You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jamie apologises to evra for Suarez t shirt protest.

dockers_strike

At the end of the day Luis Suarez was the victim in that whole saga, a saga wholly orchestrated by that lying shithouse Evra, and for all of Luis' undoubted character flaws and idiotic misdeeds we should support him over that episode, both then and now.

It's unfortunate for Jamie that he should find himself in that uncomfortable position where he's put on the spot on national tv, face to face with Evra, but the solution should be a simple one - tell the truth, even if it's an unpopular, unpalatable truth. Tell the truth, do the right thing not necessarily the easy thing.

Carragher's failure to do this may be understandable but it is disappointing and casts a shadow over his integrity. Such a shame.

• Upvote 9

I wouldn't be apologising for anything. Not to that lying cunt.

Compare the version of events he gave that initially led to the charges being brought, to the actual findings in the report. There is a discussion to be had about whether what Suarez said was racist or not (it's a nuanced conversation), but there is no debate whatsoever that Evra continually changed his story and lied about what words were used and how many times they were used.

He's a twat and deserves no apology.

• Upvote 17

Just now, dave u said:

I wouldn't be apologising for anything. Not to that lying cunt.

Compare the version of events he gave that initially led to the charges being brought, to the actual findings in the report. There is a discussion to be had about whether what Suarez said was racist or not (it's a nuanced conversation), but there is no debate whatsoever that Evra continually changed his story and lied about what words were used and how many times they were used.

He's a twat and deserves no apology.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed that Carra decided to apologise over this for those reasons. I think the shirts were pretty much poorly thought out but I can understand why it happened. That said, some of the vitriol on here aimed towards a club legend is way over the top. 

47 minutes ago, skaro said:

From memory, you rigorously didn't and don't think Suarez was proven guilty in this matter.

Would you have apologised to Evra - so as not to be branded a racist and to make sure you could continue to get work?

It's a cunt of a situation and I'm glad I'm not in it. I don't think I would have gone as far as apologise... actually, thinking about it, I  can't hold my water, so I probably would have torn into the FA, the media, the club (for failing to appeal) and Evra for being a cunt.

I'm not always as smart as I should be. 

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The beginning.

You’re watching the Sky-shortened video, aren’t you? Well they got you hook, line and sinker - I guess that’s what it’s there for.

If you are interested in the full version rather than soundbites, Carragher launches the Suárez conversation completely unprompted at 3 min 25 second on the 10 min video below

>> 

It's a bit sanctimonious on Carragher's part but I feel bad for people who don't/didn't see anything wrong with the t-shirt protest, I really do. Doesn't matter that Dalglish was involved. He's a great man but great men also make mistakes. It was a terrible look. Putting aside the conspiracies and everything else surrounding the incident, I find it uncomfortable that people can't admit that.

Also, a public apology like this is decent PR for the club even though it's several years removed.

How is it decent PR for the club? It opens up an incident from years ago and just leads to another round of labelling LFC and it’s fans as racist. It’s not even from the club. It should never have been raised, and all it’s done is overshadow the racist behaviour of a United fan who abused TAA. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a bit sanctimonious on Carragher's part but I feel bad for people who don't/didn't see anything wrong with the t-shirt protest, I really do. Doesn't matter that Dalglish was involved. He's a great man but great men also make mistakes. It was a terrible look. Putting aside the conspiracies and everything else surrounding the incident, I find it uncomfortable that people can't admit that.

Also, a public apology like this is decent PR for the club even though it's several years removed.

3 Stacks going all Tom Watson on us.

• Upvote 6

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd like to know how it is decent PR for the club. The majority of people outside the Uk and Evra's circle couldn't give a fuck, those who do will judge it as an Apology from Carragher himself and carry on dissing our club as they normally do. 

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

How is it decent PR for the club? It opens up an incident from years ago and just leads to another round of labelling LFC and it’s fans as racist. It’s not even from the club. It should never have been raised, and all it’s done is overshadow the racist behaviour of a United fan who abused TAA. 

