You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite,Underappreciated,Players that never lived up to their Rep

Lee909

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Tino Asprilla

1 game. The 1 game fucker. 

Saw something on instagram the other day and it had the back of retro footy shirts with players names on:

Rossi

Maldini

Brehme

Cantona

Dessailly

Yeboah

Yeboah. Tony Yeboah. 

@Tony Moanero fuck off you miserable crank!!

Certainly it would be better rather than just rattling off names to do one of each.

Favorite - Maldini, simply the most elegant defender to ever play the game

Underappreciated - Georginio Wijnaldum, on the short list for the Golden Balloon and people still weekly talk about how he disappears

Hype - Carlos Valderrama, love him but he never played for anybody good and won just a single team trophy. Multiple South American player of the year awards, FIFA Top 100 player award etc. Spent most of his career in a vastly inferior MLS.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Guest said:

Most of the foreign players pre 2005 never lived up to the hype because the hype was mainly mystique built up around them.  Knobheads would rave about players they had never seen play more than a handful of times.

Having said that young I’m going to be a massive hypocrite and say I think Pavel Nedved never gets the plaudits he deserves.  It felt like every time I watched him he was the best player on the pitch.  He was a genuinely two footed, skilful all round attacking player and I always wanted us to sign him.  He would have been fantastic in the premier league.

My parents could afford cable TV thank you very much. I watched much more football back then than I do now.

37 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

My parents could afford cable TV thank you very much. I watched much more football back then than I do now.

In days of old, way before the mid 00s,  when there was very little football on terrestrial television and Sky didn’t exist, most people raved about players they hardly ever saw, and not just foreign ones.

People chatted raw shit.  They deified some footballers for playing in Italy and Spain.  It was the late 90s early 00s version of telling everyone how good Scholes and Carrick were.  You thought you had everyone kidded because you knew who James Richardson was and could rattle on about Panucci.  The reality was you could watch one Italian game a week on channel 4 and it was always boring as fuck so you’d fuck it off.  You’d then have to deal with some bullshit artist going on about Recoba because he scored a free kick but you couldn’t pull them on it.  You might have re-imagined your youth and think that you did watch all these games and players but you’re lying to yourself 

It’s mad, nowadays you can access basically any game in the world yet these people who used to watch all these games have disappeared.  You can’t bullshit any more because everything is recorded.  If you chat bollocks about certain players it’s very easy to get pulled on it.  The funniest period was before these bullshitters realised this.  They were telling everyone Cisse was the next Henry and they’d watched every game he’d played in France followed up by Lucas.  When they both turned out to be absolute garbage they had nowhere to hide.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

People chatted raw shit.  They deified some footballers for playing in Italy and Spain.  It was the late 90s early 00s version of telling everyone how good Scholes and Carrick were.  You thought you had everyone kidded because you knew who James Richardson was and could rattle on about Panucci.  The reality was you could watch one Italian game a week on channel 4 and it was always boring as fuck so you’d fuck it off.  You’d then have to deal with some bullshit artist going on about Recoba because he scored a free kick but you couldn’t pull them on it.  You might have re-imagined your youth and think that you did watch all these games and players but you’re lying to yourself 

It’s mad, nowadays you can access basically any game in the world yet these people who used to watch all these games have disappeared.  You can’t bullshit any more because everything is recorded.  If you chat bollocks about certain players it’s very easy to get pulled on it.  The funniest period was before these bullshitters realised this.  They were telling everyone Cisse was the next Henry and they’d watched every game he’d played in France followed up by Lucas.  When they both turned out to be absolute garbage they had nowhere to hide.

Perhaps for you guys in the UK it was tough to source European football back then... I must say though I find that pretty bizarre. What was the problem? Too expensive? in Australia Fox charged you £60 a month and you used to get champions league football and UEFA cup, premier league (every single game), you could add more channels for la Liga and Bundesliga too. Hell... in South East Asia they used to show it for free brought to you by cigarette companies. I think I must have watched most of the games Milan played under Zacheronni when they won the Scudetto... remember when Albertini and Helveg used to supply Bierhoff with loads of sumptuous crosses?  Ziege couldn’t get a game for them because of some random Argie called Guly? Fuck Serie A was soooo good back then. I loved the PL most because of Liverpool obviously, but when I was growing up, Serie A was the real ‘creme de la creme’ of football. Each to his own obviously.