You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

15 minutes ago, Moo said:

There is no majority for a no deal Brexit. 

There is no majority for a hard right Brexit. 

There is no majority for a left wing Brexit. 

So how do you resolve that? 

I think the out vote is far greater than people on here acknowledge but that's just my own opinion.

I thought the Tom Watson lead push for labour to go full remain would be a disaster and it's looking that way. The EU are hated (legitimately) in working class areas.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think the out vote is far greater than people on here acknowledge but that's just my own opinion.

I thought the Tom Watson lead push for labour to go full remain would be a disaster and it's looking that way. The EU are hated (legitimately) in working class areas.

Yet Liverpool voted remain.

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Also Edinburgh, London  and Cardiff are remain. It's a strange conundrum.

It's not really is it?

The EU and freedom of movement has had a slight impact on some low paid jobs.  The Tory government and decades of neo-liberal economics have had a much bigger effect.  The right wing tabloid press has been publishing bullshit and lies about the EU for decades.

In the cities where people have more of the EU migrants and understand the situation better they know the truth.  In the regions with least migration they have less personal experience of actual people so have swallowed the bullshit and blamed the "others".  Classic right wing populism, while they are at the top, reducing workers rights and raking it in.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The leave vote was 52% everyone knows that, it doesn't even need acknowledgement. 

How do you think that 52% breaks down?

Or is it 52% "leave at any cost including hard right no deal Brexit" even if it leads to open ended austerity and the break up of the UK?  Because that seems to be what you're lamenting, there's a potential contradiction there. 

36 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The EU are hated (legitimately) in working class areas.

Listen you jumped up little shit, explain what this 'legitimate' bollocks is about. Brett wasn't an 80/20 landslide like you appear to be harping on about. It was 52%. Most of the people they interviewed in the run up to referendum and immediately after were focused mostly on immigration (with the Isis backdrop being heavily pushed by leave campaigners) and since then its all this 'democratic - will of the people' nonsense when not a single cunt could possibly have known what they had voted for 3 and a half years ago because we only had a proper deal presented in parliament 6 months ago (that got laughed out of the commons). 

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

General election 2019: Kate Griffiths selected as Burton Tory candidate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50398957

Another House of Cards story this! 

The Conservatives have wheeled her out for the sympathy vote. The poor cheated on soon to be ex-wife of the previous MP. Looks like Brexit Burton will remain Blue.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

The Watson push failed. Labour hasn't gone full remain. In fact, Labour is the only party offering a Brexit deal that (whilst inevitably damaging) wouldn't be an absolute disaster for working class people. 

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The Watson push failed. Labour hasn't gone full remain. In fact, Labour is the only party offering a Brexit deal that (whilst inevitably damaging) wouldn't be an absolute disaster for working class people. 

Welllll, they are sort of ‘offering’ that. Whether they can legitimately offer it at a referendum is another matter. What they’re actually offering is an attempt to go and try to negotiate another deal that would be better. Hopefully they could succeed because either way, it would not be too bad.

Still, I just don’t see Labour getting a majority under Corbyn. So really, it won’t matter what they’re offering. I’m more convinced than ever that we will have a horrible Tory Brexit, with a horrible Tory government. If that’s the case, then at least his supporters can rest safe in the knowledge that they didn’t bend. Great. 

56 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

All working class people adore getting banged by Biff Tannen in Back To The Future 2, Baron Greenback with AIDS and the honey monster dressed in a Carpetright manager’s suit.

Mook has never been happier 

37 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Welllll, they are sort of ‘offering’ that. Whether they can legitimately offer it at a referendum is another matter. What they’re actually offering is an attempt to go and try to negotiate another deal that would be better. Hopefully they could succeed because either way, it would not be too bad.

Still, I just don’t see Labour getting a majority under Corbyn. So really, it won’t matter what they’re offering. I’m more convinced than ever that we will have a horrible Tory Brexit, with a horrible Tory government. If that’s the case, then at least his supporters can rest safe in the knowledge that they didn’t bend. Great. 

In a sane world everyone votes Labour, Labour go and get the worst deal ever, it goes to a referendum and Remain wins by a fucking landlisde. Then all the people who still want to leave and have a no-deal Brexit go and have a meeting under a big hill. And then there is a big landslide and they all get buried under it and then the Tremors from the unmissable 1990 film with Kevin Bacon come and eat the fucking things. 

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

You are missing the word “some”. Some working class areas may be anti-eu, but fuckloads are not, and those that are against it should be looking to get out with the best deal available for them, rather than the best deal for the Tory party and their cronies. 

I think I agree with David Mitchell's 3 manifesto wishes. Proportional representation. Paying MPS a lot more, a solid pension, remove the option of taking on more jobs or retiring from politics to a company you clearly greased the wheels for. (I'd ban paid speeches too or anything that looks like a bribe). Thirdly a type of carbon tax, let the cost of company's damaging the environment become a lot more expensive. 

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

It's not really is it?

The EU and freedom of movement has had a slight impact on some low paid jobs.  The Tory government and decades of neo-liberal economics have had a much bigger effect.  The right wing tabloid press has been publishing bullshit and lies about the EU for decades.

In the cities where people have more of the EU migrants and understand the situation better they know the truth.  In the regions with least migration they have less personal experience of actual people so have swallowed the bullshit and blamed the "others".  Classic right wing populism, while they are at the top, reducing workers rights and raking it in.  

Hmmm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/13/mccluskey-tells-corbyn-defy-calls-extend-freedom-of-movement

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think that is a reasonable summing up from McCluskey on the politics around Brexit when looking at the Labour leave voting consituencies.

What was your "hmmm" supposed to mean?

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think I agree with David Mitchell's 3 manifesto wishes. Proportional representation. Paying MPS a lot more, a solid pension, remove the option of taking on more jobs or retiring from politics to a company you clearly greased the wheels for. (I'd ban paid speeches too or anything that looks like a bribe). Thirdly a type of carbon tax, let the cost of company's damaging the environment become a lot more expensive. 

I don't agree with his views on Corbyn, but that's 3 excellent shouts he's come up with.