You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) 30/10 League Cup 20:30

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Ever so hard, keep trying super fan,  make sure your tinfoil hat doesn't fall off. 

I'd love to know how you come up with that. I'm just another fan posting on a Liverpool forum, i try not to belittle other fans by saying how long I've been supporting the club blah blah blah, feel free to produce evidence to the contrary. None of us are perfect though. I'm aware that I sometimes post things that go against the general consensus. 

As far as you go, have you read match threads back and realised the guff you post and the amount of posters who pick you up on it? I bet you haven't, you just plough on with the same old shit in every match thread. 

The afternoon after the night before. How do you sum that game up? It wasnt a classic yet in some ways it was. It had mistakes, experience, inexperience and it had goals galore, some very good.

Ive said many a time I dont think we should be in this competition. I find it more than a little sad that in the Football League's own cup competition, there's virtually no representation by their clubs. Plucky Colchester have made it through but it would be the shock of all shocks it fhey get to the semi never mind the final. I havent a clue when was the last time an EFL club got to the final, was it Cardiff v us in 2012?

Im more than happy Jurgen puts out a team with young lads and the first team squad players who need games. Our teams should go out to win. That's what they did and Ive no complaints whatsoever with that.

On paper, arsenal looked to have the stronger team albeit with their own smattering of youth. Things were looking a bit ominous when they went 3-1 up but this young team, following their seniors vision, never gave up. Three times they had to drag themselves back into the game when they could have just folded.

I was disappointed with the performances of the established players; Origi, Milner, Keita, Oxlaide Chamberlane and Lallana didnt really cover themselves in glory. Naby again went off injured. Milner sold his young keeper short, Origi looked lost etc. But a couple of goals for Origi and Ox makes things look better than maybe their performances were?

I like Curtis Jones and think he's a good prospect. Brewster worries me whether he'll make it as a striker here. That might be a tough shout about the lad but a striker lives on their goal record. His pen in the shootout was calm though.

Looking back through the thread, I just find it hard to believe some were so harsh in their comments. There's no 'super fan' stuff here, these are just young lads so they're going to make mistakes and errors.

I loved Jurgen's post match presser. He wasnt really that arsed about it all, he was just made up for the young lads and the game they played in. I loved it that he's also already called out the Football League about scheduling the next round. The comment about 'not Christmas Day at 3.20am' cracked me up.

Doesnt stop the nobs saying take one team to Doha and let the other play back home in December. What about the manager and all the backroom team, is he supposed to manage them both from Doha? Suggesting the assistant manager or U23 manager should take charge is also a fucking daft idea. What was it city were trumpeting recently about 'sporting integrity'?

24 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I was disappointed with the performances of the established players; Origi, Milner, Keita, Oxlaide Chamberlane and Lallana didnt really cover themselves in glory.

I liked your post and hate to quibble I'm not sure If I agree on that one. Two pretty amazing goals one of which was pretty glorious. You can't ask for all that much more from a forward.

Guest Pistonbroke
16 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Any highlights available, folks?

Someone posted a 5 minute package after the result last night. Shouldn't be hard to find. 

Pfft, wasted 10 seconds of my life there. 

5 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I reckon he's dying to get his hands on the Arsenal job. The way he managers he'll get them defending better, especially after a window when he can spend money on a few decent defenders. They seem sorted up front and with the shit in the PL this season he'd easily get them a top 4 finish imo. They'd have to act soon though, and he'll be circling like a Vulture. 

Think he would do a good job with them to be fair. They have some very good players up front and in saka and martinelli two really good young players. He would clean up that defence quickly and make them better in midfield with some snide fucker. He's a horrible bastard but has been a top manager. His  last Manc team have shown they are a bunch of snakes and it reflects more on them than him that he wasn't a success there. Granted he is poisonous in the long run and he fell out his last Chelsea team from a height of winning them the title just months before. Again, they are a horrible bunch of mercenaries.

Not sure about top 4 this season though. Us and City top two with Chelsea third and Leicester fourth is my prediction. 

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think he would do a good job with them to be fair. They have some very good players up front and in saka and martinelli two really good young players. He would clean up that defence quickly and make them better in midfield with some snide fucker. He's a horrible bastard but has been a top manager. His  last Manc team have shown they are a bunch of snakes and it reflects more on them than him that he wasn't a success there. Granted he is poisonous in the long run and he fell out his last Chelsea team from a height of winning them the title just months before. Again, they are a horrible bunch of mercenaries.

