You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m not part of that 8% and mine is mental. I don’t know where you live but if your choice is between fucked and shite, then I don’t think you’re representative of the 92% of others who aren’t FTTH

How do you get circa 400 mb without it being FTTH?

6 hours ago, viRdjil said:

This fear of state ownership I find completely bizarre. The best airlines in the world are state-owned; Emirates, Singapore Airlines, etc. London Underground is probably better than any privately owned form of transport in the UK.

Emirates has gone to shite over the last 10 years mate, gone right down the nick.

13 minutes ago, Brownie said:

How do you get circa 400 mb without it being FTTH?

Just got their 362mb package which is fibre to the cabinet. Then (as mudface informed/reminded me) it’s coaxial to the house. There (and I realise this will sound cunty to somebody who it’s not working well for) you get better than advertised from Virgin. Your 100mb is general 110mb, etc. Have you had a new router?  

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

https://tottnews.com/2019/04/18/australia-nbn-disaster/

Pretty sure they still have multiple ISPs in Australia, but the network is garbage.

The NBN has been fucked up, due to one party introducing it as FTTH, then the other turning it into a clusterfuck and opting to deliver by wifi to rural areas. It’s a much more difficult issue here due to the size of the country and the variance in population density. 
it was a good plan, reasonably costed, fucked up for political purposes, to “save” money. Which has ended up costing far more and delivering far less. I live in a major metropolitan area, ~8km from the city centre, and still don’t have access, original install date was jan 2019.

So what you are saying with these broadband speeds, if I'm getting it right, the private sector is already serving something like 4/5 of the country with more than enough Internet speed for doing business and everything else at fairly affordable rates , but the Conservatives want to spend 5 billion of tax payers money to improve it and Labour would spend at least 20 million to make it free? And will somehow make Google pay for it? 

5 hours ago, Aventus said:

Am I just being paranoid or should we be concerned that a single state-run Internet service provider might be used for nefarious means by the government? 

Not hard to imagine scenarios with spying on the common folk and censorship of things the government would rather us not see. 

They can do this anyway, so you may as well get free internet. There is always going to be cat and mouse between privacy and security, the onus is on the end user and society via political choice to enforce one over the other.

4 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Nope, I think Labour's idea of a free service for all is a bit crazy myself. The main reason would be the shit customer service due to a Monopol and the fact you have to like it or lump it. Imagine the wait you'd have calling them? People don't just use VPN's for security reasons BTW. 

Just to add to this. The Government should be building infrastructure for all, especially since they are getting money back from the providers for using it. They should also ensure that prices are not OTT. That is where the major problems lie. 

I worked for NR for a few years in the early 2000’s,, I could not get my head around why they didn’t think to partner with an isp maybe BT to allow them to use NR owned sites around the country for masts in exchange for providing wifi across all services. It would have been a money spinner. hi speed wifi throughout the uk, and coverage on all train journeys.

53 minutes ago, A Red said:

Fast reliable broadband is critical for lots of people. We wouldnt have been able to move where we are now if we couldnt get it

Yep. It's a no brainer this one isn't it? It's something that needs to be done.  In my eyes it's a must do deal. 

Guest Pistonbroke
23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Corbyn is like Michael Foot a man with imo sensible ideas to solve ingrown establishment problems.

Unfortunately like Foot the electorate will turn a blind eye and our country will suffer a catastrophic calamity similar to the hell unleshed by Thatcher.

You can always blame the EU, and you probably will. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I flew with them in December to Bali and back, and it was really really good.

How much did you pay for the Breakfast? 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

You can always blame the EU, and you probably will. 

I'm with the two people I mentioned in regards to my views on the EU. I don't need to play the Foot link again and Corbyns exit plan from the EU was imo very reasonable.

It's not me on the wrong side of this argument and out of touch it's you.