You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Genk 1 Liverpool 4 (Oct 24 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

An away win in the group stages! How about that? It's been a while. Two years and a week apparently. We can play better than this, a lot better, but why waste a top quality performance on a fixture where it isn’t needed? This was a game we should have been able to win comfortably in third gear, and that’s what we did.

Klopp made five changes to the side that drew at Old Trafford. Two of them were enforced but he may have made those anyway for rotational purposes. Trent and Matip were replaced by Milner and Lovren. Somewhat surprising that Gomez didn’t get the nod for either of those roles, but playing Milner at full back made sense because it was a game in which we’d be doing most of the attacking and Milner is much better at that than Joe.

Why he didn’t play at centre back is not as simple to explain, but it might have been due to Genk having a giant striker. Or it could just have been that Lovren performed better in his last game than Gomez did in his. Either way, the selection didn’t bother me as much as it seemed to bother LFC Twitter. It bothered them a lot more when Big Dejan got caught out late on to allow Genk to nab a consolation. More about that later.

The other changes to the side went well. Ox came in and scored two, Mo returned and had a goal and an assist while Keita was energetic and efficient and touched the ball more than anyone else on the field.

The overall performance was patchy though. We made the perfect start but then didn’t capitalise on it and let the game drift until half time, but the second half was much more like it and the scoreline was just about right on the balance of play. Defensively we had more trouble than Klopp would have liked, but most of that was a result of things going awry further up the field.

We gave the ball away too much, especially in the first half. It ws better after the break and we could have scored more than three. All the goals we scored were quality though. Ox took his first very well with an accurate low shot into the corner from 20 yards. He seems to be the only midfielder we have who is any sort of threat from outside the box, and than it itself gives him a strong case for regular selection.

We had chances to build on that early goal, the best of which fell to Mané following a glorious rabona pass from Bobby. I’m annoyed at Sadio for not finishing that because Bobby deserved that to end in a goal. It would have eclipsed the brilliant back heel assist he had for Mo against Newcastle.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic

Totally did my head in they scored that goal. 

And I don't think I agree with you about the banner. That WhatsApp fella is like a legend and I spend far less time looking at the colour of his skin than I do his cock. It's a joke. A pisstake. His skin colour is utterly immaterial. It would be just as funny if he were white. 

I'm happy to be corrected about that like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, rb14 said:

Totally did my head in they scored that goal. 

And I don't think I agree with you about the banner. That WhatsApp fella is like a legend and I spend far less time looking at the colour of his skin than I do his cock. It's a joke. A pisstake. His skin colour is utterly immaterial. It would be just as funny if he were white. 

I'm happy to be corrected about that like. 

As dave said its the wrong time especially with what happened last week, and to be fair was it ever a good time for it. At the very least it's disrespectful to Div,our our player. 

Some lazy stereotypes are more acceptable than others, you don’t need to be brain of Britain to know in this current climate that this one is not acceptable. It’s nowhere near the same league as those sickening scenes last week in Bulgaria but unacceptable all the same. I’m surprised someone printed it. We are generally brilliant at banners, witty too so it’s a shame to see this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, блядь said:

Some lazy stereotypes are more acceptable than others, you don’t need to be brain of Britain to know in this current climate that this one is not acceptable. It’s nowhere near the same league as those sickening scenes last week in Bulgaria but unacceptable all the same. I’m surprised someone printed it. We are generally brilliant at banners, witty too so it’s a shame to see this.

Very erudite comment. I can only assume whoever brought that banner of Divock has the means to print it themselves? Surely no commercial outfit would?

I only caught the game in patches and some of it on the radio, they were making out Naby was poor and got dispossessed frequently but from what I've read on the forum most think he did well. In the bits I saw on the first half he looked good. What's the consensus?

The midfield in most games of this season and next should be;

---------------Fabinho-----------------

Hendo/Keita/Ox--------Wijnaldum

With Hendo playing the difficult away games in Europe/top 4 opposition, Keita and Ox to share the games where we've got to take the initiative. Fabinho and Wijnaldum are locks for two of the three positions in my eyes.

I'm actually OK with phasing Milner out, despite his enormous contributions over the last couple of years. I'll support a 1-year extension to his contract, as his versatility saves us from having potential FB issues, but I think we're stocked in midfield. If we brought in a LB I'd be fine with him doing a Leeds swansong next year. With the new VAR-rules I doubt we'll get any more penalties as well!! Great servant though, and wish he was here a bit earlier in his career.

I would have really liked Grujic to kick on, as his playing style, shooting and heading ability would have helped us immensely when trying to attack the "low block" sides. As Ox showed yesterday, having a player to strike the ball cleanly from distance is sometimes necessary against these teams, and we really only have Trent as a genuine goal threat from distance at the moment. From what I gather, he's not getting as good reviews this season as last in the BL.

Agree the big games midfield three is the usual,  until such time that doesn't work/anyone else works their way in definitively. 

But Keita and Ox should he playing against all the shit now. Hopefully they reach/get back to a point where Klopp trusts them in the big games as they will add alot.

Milner definitely doesn't need to be phased out, he can still fill in in midfield, settle things off the bench in tough games. Theres just tough competition. He's both our reserve full backs and I'm fine with that.

I'm with you on the midfield balance. Twitter fans seem hell bent on Keita as the 2nd coming and have a real down on Henderson. To me the balance was wrong in this match and it did show the worth of Hendo / Gini. Keita could well develop into something special but as yet it's been flashes of good play, disrupted by injury. I honestly hope he comes good but for the moment I would play one of Gini or Hendo or Milner every game with one of Ox /Keita. Fabinho should always play (until he gets the inevitable suspension).

• dave u unpinned this topic