Not sure about top 4 this season though. Us and City top two with Chelsea third and Leicester fourth is my prediction. 

We pretty much agree on everything, as far as the highlighted bit goes I reckon 4th spot is still up for grabs big style. The way Lampard sets up his team they'll struggle to take points of the better teams and still be susceptible to mid table teams. Obviously that would all depend on how Arsenal approach things in regards to their management, and if so when they do it. I agree on the top 3, Leicester might fall behind the pace of both ourselves and City but they have a decent starting 11 and decent enough squad players to manage a slump in form by a few players, or injury. I guess a lot will also depend on which clubs are willing to spend in January. With the Euros coming up next summer a lot of players will be cautious about swapping clubs until after that tournament. Could be a real quiet window as far as the big names go. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Just to add to that. I know Mourinho is a busted flush, but that normally kicks in after a season or two. Currently the PL is in a shit state. That is mainly down to the quality of the managers employed. A good manager shines through like a beacon on a dark night. Mourinho might split opinions but he'd piss top four with one of the bigger teams if given enough time. What happens in season 2 and 3 at that club is anyone's guess. 

4 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I liked your post and hate to quibble I'm not sure If I agree on that one. Two pretty amazing goals one of which was pretty glorious. You can't ask for all that much more from a forward.

Was talking mainly on his performance in the first half. I think someone said when he went more central in the 2nd half he came alive and Id agree with that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just to add to that. I know Mourinho is a busted flush, but that normally kicks in after a season or two. Currently the PL is in a shit state. That is mainly down to the quality of the managers employed. A good manager shines through like a beacon on a dark night. Mourinho might split opinions but he'd piss top four with one of the bigger teams if given enough time. What happens in season 2 and 3 at that club is anyone's guess. 

I really like Lampard and the way he has those horrible bastards playing. He's the manager that the Mancs hoped for from the Goblin Prince which is a bit hillarious though. You are right that they could have a slump of a few games because of his and his team's inexperience. They have a few old heads like Azilpicueta, Alonso, William and Kante which is a good starting point for their younger players. Leicester are a fine side, though they could lose players over the summer. I think unless they got mega money they won't sell in January.

The Mancs, Spurs and Arsenal look so far off them at the current time for me.

Agree on Mourinho possibly being the man to bridge it for Spurs or Arsenal if he went there in the next few weeks. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I really like Lampard and the way he has those horrible bastards playing. He's the manager that the Mancs hoped for from the Goblin Prince which is a bit hillarious though. You are right that they could have a slump of a few games because of his and his team's inexperience. They have a few old heads like Azilpicueta, Alonso, William and Kante which is a good starting point for their younger players. Leicester are a fine side, though they could lose players over the summer. I think unless they got mega money they won't sell in January.

The Mancs, Spurs and Arsenal look so far off them at the current time for me.

Agree on Mourinho possibly being the man to bridge it for Spurs or Arsenal if he went there in the next few weeks. 

Something is in the wind as regards to Spurs and Arsenal, more so Spurs. Yeah, I like Lampard myself, despite he played and now managers those cunts. Always well spoken and doesn't take himself so seriously. I'd still prefer Arsenal to edge them out of a top 4 spot mind. I was hoping Wolves would step up as well as Leicester and fuck all the others over. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Something is in the wind as regards to Spurs and Arsenal, more so Spurs. Yeah, I like Lampard myself, despite he played and now managers those cunts. Always well spoken and doesn't take himself so seriously. I'd still prefer Arsenal to edge them out of a top 4 spot mind. I was hoping Wolves would step up as well as Leicester and fuck all the others over. 

I always had a bit of a soft spot for Arsenal back in the day, when they were a team with players like Brady and their supporters were the most decent of the London clubs. I mean you would go for a few drinks with Claude and Robbie I reckon. 

My feeling is that Chelsea don't deserve a fella like Lampard.

11 hours ago, Trumo said:

Remember that CL tie when Adebayor scored after Walcott sprinted past half a dozen of ours? He did some shit dance thing in front of their fans. What did we do? Went up the other end to take the lead again, before confirming it in stoppage time.

I'll always remember Martin Skrtel, flat on his face having just conceded with about 7 minutes to go - and Pepe Reina basically hauling him up by the scruff of the neck and reminding him that we had 7 minutes in which to win the game. 

Do fans of normal teams get to experience the highs and lows that we do?