Should have been left alone. Sky twats.

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'd like to know how it is decent PR for the club. The majority of people outside the Uk and Evra's circle couldn't give a fuck, those who do will judge it as an Apology from Carragher himself and carry on dissing our club as they normally do. 

Because you get the apology out there and now people can stop talking about it. There's no need for another "Evra + Ex-Liverpool player discussing the incident" segment after this one. And again, despite the perception from Liverpool fans that the club And Suarez were screwed, the general perception is that he was a racist and we enabled it. At least, this somewhat goes against that notion.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a bit sanctimonious on Carragher's part but I feel bad for people who don't/didn't see anything wrong with the t-shirt protest, I really do. Doesn't matter that Dalglish was involved. He's a great man but great men also make mistakes. It was a terrible look.

To be honest it was so long ago it’s sort of water under the bridge — if Carragher hadn’t been paid to bring it up by Sky it wouldn’t even be a conversation point. My main discomfort is with individuals with pretty dodgy records at best launching careers off the back of the club (Carragher has his newfound career off the back of being an LFC player - that simple) but having no hesitation whatsoever to put the boot in when it’s profitable.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because you get the apology out there and now people can stop talking about it. There's no need for another "Evra + Ex-Liverpool player discussing the incident" segment after this one. And again, despite the perception from Liverpool fans that the club And Suarez were screwed, the general perception is that he was a racist and we enabled it. At least, this somewhat goes against that notion.

That won't happen though. It has just opened an old wound and Manc fans and the Uk media will gladly beat that drum. As I said, outside of the Uk and Evra's circle nobody gives a shit. 

I live in Germany as you know and they are football mad. Not once has anybody mentioned the Evra incident when I have chatted to them about the Club and Suarez, they all mention the fact he's a sneaky cannibal mind. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because you get the apology out there and now people can stop talking about it. 

People weren't talking about it.  Haven't, pretty much, since it happened.  Except on here.

Suarez's palpable, blatant and repeated biting, as well as his brilliant football, have and will always be much bigger talking points - for those who can continue to be arsed - than a contentious, questionable incident with a contentious, questionable opponent (read: twat) like Evra.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Should have been left alone. Sky twats.

We're top of the league by 6 points, it is clearly an angle for trying to get at the club using this as a platform to do so.  Carragher just sucked the teet that feeds him without thinking, which is quite obviously not a strong point of his. It remains to be seen if Sky run with this further or they bring up some other shit to stir. 

The t-shirts were a bad move, the way the entire thing was handled by the club was a PR disaster, we supported Luis when we should have stepped back and waited for the investigation, we opportunistically didn't appeal after he was suspended, Kenny was allowed to give an interview after the handshake completely unprepared... We persistently made wrong decisions every step of the way.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

To be honest it was so long ago it’s sort of water under the bridge — if Carragher hadn’t been paid to bring it up by Sky it wouldn’t even be a conversation point. My main discomfort is with individuals with pretty dodgy records at best launching careers off the back of the club (Carragher has his newfound career off the back of being an LFC player - that simple) but having no hesitation whatsoever to put the boot in when it’s profitable.

Pretty dodgy record?

Care to elaborate?

He threw a coin back at Arsenal fans and spat at that fella. What else?

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The t-shirts were a bad move, the way the entire thing was handled by the club was a PR disaster, we supported Luis when we should have stepped back and waited for the investigation, we opportunistically didn't appeal after he was suspended, Kenny was allowed to give an interview after the handshake completely unprepared... We persistently made wrong decisions every step of the way.

The way the Firmino Holgate thing played out showed they learned from their mistakes too. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, skaro said:

People weren't talking about it.  Haven't, pretty much, since it happened.  Except on here.

Doesn't matter. Apologizing is just the decent thing to do even if it wasn't prompted. Actually, especially if it wasn't prompted because it doesn't look forced.

And there's some form of closure now because it was always a bad look to the outside that the club or someone there had never expressed regret for how the situation unfolded.