You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

On 02/11/2019 at 23:30, Nelly-Torres said:

I mentioned that I wanted to see if the polls were accurate that suggested a move back to Labour if we didn't leave the EU on 31st October. 

So far, they don't appear to be so. In leave voting seats, there generally appears to be a double figure vote shift from Labour to Conservative and the Brexit lot. In remain seats, the Lib Dem shift appears large enough to be causing problems. Also, according to Survation's (arguably one of the more reliable pollsters) polls on Westminster voting intention by constituency, the "Workington man" prediction seems to carry some weight. 

Things can change and you factor in margin of error, tactical voting and the recent surge in under 35s who've registered to vote, but I'm becoming less optimistic for Labour's chances by the day. 

They've got a diverse range of policies which will address many of the concerns of the electorate. And, for me, their Brexit policy, while not ideal, is sensible. But, it seems that people simply don't care about other issues. The electorate still seem to be obsessed with Brexit. Over everything else. And the National polarity on Brexit seems to be alive and kicking. I now (sadly) think Labour might have misread the public mood on Brexit. The vox pops have been full of people saying they just want Brexit done. Labour's policy offers that, but not with the speed or directness that the majority of the public seem to want. If, as it looks like being, the election is largely a single issue one - Brexit - then I fear that this could cost Labour dearly. 

I probably said the same in 2017 and that election didn't turn out THAT bad. But, I've got a growing feeling that December could be a very bad month for Labour. If so, I just hope that a sound defeat in a Brexit heavy election isn't interpreted as a rejection of all of Labour's other current policies so as to bring about a change in direction back towards the "New Labour" shite. 

some interesting thoughts from a PR bod on VoxPops:

Oct 31st 2019, 9 tweets, 2 min read

Another day, another #r4today vox pop in a northern Labour seat with angry elderly 'I was Labour all my life but...' people. There is an inevitable sample bias if you walk around the streets on a work/college day.

Anyway, let me tell you a bit more about vox pops. 
In broadcast there are templates for a 'package'. They always include some 'colour'. That's what the vox pop is. It's just a production device, of little more value than the 'set up shot', where you see an interviewee walking past the camera before you hear them speak. 
The vox pop simply breaks up the item a bit. Production value.

Because media literacy is quite low in the general population I imagine many casual news consumers don't know this & think they are conveying 'news'. 
The vox pop is also used to 'evidence' a pre-determined angle. No journalist goes to a Labour northern Leave seat with an open mind. They go to illustrate how tough it is for Labour there.

The vox pop stands that angle up. You actively find the voices you need. 
This is how it works, on TV & radio.

I doubt it has changed since I did it.

You can't kid a kidder
Someone has compiled some examples from 2017 here.

News programmes aren't spontaneous. There is always a 'planning meeting'. This is where the story angle is decided. Everything then flows from that.

THREAD : This is a full on National Scandal.
I've gone back and looked at BBC's mendacious and cynical use of biased 'vox pops' during #GE2017 all trying to portray one message "disaffected Labour voters who'll vote Tory"#BBCbias @Ofcom @bbcnewspr @esmewren

FWIW, since so many people think this is always evidence of 'anti-Labour bias', my own reading of it is that we're talking more about an issue of competence than conspiracy.

It's lazy journalism-by-numbers, rather than evidence of rampant hostility to Labour, in my view. 

Later, the same day 

Aou99_ev_bigger.jpg

On 03/11/2019 at 01:21, Creator Supreme said:

I think you're bang on unfortunately. This cuntry gets the government it deserves, mainly due to the massive amount of thick twats in the electorate.

If it does go the way we think, obviously Corbyn will resign, but I'd like to see the likes of McDonnell bin Labour off and leave it to the Blairites, let them rot in their own shit!

Come to the Greens folks we'll give you a home!

the greens lack any relevance until FPTP is binned off.

