You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

25 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Don't fully understand this about the fibre network, the state intends to be the only Internet service provider in the future and it will give it away for free to all end customers? Why not just build it and make it pay for itself by selling access to competing ISPs? Why do they need to nationalize BT for that? And if Labour want to cut household bills, wouldn't it be less risky from the business point of view to start with scraping the TV license fee, which is a form of tax anyway and finance the BBC directly from the budget / other tax revenues?

Think of broadband like roads or gas pipes, electricity pylons etc

It's essentially just another utility and becoming vital to our way of life.

I think they'd end up with small charges

Lab just want to nationalise BT Openreach rather than the entire BT organisation

20 minutes ago, блядь said:

I'm still waiting for Labour to nationalise the railways like it said it would over 20 years ago, and take the lottery from those pricks and make it a proper charity like they said they would. I know most politicians lie and that they will say anything to get elected, remember the tories saying they'd make the tunnel free. 

As with any pre election promises, I will believe it when I see it and it applies to them all. 

We should never have sold off the utilities, it made some very rich people very rich and allowed the facilitators of the sale to get pretty decent positions on boards. While some of Labour's plans are batshit crazy, at least they aren't planning on the continued killing of the weak and the poor. 

As for the BBC isn't it time it was made to fund itself through adverts, as far as I am aware the BBC owns 'Dave' the tv channel and that carries adverts for old BBC material that we have already paid for. Any quality BBC shows have moved to Netflix and are not really produced by the BBC anymore. I'm all for scrapping the licence tax and letting people spend that cash on other subscriptions. 

If you make a public broadcaster fund itself, it becomes no different from any other commercial broadcaster, you can no longer expect them to do anything else than chase ratings for the sake of selling advertising.

Just now, mattyq said:

I think they'd end with small charges

Lab just want o nationalise BT Openreach rather than the entire BT organisation

But that's essentially what I sad, no? From the description they intend to provide free Internet, electricity pylons and gas pipes bring electricity and gas to you, which you then pay to the provider of the actual gas and electricity, who in turn pays for the use of pylons and pipes.

There is mention they would compensate the shareholders with government bonds and also that other providers would have to "come on board" or be nationalized. Wouldn't that just wipe out all the ISP industry? Did I get it wrong?

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I think they'd end up with small charges

Lab just want to nationalise BT Openreach rather than the entire BT organisation

Yep. Openreach are fucking shite. They won't say when fibre to the cabinet will be introduced in an area because of 'commercial confidentiality', ffs. Where I live, they connected up the 'old' part of the village in 2013, this is mostly populated by pensioners who wouldn't really be that bothered. I asked when our 'new' estate bit, which is twice the size and less than 100 yards away would be done and was told it never would be. Then, all of a sudden towards the back end of 2014, they did it. Bizarre. All new housing developments should be built with fibre to the property, not just the cabinet, but most don't even get FTTC for years after the estate's been built.

33 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yep. Openreach are fucking shite. They won't say when fibre to the cabinet will be introduced in an area because of 'commercial confidentiality', ffs. Where I live, they connected up the 'old' part of the village in 2013, this is mostly populated by pensioners who wouldn't really be that bothered. I asked when our 'new' estate bit, which is twice the size and less than 100 yards away would be done and was told it never would be. Then, all of a sudden towards the back end of 2014, they did it. Bizarre. All new housing developments should be built with fibre to the property, not just the cabinet, but most don't even get FTTC for years after the estate's been built.

Agreed

They should also have to have proper insulation, tripe glazed windows and solar panels

47 minutes ago, SasaS said:

But that's essentially what I sad, no? From the description they intend to provide free Internet, electricity pylons and gas pipes bring electricity and gas to you, which you then pay to the provider of the actual gas and electricity, who in turn pays for the use of pylons and pipes.

There is mention they would compensate the shareholders with government bonds and also that other providers would have to "come on board" or be nationalized. Wouldn't that just wipe out all the ISP industry? Did I get it wrong?

No, I think you're correct

I guess the ISPs would continue to supply Content like Sky stuff and BT sport and added services like VoIP

ISP don't, as a rule, build their own networks with the exception of Virgin, they just piggy back onto existing infrastructure.. if the State is taking over that function then they'll either be absorbed, diversify or cease trading

41 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Been saying for a few days. Not just the Mail either, the broadcasters doing the same (despite fair rules during election campaigns).

This morning McDonald on Sky for 20 seconds saying Broadband plan, then Tory M.P. on for five minutes slagging off plan. Headlines about CBI slagging of Labour plan. 

People need to remember/point out that this is what we are fighting against, continually. Cunts are all in it together.

Not sure how feasible the Broadband plan is going forward but it's really hit me how beaten down this country and the population are.  There's honest and "normal" people who are up in arms that Labour would have the audacity to give it all away for free.  It would be helping children across the country and also saving themselves a few quid but it's still looked at as a sickening prospect. 

It seems elitism is buried so deeply into the country's consciousness that there's regular people arguing the case against multi billionaires losing money.

• Like 1

Just now, elBooth said:

Not sure how feasible the Broadband plan is going forward but it's really hit me how beaten down this country and the population are.  There's honest and "normal" people who are up in arms that Labour would have the audacity to give it all away for free.  It would be helping children across the country and also saving themselves a few quid but it's still looked at as a sickening prospect. 

It seems elitism is buried so deeply into the country's consciousness that there's regular people arguing the case against multi billionaires losing money.

Aye. A lot of people have been conditioned to think better things aren’t possible. It’s pure indoctrination. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

State-run telecommunications in this country have been well known for their quality, of course.

Mate, the broadband infrastructure of this country is already a monopoly.

We, the taxpayers, are currently subsidising Openreach to the tune of £5 billion to build the pipes and then we'll have the pleasure of shelling out again to use them

Yay to Corporate Monopolies

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Does that mean it will always be poor? After all, let’s not pretend that private telecommunications have always been quality. 

There's no incentive to be anything other than mediocre when you have no competition. This is the story of monopolies from the beginning of time.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

There's no incentive to be anything other than mediocre when you have no competition. This is the story of monopolies from the beginning of time.

Thank Christ all those ISPs are busily beavering away laying fibre from the exchange cabinets directly to our houses.

2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Mate, the broadband infrastructure of this country is already a monopoly.

We, the taxpayers, are currently subsidising Openreach to the tune of £5 billion to build the pipes and then we'll have the pleasure of shelling out again to use them

Yay to Corporate Monopolies

I'm not a fan of monopolies, whoever is running them. And I am unconvinced that creating more of them is a good idea.

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

This fear of state ownership I find completely bizarre. The best airlines in the world are state-owned; Emirates, Singapore Airlines, etc. London Underground is probably better than any privately owned form of transport in the UK.

You are missing the point somewhat, for a change. Those are state-owned entities operating in a competitive marketplace. They are not state-owned monopolies.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You are missing the point somewhat, for a change. Those are state-owned entities operating in a competitive marketplace. They are not state-owned monopolies.

Ah, the standard “not that type of state-ownership” response. Lols.