out without a deal. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

IMO you can forget about a No Deal scenario, apart from the obvious candidates nobody wants to crash out without a deal. 

Here we revisit closer to the time see what pans out. There may be a bit of pre trade agreement posturing but the commentary ref fishing etc would indicate the talks are going to be difficult.

Guest Pistonbroke
12 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Here we revisit closer to the time see what pans out. There may be a bit of pre trade agreement posturing but the commentary ref fishing etc would indicate the talks are going to be difficult.

I reckon the transition period will make the initial Brexit negotiations look successful. Like you say though, one to revisit when we see how things pan out before/if it actually starts.