I voted green locally with labour second preference over here, the system allows smaller groups ti have more relevance and drive policy change.

sadly too many country morons elected the right wing shitehawks under morrison.

i was speaking to ayoung lad in work, around the time of the elections, who stated I'm socially left, but financially right. he didn't understand cognitive dissonance as a concept, wants all the nice things but not to pay for them.

same lad (contactor scumbag like myself) said he would have joined a couple of the full timers in striking for extinction rebellion, but that as a contractor he wouldn't be paid for it and they were using up time in lieu..... utterly fucking ridiculous 

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Kim Johnson selected as the Labour candidate for Liverpool Riverside. 

She was on of the more appealing one's on the shortlist, for me. Lives in the constituency, a UNISON shop steward. 

She's a good'un, Kim. Intelligent and principled.

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, they were saying that before Labour polled 13.6% in the last national election too.

I can see why you would harp on about that as it was the high tide for your one-policy party and it has been downhill ever since. I've gone from being worried about your effect on Labour to worrying that you and your out of her depth leader are too shit to give Johnson any sort of bloody nose.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-labour-corbyn-speech-economy-nhs-general-election-campaign-essex-a9184981.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572907018

Brexit can happen without ‘trashing’ UK economy or NHS, Jeremy Corbyn to claim
Labour leader to stamp his authority on his Remain-backing colleagues – by insisting a pain-free, softer exit deal can be achieved

Rob Merrick Deputy Political Editor @Rob_Merrick 1 hour ago 

Brexit can be carried out without “trashing” the economy or the NHS, Jeremy Corbyn will claim, as he stamps his authority on his Remain-backing colleagues.

The Labour leader will underline his determination to stay neutral in the EU debate, while negotiating “a sensible deal” to be put to a second referendum if the party wins the general election.

Labour’s most senior figures – John McDonnell, Tom Watson, Emily Thornberry, Diane Abbott and Sir Keir Starmer – have all pledged to back Remain in that second poll, citing the huge damage from leaving the bloc.

But Mr Corbyn, speaking on the campaign trail in Essex on Tuesday, will risk angering the Labour faithful by insisting a pain-free, softer Brexit can be delivered with him in No 10.

It comes as Boris Johnson put pressure on the Labour leader by urging him to "come clean" on his Brexit plans, demanding to know the party's stance on freedom of movement and revoking article 50.

But Mr Corbyn is now making clear his colleagues must fall into line behind the party conference decision not to endorse Remain before Labour’s renegotiation is known.

I don't think there is a Brexit deal that doesn't damage the economy and the NHS. I've yet to see any evidence that one exists. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of evidence that even the softest Brexit deal will result in a substantial hit to GDP.

So we're back to unicorns.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Fair play to Dan Walker on BBC Breakfast, refusing to allow Gove to deflect or joke or squirm his way out of questions about the Russia report.

I lasted about 3 seconds on it, I'd only just had my breakfast, and the combination of Gove's face and the usual 'terrorist' smears had me scrambling for the remote.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't think there is a Brexit deal that doesn't damage the economy and the NHS. I've yet to see any evidence that one exists. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of evidence that even the softest Brexit deal will result in a substantial hit to GDP.

So we're back to unicorns.

I think it will harm the economy and probably the NHS. I think it will do a lot of things besides that, too. I think it will split up the United Kingdom. It's a crazy thing. There is one thing that you don't take into account, though; people voted for it. Narrowly, yes. Fairly? That's up for debate, but they did vote for it. Going and getting the best possible deal - if he can even get a better deal - and then giving the option to remain is absolutely the best outcome of the general election. It's not a Lib Dem majority, that's just not going to happen. And, as you've said, the brave and honourable Liberal Democrats - defenders of freedom and democracy - won't go into coalition, so what's the fucking point in them? 

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're an adult. 

Stop pretending that you think any EU election is a reliable indicator of what might happen in a General Election. 

No, you should stop pretending that voting for MEPs in an election for Europe with a 37% turnout isn't much more indicative of a General Election with 70% than a General Election with 70% turnout. 

CRAZY TALK.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Oh no, does this mean the Labour candidate who said she’ll celebrate Blair’s death is absolutely disgusting too? 

Look at the fucking state of this cunt. Every now and then his mask slips. His only response to somebody saying that those on Benefits Street should be 'put down' is to say 'yeah, but what about the one who said something about Blair'.