You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite,Underappreciated,Players that never lived up to their Rep

Lee909

33 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Perhaps for you guys in the UK it was tough to source European football back then... I must say though I find that pretty bizarre. What was the problem? Too expensive? in Australia Fox charged you £60 a month and you used to get champions league football and UEFA cup, premier league (every single game), you could add more channels for la Liga and Bundesliga too. Hell... in South East Asia they used to show it for free brought to you by cigarette companies. I think I must have watched most of the games Milan played under Zacheronni when they won the Scudetto... remember when Albertini and Helveg used to supply Bierhoff with loads of sumptuous crosses?  Ziege couldn’t get a game for them because of some random Argie called Guly? Fuck Serie A was soooo good back then. I loved the PL most because of Liverpool obviously, but when I was growing up, Serie A was the real ‘creme de la creme’ of football. Each to his own obviously.

When The Guest was a kid, pre-Sky, it was difficult for people, who never went the match, to access English club football, let alone foreign stuff.  It was the odd televised game, highlights or radio. Loads of people were footy “bullshitters”.

• Upvote 1

These aren't necessarily players I loved watching, but they each represent the OP criteria in different ways.

Ivan Zamorano - Bam Bam was one of the most underrated strikers of the 90s; great in the air, very good with ball to feet and played with a never-say-die attitude.

Aljosa Asanovic - Boban and Prosinecki used to get the midfield plaudits for Croatia but it was this guy that really made them tick. Was the standout player in that late-90s Derby County side.

Juan Carlos Valeron - so much ability and made the game look effortless but was generally overlooked for the national team in favour of anyone who wore the colours of the El Clasico cunts.

Ze Roberto - he would almost certainly be a Jurgen Klopp player if he was playing today because he was versatile, hard-working AND creative. Basically Gini with more assuredness in front of goal.

Vincent Candela - not as effervescent in attack as the right-sided Cafu but he more than held his own in that Roma team at the turn of the century. If it weren't for the brilliant Lizarazu, Candela would have had more international caps for France.

Winston Bogarde - he was actually an excellent and consistent left-sided defender at Ajax, and was still very effective at Barcelona. Unfortunately, he was offered a ridiculous contract at Chelsea, lost his mojo and did fuck-all until his contract ran out which is why he's only remembered for his Chelsea stint.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

These aren't necessarily players I loved watching, but they each represent the OP criteria in different ways.

Ivan Zamorano - Bam Bam was one of the most underrated strikers of the 90s; great in the air, very good with ball to feet and played with a never-say-die attitude.

Aljosa Asanovic - Boban and Prosinecki used to get the midfield plaudits for Croatia but it was this guy that really made them tick. Was the standout player in that late-90s Derby County side.

Juan Carlos Valeron - so much ability and made the game look effortless but was generally overlooked for the national team in favour of anyone who wore the colours of the El Clasico cunts.

Ze Roberto - he would almost certainly be a Jurgen Klopp player if he was playing today because he was versatile, hard-working AND creative. Basically Gini with more assuredness in front of goal.

Vincent Candela - not as effervescent in attack as the right-sided Cafu but he more than held his own in that Roma team at the turn of the century. If it weren't for the brilliant Lizarazu, Candela would have had more international caps for France.

Winston Bogarde - he was actually an excellent and consistent left-sided defender at Ajax, and was still very effective at Barcelona. Unfortunately, he was offered a ridiculous contract at Chelsea, lost his mojo and did fuck-all until his contract ran out which is why he's only remembered for his Chelsea stint.

Good shouts

Always thought Valeron was around just a few years to early. He'd have been great in the 06-16 Spain squads. Might not have started but been a major player in the squad 

Bam Bam was superb 

Great partnership with Salas and paired well in the few games I saw him with Ronaldo

Completely agree on Ze Roberto

Antonio di Natale aka Tony Christmas 

He's said there was talk of him coming to us in 2008, some idiot must have decided Keane was a better option. Liverpool where the only team he would have left for too, from a man that turned down Juve

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Mario Basler. A magician who could’ve been anything but ended up being a bit of a luxury player.

Is that the bloke off Dawsons Creek?

Robbie Fowler. Shame injuries took their toll already from age 23. He could have been one of the best strikers the world have ever seen. Decent career though, but what heights he could have reached. Still one of my favorite players of all time. That sweet sweet left peg of his, not many to rival that over the years.

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2019 at 10:35, Bjornebye said:

This 100%. My dad has said for years that our side in 88 was as good a side he has seen anywhere in world footy. The Wimbledon loss was a seriously freak result. That side wins at least 2 European cups in that 5 year spell. That ban set us back 30 years. Fucking Chelsea cunts. 

Your Dad was absolutely right.